Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2014, 11:32 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,470,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassy001 View Post
Two men cannot make a baby. Two Women cannot make a baby.
Two old foggies cannot make a baby, two sterile heterosexuals cannot make a baby. So what. Marriage is not confined to only sterile, young heterosexuals. If so, then all would have to prove their fertility and show means of supporting a child and if they did not have one, their civil marriage contract would be nulled. But that is all baloney, for marriage is not required for reproduction and reproduction is not required of marriage. YOU LOSE.

Old 03-07-2014, 11:39 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,470,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Sounds like it could all be done with contract law.

Power of attorney and a last will and testament, go a long way in any relationship.

How come government gives married people special privileges, in the first place.
How did that all start??
So you straights get all 1049 FEDERAL rights, benefits and protections and gays get watered down minimum protections and we pay through the roof to get them, you get them all with a civil marriage license? Why is that fair to you? That is not equal. YOU started this thread with the purpose to abuse gays verbally, you had no other reason than for that. Why should gays get denied full marriage rights, yet prior divorced couples can get all 1049 federal rights with each and every civil marriage they enter into, even in to old age with any need ever to procreat to access those 1049 federal rights. [MOD CUT/off topic]

Old 03-07-2014, 11:42 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,165,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
I'm sure you still have not googled it, or you would know it was after the IRS came to life and the taxing of the people. They knew right away they could gain vote by the power of the tax, or not to tax.
Not in all states. Massachusetts first started requiring marriage licenses in 1639.

Old 03-07-2014, 11:45 AM

17,290 posts, read 29,349,509 times
Quote:
Not the same thing.....

How is it NOT the same thing?

In both situations, you have a group of people that have "strong personal and religious convictions about something" that OTHER people in society do not have a problem with.

Somehow though, MAGICALLY, jews and muslims figured out how to live in a world where their religious persuasion is not affected by how others live their lives. They avoid bacon, and everyone else gets to enjoy bacon. Easy-peasy.

If you don't agree with or don't want a gay marriage, you DON'T GET ONE. See how easy that is? Why is this hard for you?

And while we're on it, how can you even SUPPORT freedom of religion? Being Muslim is against your religion, yet you support laws that make being Muslim OK in America?! The Muslim lifestyle is OK to you?

Lady, either it's OK for you to be for legalization of things are against your religion, or it's not!

Old 03-07-2014, 11:56 AM

872 posts, read 825,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
How is it NOT the same thing?

In both situations, you have a group of people that have "strong personal and religious convictions about something" that OTHER people in society do not have a problem with.

Somehow though, MAGICALLY, jews and muslims figured out how to live in a world where their religious persuasion is not affected by how others live their lives. They avoid bacon, and everyone else gets to enjoy bacon. Easy-peasy.

If you don't agree with or don't want a gay marriage, you DON'T GET ONE. See how easy that is? Why is this hard for you?

And while we're on it, how can you even SUPPORT freedom of religion? Being Muslim is against your religion, yet you support laws that make being Muslim OK in America?! The Muslim lifestyle is OK to you?

Lady, either it's OK for you to be for legalization of things are against your religion, or it's not!
What are you talking about? I never once said anything about this.

Old 03-07-2014, 12:00 PM

Quote:
What are you talking about? I never once said anything about this.

Maybe you should THINK about it.

If you can manage to support some things that are "against your religion" (like, um, other religious beliefs).... you will figure out how to not oppose things that are also technically against your religion... like gay marriage.

Old 03-07-2014, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Maybe you should THINK about it.

If you can manage to support some things that are "against your religion" (like, um, other religious beliefs).... you will figure out how to not oppose things that are also technically against your religion... like gay marriage.

Again, what things are you saying I support???

Old 03-07-2014, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Again, what things are you saying I support???

Do you support eating pork? If so, you should note that many people in this country have strong religious convictions against same. Would YOU allow them to dictate YOUR eating habits based on THEIR religious BELIEF?

Next, do you support freedom of religion? If so, how can you? Freedom of religion is against the Bible and Christian belief. Period. It is the cardinal commandment that man shall have no God before the Christian/Jewish God....to reject Jesus is the only unforgivable sin.... yet in America, the government SUPPORTS freedom of religion...encourages it, even. How can you support that?

How are you able to live and support freedom of religion (even though it's against your religion)..... but turn around and say that you cannot support (or at least, not work against) gay rights/marriage?

Is this too esoteric a question? I have yet to meet a so-called religious person that can answer the question.

Old 03-07-2014, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Do you support eating pork? If so, you should note that many people in this country have strong religious convictions against same. Would YOU allow them to dictate YOUR eating habits based on THEIR religious BELIEF?

Next, do you support freedom of religion? If so, how can you? Freedom of religion is against the Bible and Christian belief. Period. It is the cardinal commandment that man shall have no God before the Christian/Jewish God....to reject Jesus is the only unforgivable sin.... yet in America, the government SUPPORTS freedom of religion...encourages it, even. How can you support that?

How are you able to live and support freedom of religion (even though it's against your religion)..... but turn around and say that you cannot support (or at least, not work against) gay rights/marriage?

Is this too esoteric a question? I have yet to meet a so-called religious person that can answer the question.

I am not going to force anyone to believe in what I believe.

I never said that a same sex couple could not have the same equal rights of a married couple. What I did say is-it should not be labeled marriage. Have the same legal rights and call it an union.

You are confusing this.
I do not agree with same sex relationships.
But, I do not judge anyone that chooses to have that type of relationship.

Can you understand that? I don't agree with it....but, I am not judging you or anyone else that chooses to have that type of relationship.

Old 03-07-2014, 12:41 PM

Quote:
I am not going to force anyone to believe in what I believe.

I never said that a same sex couple could not have the same equal rights of a married couple. What I did say is-it should not be labeled marriage. Have the same legal rights and call it an union.

You are confusing this.
I do not agree with same sex relationships.
But, I do not judge anyone that chooses to have that type of relationship.

Can you understand that? I don't agree with it....but, I am not judging you or anyone else that chooses to have that type of relationship.

If you're "not judging," then you should allow gay folks to have equal access to civil marriage.

Because if you don't believe they should, then yes, you ARE "judging!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.