Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 07:50 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,163,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Taxes do not destroy obsolete business models.

Nothing a federal state, county or municipal government can do to save obsolete business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Business models are certainly a valid consideration, but lets not pretend that the economy is making great strides. When an established company is forced to close stores, its undeniable that part and parcel of that decision was the result of the lagging economy.
Taxes destroy all business models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Under the Patriot Act, that could be construed as Economic Terrorism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
This is the tip of the iceberg of brick and mortar store closings over the next 5 to 10 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
These little stores may not seem like much, but start adding them all up, it is a big freaking deal. And more people to be laid off, this is never good. Start looking at the bigger picture!

How can anyone with any smarts ignore this.
It's okay....Boomers are leaving the work-force (snicker).

Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
I'm actually hopeful that 2014 will truly be the year our economy takes off. Obamacare is now firmly established and Republicans have eased on their obstructionism this year. No more sequester, tax increases, government shut downs, or radical changes in healthcare policy.
Um, Obamacare is going to crash your economy.

That's why the Boy King is in a total panic and continuously delaying implementation of key provisions.

Quote:
I mean no snark when I ask what would suddenly cause the U.S. economy to take off?
A plague.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Blame income inequality. No more middle class, no need for Red Lobster.
"Income Inequality" is a personal choice...people choose to throw away their wealth....it's their right, you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrexDigit View Post
I think we'll see a pop when some of these cash reserves come in from the sidelines.
Blah, blah, blah, blah.....enlighten us and tell us why corporations are holding huge cash reserves.

And, why, no, the answer is not in your Talking Points E-Mail.

Quote:
I'd be damned before I worked for minimum wage picking crops out in the hot sun.
Yes, you will be damned.

Quote:
If we start talking 15.00 an hour then maybe. Anything less than that and my head will be turned. Farmers in America will pay illegals less than minimum wage to do that job. Who do you think they want to hire?
You want them illegals hired, too, otherwise, you couldn't afford food prices.

If Americans had to actually pay what it cost, then you had best get used to eating beef tongue, and pork, beef and chicken liver, and beef tripe and hog maws and chitlins, and pork brains.

Quote:
And Bill Clinton signed NAFTA. Forgot that one. Globalization wasn't a big factor in manufacturing jobs until NAFTA and China was given Most Favored Nation status. Also a Bill Clinton "accomplishment."
Globalization? You mean development?

Development of 3rd and 4th World States was always going to happen. It was merely a matter of time.

How much longer do you think the US could afford to oppress those States politically, socially and economically?

BRIC totally blind-sided everyone in the West...nobody saw that coming. It's not just that BRIC is developing States, but that BRIC is developing multiple States simultaneously, and much faster than anyone believed those States could be developed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
No, there are over 11,000 Starbucks in the US, which means Starbucks is literally everywhere in America.
Uh-huh.....right up until BRIC gains control of those States.

Then you'll be lucky to have 1,000 Starsux.

The US and Britain murdered heads-of-State in sub-Saharan Africa and illegally over-threw governments to install puppet dictators.

Africa, especially sub-Saharan Africa was a net-exporter of food crops. The US and Britain plowed under all of the food crops, and started growing coffee, chocolate and sugar cane.

Sure, Millions of Africans died of starvation during the 1980s, because Americans took great delight in coffee and chocolate and sugar, but who gives a damn? Cheap coffee is more important than a bunch of spear-chuckers, right?

What do you think BRIC will do, once BRIC gains control of those States? And, yes, BRIC will gain control without firing a shot or committing murder like the US and Britain does.

BRIC is going to plow under all of your coffee, chocolate and sugar cane, to grow food once again to feed the people of sub-Saharan Africa and to export to major global markets.

What will happen to the price of coffee, chocolate and sugar once the Supply is reduced?

I sure wouldn't wanna be stuck holding Starsux stock.

Closing...

Mircea
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 08:38 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,328,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The little fish go first.
But let's just ignore it because they aren't big enough.

Boeing..600 layoffs
ToysRUs..200 layoffs
Best Buy..2000 layoffs
Sony..400 layoffs
JPMorgan..8000 layoffs
etc.

Daily Job Cuts - Layoff News , Job Layoffs 2014 / 2013 , Bankruptcy, Store closings, Business Economy News
The radio shack store here in Benson AZ was one of them to close.
The location was immediately filled by a Verizon store.
Radio Shack is a dinosaur and has been struggling for a long time now, it's simply being replaced by other companies that are more in tune with todays' consumers - that's the way FREE ENTERPRISE works.

I lived in Seattle for 30 years, and Boeing layed off people all the time - often while similtaniously hiring. That happens with big companies a lot. Folks in one division get laid off while other divisions (sometimes in other parts of the country) are hiring.

Layoffs happen ALL the time - even when the economy is booming (the weekly new UE claims number probably hasn't been below 250,000 in 30 years or more). That's the normal "churning" of an economy where - even in good times - some companies or plant locations shut down while others elsewhere are opening. What actually reflects how the economy is doing is the NET CHANGE in the number of jobs (which went up 175,000 last month).

Ken

Old 03-07-2014, 09:04 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Chicago actually, but my point is that Radio Shack doesn't have much of a presence or any real relevance to my generation. I was 15 when I last went to Radio Shack and the location I went to no longer exists. For the record, Blockbuster is likely facing a similar fate in the long term. I guess they can become a used DVD retailer instead of a video rental retailer.
Blockbuster is another example of an obsolete business model. The company was formed in the mid 80's. At peak, in 2008, they had about 3500 U.S. retail stores and employed about 40,000. A retail store manager made $30,000-50,000 year, dependent upon store volume and profits. These numbers do not include international operations nor franchises which employed more than 30,000.

Two years later, in 2010, they filed for bankruptcy because they could not compete with Netflix and Redbox. The lousy economy, taxes, regulations and the 2008 presidential elections had no impact on their demise. After 25 years, the Blockbuster business model had simply and abruptly become obsolete. Thousands of small business, independently-owned DVD retailers incurred the same fate as did their respective business owners and employees. All of these retail operations relied on other services and suppliers which incurred a ripple effect.

In contrast, Netflix evolved and then some. They have about 40 million subscribers and 2500 employees.
Redbox has about 700 employees and relies mostly on outsourcing to third parties. .

There is no historical precedence for the pace of obsolescence that has and will continue to occur.

How long will the masses continue to keep their heads buried in the sand and blame big bad government, is anyone's guess.

While both of these companies would be favorably disposed to tax cuts, the use of technology means they have no need to employ more people. Instead, their shareholders would likely receive a higher dividend which does not translate into jobs.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:11 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,934,015 times
LOL, A Radio Shack literally just opened up near my house and there already was one a mile away. I haven't been to either.

I guess someone didn't get the memo.

I agree with the "showrooming" concept mentioned in the article for a reason why retail stores are becoming obsolete. I often go to a Best Buy or something to look around and end up buying the same product online for the cheapest I can find. And Amazon Prime is really great-I buy the most random and useful things from Amazon.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Your facts are off. You completely missed the action by Clinton in 1993.

William J. Clinton: Statement on Most-Favored-Nation Trade Status for China

Clinton Grants China MFN, Reversing Campaign Pledge - The Tech

Isn't it just amazing how you glossed over the entire Presidency of Bill Clinton in your zest to provide incomplete facts?

Actually, no, it's not amazing at all. It's totally expected, as with every other post you put forth protecting Democrats. We're not surprised.
Isn't it just amazing how you glossed over that China had a MFN status 1934-1952 which was restored in 1980 and reaffirmed annually thereafter, until 2001, when the MFN status became permanent.

Are you aware that the U.S. has MFN relationships with hundreds of nations since 1934. Most favored does not mean the only favored nation. And almost all are now permanent.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:27 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,474,269 times
Quote:
Without context, this is a blatant lie.
Funny, you could say that about a bunch of things.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:50 AM

2,172 posts, read 1,453,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Blah, blah, blah, blah.....enlighten us and tell us why corporations are holding huge cash reserves.

And, why, no, the answer is not in your Talking Points E-Mail.

Mircea
Blah, blah, blah, blah seems to be all you're good at. So much copying & pasting, so little insight.
Those aren't talking points. Those are factors I witness trading the markets every day.
Get back to me when you understand fundamentals and technical analysis.

Old 03-07-2014, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

Development of 3rd and 4th World States was always going to happen. It was merely a matter of time.

How much longer do you think the US could afford to oppress those States politically, socially and economically?

BRIC totally blind-sided everyone in the West...nobody saw that coming. It's not just that BRIC is developing States, but that BRIC is developing multiple States simultaneously, and much faster than anyone believed those States could be developed.

The US and Britain murdered heads-of-State in sub-Saharan Africa and illegally over-threw governments to install puppet dictators.

Africa, especially sub-Saharan Africa was a net-exporter of food crops. The US and Britain plowed under all of the food crops, and started growing coffee, chocolate and sugar cane.

Sure, Millions of Africans died of starvation during the 1980s, because Americans took great delight in coffee and chocolate and sugar, but who gives a damn? Cheap coffee is more important than a bunch of spear-chuckers, right?

What do you think BRIC will do, once BRIC gains control of those States? And, yes, BRIC will gain control without firing a shot or committing murder like the US and Britain does.

BRIC is going to plow under all of your coffee, chocolate and sugar cane, to grow food once again to feed the people of sub-Saharan Africa and to export to major global markets.

What will happen to the price of coffee, chocolate and sugar once the Supply is reduced?

I sure wouldn't wanna be stuck holding Starsux stock.

Closing...

Mircea
Worthy of a repeat....... and it flies in the face of those who seem to believe the U.S. constitution entitles them to a substantially higher quality lifestyle than the majority of earth's people, just because some wealthy guy with false teeth, assembled from the natural teeth of his African slaves, said so.

Old 03-07-2014, 10:07 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Quote:
You can't be serious. There are Radio Shacks everywhere, and you didn't know they still exist? If these general observations are lacking, how and why should we trust your observations on people and politics? Talk about out of the loop! Geez.

FYI. Wal-mart is still in business too!
They aren't as relevant. I haven't gone in one in several years and don't think I ever purchased anything at one. There's better options whether it is Target or Walmart or Amazon for me.

And before anyone says anything about the commercial not being a success. I am SO SURE they didn't spend millions on the commercial and other youtube commercials based on it and then realized, we don't have the money to run these stores. It is weird timing but not cause-effect.

As for BRIC taking over, India and China are the only ones who will. Brazil never really took off and Russia has political turmoil with the Ukraine crisis as well as a very corrupt way of doing business.

Old 03-07-2014, 10:09 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,543,209 times
Quote:
Worthy of a repeat....... and it flies in the face of those who seem to believe the U.S. constitution entitles them to a substantially higher quality lifestyle than the majority of earth's people, just because some wealthy guy with false teeth, assembled from the natural teeth of his African slaves, said so.
Are you volunteering for income reduction?

No I didn't think so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies