Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2014, 10:58 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I also live in big Ag country.
Most of the ones working out in the fields don't own the big farms and ranches.
It's your hobby farmer that shows up at Farmer Markets but they don't own and farm 500-1000 acres.

Might be different out by you but that's how it seems to be working here in Texas.
I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT FARMER'S MARKETS WHEN I SAY THE SCHOOL LUNCH PROGRAM WAS ESTABLISHED IN PART TO GIVE FARMERS A MARKET FOR THEIR PRODUCTS!!!!! If you live in Big Ag country you should know that. Another poster thought "giving farmers a market for their products" meant Farmer's Markets! Farmers grow corn for products made of corn and animal feed; soybeans, ditto, wheat, ditto; hay, ditto. The school lunch program provides a market for these crops, as food is made from them. Jeez! Who would have thought that would need to be explained?

Most of the farmers in Illinois owned at least part of the land they farmed, when we lived there. The situation appears to be the same in Nebraska, where DH is from. And these farmers LOVE, LOVE, LOVE their crop subsidies.
Senate passes five-year farm bill cutting subsidies for some | Fox News

One time when we were visiting in Nebraska, John McCain was all hopped up about the popcorn subsidy, which benefits many farmers in Nebraska.
John McCain burned about popcorn provision - POLITICO.com

If you (and 3~Shepherds) don't like these links, there are plenty more to be found.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2014, 12:00 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,075,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberal01 View Post
I was always amazed with number of obese Midwesterners. Could this be a reason why?
Have you ever been to the Midwest? It's basically the best of all worlds!

Old 03-09-2014, 07:52 PM

259 posts, read 151,498 times
Why did you think I mentioned the number of obese Midwesterners ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post

Old 03-09-2014, 09:25 PM

5,944 posts, read 5,584,802 times
Default More than 1 MILLION students stopped buying school lunches after Michelle Obama's overhaul

Yep.

They graduated from HS.

No more free lunch, boys and girls.

Old 03-09-2014, 09:50 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,009,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT FARMER'S MARKETS WHEN I SAY THE SCHOOL LUNCH PROGRAM WAS ESTABLISHED IN PART TO GIVE FARMERS A MARKET FOR THEIR PRODUCTS!!!!! If you live in Big Ag country you should know that. Another poster thought "giving farmers a market for their products" meant Farmer's Markets! Farmers grow corn for products made of corn and animal feed; soybeans, ditto, wheat, ditto; hay, ditto. The school lunch program provides a market for these crops, as food is made from them. Jeez! Who would have thought that would need to be explained?

Most of the farmers in Illinois owned at least part of the land they farmed, when we lived there. The situation appears to be the same in Nebraska, where DH is from. And these farmers LOVE, LOVE, LOVE their crop subsidies.

One time when we were visiting in Nebraska, John McCain was all hopped up about the popcorn subsidy, which benefits many farmers in Nebraska.

If you (and 3~Shepherds) don't like these links, there are plenty more to be found.
Eat this link as you don't know what your talking about. This thread is about school lunches. It was mentioned that contracts with big ag get most of that money and you are talking about popcorn subsidies for some reason. Why because you are wrong.

Contracts with the Big Three Companies and their Role in the NSLP

The US food service contracting industry has been centered on three source companies: Aramark, Compass Group, and Sodexo. With a combined annual revenue of about $43 billion in 2009, the school lunch sector is highly concentrated and dominated by these three giant multinational companies. In total, the eight largest companies hold 75 percent of school contracts. These companies do not strictly provide food services to schools. Aramark is not only the world’s third largest contract food service provider in theUnited States, but also the second largest uniform supplier. Ten percent of school lunch providers have 100 or more employees, compared with two percent of the entire food service industry. The equally concentrated supply chain for food products magnifies the size and power of these companies.

School Food, Inc.: The Contracting of America

Old 03-09-2014, 10:02 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,009,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
Folks actually say hi to each other and talk and shoot the ****. Of course this is flyover country to the left.........they think we are all gun totin, bible thumpin, racist rednecks.

Old 03-10-2014, 08:53 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,940,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I also live in big Ag country.
Most of the ones working out in the fields don't own the big farms and ranches.
It's your hobby farmer that shows up at Farmer Markets but they don't own and farm 500-1000 acres.

Might be different out by you but that's how it seems to be working here in Texas.
That's how it seems here in Idaho. Most of the people have 5-20 acres and bring their goods to the market. Not sure, many ranchers sell hay or would want to haul it to a farmer's market. That's the last place I'd buy hay when I owned horses, the cost alone to buy it that way isn't worth it.

Old 03-10-2014, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
FWIW, I asked by wife who is a teacher about the status of food waste. They have setup a share table where kids can place items they don't want from the prepackaged meals and can take items they do want. By the end of the day almost all the food is gone. She also talked about the unripened, frozen fruit that the district keeps serving to kids. She and some of the other teachers, collect it, ripen it and redistribute it to their students.
This is very smart idea, just shows when left to think for ourselves there is a solution.

Old 03-10-2014, 08:56 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
That's how it seems here in Idaho. Most of the people have 5-20 acres and bring their goods to the market. Not sure, many ranchers sell hay or would want to haul it to a farmer's market. That's the last place I'd buy hay when I owned horses, the cost alone to buy it that way isn't worth it.
I've never seen hay sold at Farmer's Markets.

When I need hay I buy local and I go to their place to pick it up in the barn.
And they are small producers as well.

Not many of the small producers get any help from the government.
They deal direct with the consumers and trade/barter among themselves.

Old 03-10-2014, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

Sorry! Guess I did misunderstand you.

This program is probably part of the reason for overweight children. All that you listed in bold people are either allergic to it or there are side effects. Hard to control children-adult diseases when our children are told this is "healthy food", but not all ingredients are healthy.

Since they added corn to dog food more dogs have skin/ear issues.

By the way what would they put "hay" in school lunches....or is this a Jeez question?

Did you know this was in the farm bill.........com/story/10354-its-now-a-federal-crime-for-you-to-attend-a-dog-fight]It's Now A Federal Crime For You to Attend a Dog Fight
Amazing we have to have a bill that addresses this it should just be common sense, but why in a Farm Bill?

Quote:
I'd say he was gettiing this one right!
Indeed, it all began as an almost advisory opinion: the secretary of Agriculture “may” do such and such on popcorn’s behalf. But with little public notice, a “technical correction” to the bill in May changed “may” to “shall” in what’s become a full-fledged campaign to qualify popcorn growers for what could be millions in revenue insurance subsidies.

Read more: John McCain burned about popcorn provision - POLITICO.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies