Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 12:53 PM

29,220 posts, read 22,400,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
Nothing is ever Obama's fault. Haven't you learned anything from the first five years of his failed Presidency?
Well, apparently, you haven't learned to avoid over-generalization. There's always something to learn for everyone, every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 04:56 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,987,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Except when it collapses an economy to its knees. People on this page talk about online sales killing jobs at Toys R Us, Best Buy, Radio Shack, Kmart, Sears, ect. those jobs lost wont come back (to an extent thank goodness.) The low wage jobs at least somewhat help the economy, cut them off entirely and you'll have less buyers which will decrease aggregate demand and cut down workers even more. Does anyone else not see this as a problem?

Even than progress is great.

Old 03-07-2014, 06:50 PM

11,148 posts, read 10,723,889 times
I'm not shedding tears over Radio Shack putting themselves out of business. I can remember when they were the place to go for hobbyists, and even when you needed an oddball part for some appliances. Now they're a glorified cell phone store that has a huge markup on all of their merchandise.

Old 03-07-2014, 06:56 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,489,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Recovery Summer 2014 Begins: Radio Shack to Close 1,100 Store; Staples to Close 225 Stores
Seems normal to me.

[trimming fat]

Old 03-07-2014, 08:05 PM

32,105 posts, read 15,096,294 times

What exactly does this have to do with Obama. If you read the article it says Radio Shack is struggling to compete with the online and discount retailers. So how is this Obama's fault. If retailers can't keep up with their competition then of course they will loose profits and have to close. Just look at Blockbuster. They couldn't compete with their online competition so they are no more....which is sad because I loved them.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:26 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,241,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
1,325 stores...that's a lot of employees without jobs.
Yeah, well once upon a time we had people delivering ice. Thousands of them.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:31 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,682,811 times
What I wonder about is...since online purchasing is exploding, why are delivery jobs not exploding? A guy in a truck can only make so many stops a day. UPS, FedEx, USPS, etc ought to be hiring like crazy. At least some displaced retail workers ought to be able to drive a brown truck, right?

I know Amazon is working on delivery drones to fly the stuff to your house....but that's a ways off.

In the meantime, it's going to take a guy jumping out of a truck and running up to your door with your stuff!

Old 03-07-2014, 08:40 PM

57 posts, read 79,554 times
Once a very useful electronics store, my last three visits there were almost a complete waste of time. The employees are clueless about the merchandise, the prices are off the wall, and the stock of things most likely needed at a Radio Shack are at or near zero. Might as well close em all. They'll never see me in there again.

Old 03-07-2014, 10:14 PM

2,801 posts, read 2,312,007 times
The state Radio Shack is in has little to do with the state of the economy as a whole which is doing pretty good from MY eyes ... The newest Radio Shack ads talk about leaving the eighties behind them and renewing their stores ... UMMMM Radio Shack was the popular store it was in the Eighties(and before) BECAUSE of the store it was, they started to decline when they decided to become a Computer then a Cell Phone store.

Throughout the eighties and beyond I spend thousands at Radio Shack; a transistor for a project or repair, a CD Player, VCR(remember those?), etc.. I even still have the speakers I purchased close to twenty years ago.

What is the target market for stores like Staples? Buyers in offices don't go to places like Staples, they open a catalog then go on-line or call and order what they need delivered to the office as soon as the next day, I did this at a previous job.

Last edited by JohnnyMack; 03-07-2014 at 10:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies