Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 06:05 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,591,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
You are seriously showing how you know NOTHING.. You do realize Florida just passed up NY in population. Have you seen the commercial ads BEGGING companies to come to NY - Tax free for 10 years.

START-UP NY |

New York
‘Wall St.’ flees NY for tax-free Fla. | New York Post
State is dealing with the consequences of its wintry climate for businesses - Opinion - The Buffalo News

I own my own business in NJ, i make over 6 digits and i am leaving NJ. NJ is taxed to death , we have the highest property taxes in the country, we have tolls out the ass, high gas , high insurance costs , state income tax , everything is tax tax tax.. Im paying 11k a year for a house built in the 1960s with only 1800 sq ft and a sub par school system...

MANY people are leaving NJ from all the taxes , not because we cant afford it but we are not going to work just to pay taxes and have it wasted in the politicians hands. NJ and NY are the most corrupt states.
NJ doesnt have as many jobs as you think , yeah we have Medical jobs since its big around here but other then that not much, most people work in NYC and live in NJ. People that work and live in NYC are moving into NJ since the cost of living is getting out of control.
You forgot to mention that towns with high property taxes, high housing values and good schools are forced to take in riff-raff to live there essentially for free and destroy all of the foregoing. The next big thing is "shared services", which means the towns that pay the most in taxes will subsidize the poorer towns while the poorer towns (often with more people) use a disproportionately larger amount of services.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 06:26 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Spent 15 years in Connecticut. Spent 15 years in Texas. Now I'm back in Connecticut.

No difference in personal freedom. I am happier in Connecticut because it's more congruent with the things I enjoy in life. As far as freedom goes-- No difference.
Tell that to the tens of thousands of Connecticut residents who are now required to register their firearms. Texas has far more liberty and freedom than any of the New England States could ever hope to have. New Englanders love their tyrannical governments.

Old 03-06-2014, 06:29 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,405,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Tell that to the tens of thousands of Connecticut residents who are now required to register their firearms. Texas has far more liberty and freedom than any of the New England States could ever hope to have. New Englanders love their tyrannical governments.
They also love their high graduation rates, high insurance, premium high schools and universities, high paying jobs, lower rates of teen pregnancy, lower rates of obesity, and high percentage of insured residents.

Old 03-06-2014, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikBEggs View Post
We can discuss the tax-flight BS train in another thread. To put it bluntly, it is a right-wing talking point with no substance.

. . .

NJ has some of the cheapest gas in the country, so I don't know how to take the rest of your post seriously.
Really? Cheap gas? So you think that the three cents per gallon that you save in gas makes up for $11,000 in property taxes, among other things? Do you realize you would need to put 367,000 gallons of gas in your car per year to make out on that deal?

Old 03-06-2014, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Really? Cheap gas? So you think that the three cents per gallon that you save in gas makes up for $11,000 in property taxes, among other things? Do you realize you would need to put 367,000 gallons of gas in your car per year to make out on that deal?
No, you claimed New Jersey gas was high. New Jersey has very low gas, and the 3rd lowest gas tax in the country. The reason the gas tax is low is because of the NJTP and GSP being the major highways and NJ being a small state via public highway-miles.

What do you think your property taxes pay for? There are NO FREE LUNCHES. You are more than welcome to move to a lower tax state, but lower taxes mean lower services. It is just fact.

Old 03-06-2014, 06:36 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I've lived in very red parts of red states, in east TN, oppressed by a fanatically religious majority and a government elected in kind. I'm currently living in a very blue part of a blue state, Boston, and have seen liberals elected in kind. Both are nearly equally disgusting.

In TN, the government is into your sexual and religious business. In MA, the government is more into your financial business with taxes and regulations. But nowhere have I felt more oppressed than in the "purple" state of VA where the VSP is lined up every five miles apprehending people for minor traffic violations. It is the worst state I have ever been in for government oppression.

Have you noticed any major or nominal differences in oppression between red and blue states?

Nope

We live in the middle of the midwest. Most people keep religion and their private lives private. I have never felt "oppressed" by the state government nor are there any rules or regulations here I find impossible to live with. Our state has high taxes, but I can see those tax dollars put to good use in roads, schools, parks, and a fairly clean environment. I would, however, like our state to legalize automatic weapons and silencers (particularly the silencers, as you would not have to wear ear protection when shooting rifles) but that is not a "deal breaker". Some consider the DNR (natural resources) to be intrusive into private land, but I have never had a DNR officer bother me on my land.

Old 03-06-2014, 06:43 PM

Quote:
No, you claimed New Jersey gas was high. New Jersey has very low gas, and the 3rd lowest gas tax in the country. The reason the gas tax is low is because of the NJTP and GSP being the major highways and NJ being a small state via public highway-miles.

What do you think your property taxes pay for? There are NO FREE LUNCHES. You are more than welcome to move to a lower tax state, but lower taxes mean lower services. It is just fact.
I didn't say the gas tax was high, but low gas taxes are nothing in comparison to everything else. I'm not sure what great services we get for exorbitant property taxes. I have to pay a private company to pick up my trash.

Old 03-06-2014, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I didn't say the gas tax was high, but low gas taxes are nothing in comparison to everything else. I'm not sure what great services we get for exorbitant property taxes. I have to pay a private company to pick up my trash.
Like I said... what keeps you from moving to the beautiful free tax-friendly pasture that is the South?

Old 03-06-2014, 09:26 PM

20,334 posts, read 19,925,039 times
Quote:
We can discuss the tax-flight BS train in another thread. To put it bluntly, it is a right-wing talking point with no substance.

No one is going to go leave Wall Street to go raise their kids in the hellhole that is Florida. People leave the Northeast for weather when they retire..
You are so right. If you're a Wall Street 1%'er, or a 20%'er for that matter, life is great no matter where you live.

As I said in a previous post, if you're one of those saps bringing in 70K, even 80K or less, well, enjoy your apt living or paying out the a** for your old, small house and high property taxes that go with it.

Fortunately for my family, I can afford it as I make quite a bit more.

For the average workin' stiff in NJ, not so much.

Oh well.

Old 03-06-2014, 10:26 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,907,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I've lived in very red parts of red states, in east TN, oppressed by a fanatically religious majority and a government elected in kind. I'm currently living in a very blue part of a blue state, Boston, and have seen liberals elected in kind. Both are nearly equally disgusting.

In TN, the government is into your sexual and religious business. In MA, the government is more into your financial business with taxes and regulations. But nowhere have I felt more oppressed than in the "purple" state of VA where the VSP is lined up every five miles apprehending people for minor traffic violations. It is the worst state I have ever been in for government oppression.

Have you noticed any major or nominal differences in oppression between red and blue states?
Not really. They just emphasis different aspects of freedom; in blue states you have the freedom to buy liquor any day of the week while red states love to force blue laws on the books which are all religiously based, you have more freedom of and from religion in blue states, you can often legally buy pot in blue states, there is often marriage equality in blue states, etc... Where as in red states you tend to have the state trying to get between a woman's legs to dictate what she does with her own body, you see lots of red states trying to force personal religious beliefs on other people and they want my tax dollars to subsidize their personal religion, they do want to let everyone who wants one get a gun but I don't see that as a good thing and instead blue states seem to have struck the right balance where the law abiding people can still get guns but the nutjobs and criminals have a harder time of it.

Over all I'd have to give the balance to blue states as being more free than red states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies