Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 03:52 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,401,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
More here

This is why we need ID's to vote with verification they are citizens.
Then provide them for free by the state and no GOP funny business.

Did you forget... voting is a right, not a privilege.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 03:53 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,358,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Guess we missed the 21st amendment.

Also, since it is a right and all, I'm sure your for not requiring ID to buy a gun as well?
Guess you ALSO missed where the 21st doesnt grant any rights, it just repeals a amendment?

And Im for not requiring ID to buy a gun.

And while *I* am not for requiring id to buy a gun, I don't feel horrifically strong about it per se. The idea behind it isnt to deprive you of your right, whereas the major driving force behind voter id laws IS voter suppression.

I dont think gun permits etc should EVER be charged for either. Shrug.

Old 03-06-2014, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Voting isn't MANDATORY either, you don't HAVE to vote.
Voting is a right. Discussion over.

Old 03-06-2014, 04:12 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,816,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Guess you ALSO missed where the 21st doesnt grant any rights, it just repeals a amendment?

And Im for not requiring ID to buy a gun.

And while *I* am not for requiring id to buy a gun, I don't feel horrifically strong about it per se. The idea behind it isnt to deprive you of your right, whereas the major driving force behind voter id laws IS voter suppression.

I dont think gun permits etc should EVER be charged for either. Shrug.
Voter ID is to suppres illegal votes, it has nothing to do with valid voters, that is all. For every fraudulent vote cast each legal vote is less valuable. Voting is the bedrock of this nation and the pool of voters should not be watered down with the dead, illegal imigrants and fraudulant votes.

Old 03-06-2014, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Voter ID is to suppres illegal votes, it has nothing to do with valid voters, that is all. For every fraudulent vote cast each legal vote is less valuable. Voting is the bedrock of this nation and the pool of voters should not be watered down with the dead, illegal imigrants and fraudulant votes.
As has been shown OVER and OVER. The pushes for voter id have NOTHING to do with illegal votes, and everything to do with suppressing the vote of a groups opponents. Its been a much smaller issue of late as its been found to have unexpected impacts on voting bases.

Old 03-06-2014, 05:16 PM

3,382 posts, read 4,079,121 times
Quote:
As has been shown OVER and OVER. The pushes for voter id have NOTHING to do with illegal votes, and everything to do with suppressing the vote of a groups opponents. Its been a much smaller issue of late as its been found to have unexpected impacts on voting bases.
It has not been shown or proven, it has just been spouted by Dems, because they want to think because the color of my skin, I am not smart enough or I am too poor to get an ID. And people wonder why I think Democrats and most liberals are so racist?

Old 03-06-2014, 05:20 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,816,866 times
What's worse

Thinking someone should get an ID?

Or

Thinking someone is so dumb and incompetent that they cannot get an ID?

This topic is further proof the all the democrats want is a dependent class that needs government to functions.

Dependency is another form of slavery

Old 03-06-2014, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
It has not been shown or proven, it has just been spouted by Dems, because they want to think because the color of my skin, I am not smart enough or I am too poor to get an ID. And people wonder why I think Democrats and most liberals are so racist?
Please. Its not been spouted because of race or anything like that, its spouted because of facts. Because of studies. And because often the republicans involved have said so.

FYI folks...I do need to back track on something I said earlier.

There is no implicit right to vote. I was wrong to say that.
U.S. Constitution is not explicit on the right to vote, Wisconsin Rep. Mark Pocan says | PolitiFact Wisconsin

Just because I think there should be, doesnt mean there is.

Old 03-06-2014, 05:32 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,793,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
More here

This is why we need ID's to vote with verification they are citizens.
This is the Florida case. All had photo ID. So they would have voted even if photo ID was required.

I still know of no case where an illegal voter took advantage of no photo ID. Not one so far.

Old 03-06-2014, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Please. Its not been spouted because of race or anything like that, its spouted because of facts. Because of studies. And because often the republicans involved have said so.

FYI folks...I do need to back track on something I said earlier.

There is no implicit right to vote. I was wrong to say that.
U.S. Constitution is not explicit on the right to vote, Wisconsin Rep. Mark Pocan says | PolitiFact Wisconsin

Just because I think there should be, doesnt mean there is.
There is a right to vote as tackled in the 15th and 24th Amendments, which directly address disenfranchisement that was targeted towards blacks.

15th Amendment:

Quote:
The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any state on account of race, color, or previous condition of servitude.
24th Amendment:

Quote:
The right of citizens of the United States to vote in any primary or other election for President or Vice President, for electors for President or Vice President, or for Senator or Representative in Congress, shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or any state by reason of failure to pay any poll tax or other tax.
Any non-free ID requirement is a direct violation of the 24th Amendment.

The 24th Amendment was enacted specifically to combat Jim Crow-type poll taxes and literacy tests in the Southern United States.

Are we going back in time, Republicans?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies