Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2014, 10:10 AM

46,946 posts, read 25,979,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
What was the reasoning, for the government to get involved in the promotion of marriage business, in the first place?

They were not involved in it, until the income based tax and the IRS was created.
You're funny. Government-appointed courts have been making decisions based on married status or lack thereof since the days of Hammurabi.

11,181 posts, read 10,530,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Coast Republican View Post
I already explained this multiple times. It's not the definition of Marriage. No other society on earth has ever had such a concept of Gay Marriage, it just doesn't make sense..

Wikipedia:

Quote:
As of 19 August 2013, fifteen countries (Argentina, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Denmark,[nb 1] France, Iceland, Netherlands,[nb 2] New Zealand,[nb 3] Norway, Portugal, Spain, South Africa, Sweden, Uruguay) and several sub-national jurisdictions (parts of Mexico and the United States) allow same-sex couples to marry. A law has been passed by the Westminster Parliament in the United Kingdom, effective in England and Wales, which will be fully in force on 29 March 2014.[9][10] The Scottish parliament has passed a bill that allows same-sex marriages to take place from October 2014.[11]

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times
Quote:
I already explained this multiple times. It's not the definition of Marriage. No other society on earth has ever had such a concept of Gay Marriage, it just doesn't make sense. Using the Government to violate the will of people over a small lifestyle group is wrong, and it's not something that should ''normalized '' by society. It's not a healthy lifestyle.

Like I said earlier, get the Government out of Marriage and this wouldn't be an issue anymore. Just drop the term completely from the Law and all the debate would end.
What will of the people is being violated? Oh and the majority of Americans are fine with same sex marriage. So it looks like you are in the minority on this topic.

You can already get married without the government involved, so what is your problem with same sex marriage? Also the government was only involved with the issuing of my marriage license, the government isn't involved in my marriage.

Old 03-07-2014, 10:12 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,203,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CousinMaynard View Post
modern government borrowed the ancient institution of marriage to encourage the family unit, consisting of father, mother and children within their borders.

marriage did come looking for the government, the government came looking for marriage. If the government has some kind of change of heart in regards to how it views the institution of marriage, that government is certainly not obliged to acknowledge said marriage. it is however not allowed to change marriage because it is not their to change
The church wasn't even involved in marriage until long after the government was involved. Please educate yourself.

And the government can change any legal structure that they choose.

Old 03-07-2014, 10:14 AM

1,138 posts, read 1,041,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
It doesn't matter whether it makes sense to you. Times change; evolve or die.

Also, plenty of ancient societies had gay marriage. Get educated on the topic before conjecturing.
Times do change, but not always for the better. And no society had gay marriages, even in cultures where almost everyone had sex with the same sex (Rome) they still did not have gay marriage. You may be able to find a couple incidences, but it was not the norm.

Furthermore even if ancient people did something that doesn't make it okay. Ancient societies often had slaves, doesn't make it right.

And really, if you are perfectly fine with homosexuality like you claim , then you have to be fine with polygamy and incest too. It's unfair to those groups who are being oppressed, since '' love is love '', and both of those things happened in history, and even animals do it, that makes it '' natural ''.It doesn't affect you personally either. You are being bigoted and phobic by not supporting those lifestyles.

As you can see, the same logic works and it's only a matter of time.

Old 03-07-2014, 10:18 AM

493 posts, read 783,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
The church wasn't even involved in marriage until long after the government was involved. Please educate yourself.

And the government can change any legal structure that they choose.

its a good thing i didnt mention The Church then.

Irony: suggesting "educate yourself" to someone else, while you yourself lack basic Reading Comprehension skills.

Old 03-07-2014, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Those are recent. Not ancient societies, and not everyone in those countries support it.

Old 03-07-2014, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CousinMaynard View Post
its a good thing i didnt mention The Church then.

Irony: suggesting "educate yourself" to someone else, while you yourself lack basic Reading Comprehension skills.
Pardon me, "RELIGION" There were LAWS about marriage long before "religion" got involved.

Old 03-07-2014, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
What will of the people is being violated? Oh and the majority of Americans are fine with same sex marriage. So it looks like you are in the minority on this topic.

You can already get married without the government involved, so what is your problem with same sex marriage? Also the government was only involved with the issuing of my marriage license, the government isn't involved in my marriage.
The will of the people IS being violated by activist judges. If the people wanted gay marriage then they would vote for it, but most don't. If most people did then there would be no need for the activist judges.

Also do you have proof of your statement? I don't care if I am in the minority. This is how I feel and I have a right to it. Just because the majority of people do or support something doesn't make it right. Glad I'm a free thinking Lion and not one of the many masses of no thinking required sheep. Just go with the herd.... Go with the herd....

Like I said, drop Marriage from the Government and everything would be solved.

Old 03-07-2014, 10:26 AM

Quote:
The will of the people IS being violated by activist judges. If the people wanted gay marriage then they would vote for it, but most don't. If most people did then there would be no need for the activist judges.

Also do you have proof of your statement? I don't care if I am in the minority. This is how I feel and I have a right to it. Just because the majority of people do or support something doesn't make it right. Glad I'm a free thinking Lion and not one of the many masses of no thinking required sheep. Just go with the herd.... Go with the herd....

Like I said, drop Marriage from the Government and everything would be solved.
The will of the people does not trump the constitution. Sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies