Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 11:42 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 22 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,539,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
You're right--should have written 1988. Do you ascribe to the Sirota definitions, or some other distinction between 'liberal' and 'progressive?'
yes and no, his definition is very simplistic and not characteristic of myself.

Using the energy example, I would put more money into researching cheaper energy, then have a grant system like with tornado shelters to have people upgrade their homes.

same R&D argument for drugs, why is it that we believe government can build bombs, but not find cheaper medicine ?

Old 03-07-2014, 11:48 AM

6,084 posts, read 6,043,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Sanders will be marginalized by liberals like Dennis Kucinich was. Warren will be tolerated simply because she's a female. Her populist perspective is diametrically opposed to Big Business Democrats (majority of the party). They'll go easy on her in the primaries so as not to look sexist, and then undercut her at every opportunity through fundraising.

Hillary Clinton is no liberal. She's a Big Business Defense Hawk Democrat. The glass ceiling is her only motive. She could care less about the formal planks of liberal ideology. She's an opportunist extraordinaire. And she will be slobbered over by liberals no matter what.
I'm afraid you are correct, it ironic that it is now Fox News and Dr. Paul that are willing to give Denny the time of day whereas the American left pretty much washed their hands of him.

I still feel Warren should keep pushing Glass Steagal 2.0 legislation, because they are more and more people identifying as Moderates & Independents and this hopefully will translate into 3rd parties that can challenge the big 2, at the least on the state and municipal level if not on the federal.

Old 03-07-2014, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
I'm afraid you are correct, it ironic that it is now Fox News and Dr. Paul that are willing to give Denny the time of day whereas the American left pretty much washed their hands of him.

I still feel Warren should keep pushing Glass Steagal 2.0 legislation, because they are more and more people identifying as Moderates & Independents and this hopefully will translate into 3rd parties that can challenge the big 2, at the least on the state and municipal level if not on the federal.

He got the time of day with the Left, he just wasnt popular. Warren and Sanders are far bigger names with more reach

Old 03-07-2014, 12:08 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
He got the time of day with the Left, he just wasnt popular. Warren and Sanders are far bigger names with more reach
His position were largely principled. Unfortunately in politics that marginalizes you.

Old 03-07-2014, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
His position were largely principled. Unfortunately in politics that marginalizes you.
not really sure what you mean there.

Old 03-07-2014, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
not really sure what you mean there.
His positions didn't change with the party in office.

Old 03-07-2014, 12:19 PM

Quote:
It was when he took a stand against ObamaCare that he caught a lot of flack from groups like MoveOn and other d-party front organizations.

That was I noticed that the front groups and the Progressive Caucus were either shysters or emasculated and impotent.

Old 03-07-2014, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
It was when he took a stand against ObamaCare that he caught a lot of flack from groups like MoveOn and other d-party front organizations.
He was right. Why did he speak out against it? He didn't like that it was a huge payout to the insurance industry. The kind of things he had always spoke out against. He took the principled position that it was the wrong way to go about health care. He said what many others have said since and said to themselves in private.

I agreed with him then and now. He did end up voting for it. He did explain that he hated to vote for it but I did lose a little respect for him in doing that.

Old 03-07-2014, 12:29 PM

Quote:
His positions didn't change with the party in office.
Most people's positions dont change with the party in office.

Old 03-07-2014, 12:29 PM

Quote:
He was right. Why did he speak out against it? He didn't like that it was a huge payout to the insurance industry. The kind of things he had always spoke out against. He took the principled position that it was the wrong way to go about health care. He said what many others have said since and said to themselves in private.

I agreed with him then and now. He did end up voting for it. He did explain that he hated to vote for it but I did lose a little respect for him in doing that.
Denny took A LOT OF HEAT FROM THE LEFT over this.

He got some public support from Ralph Nader and Amy Goodman from Democracy Now, but the d-party leadership and front organizations went for the jugular.

Ya win some and ya lose some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies