Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2014, 12:26 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,205,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDave View Post
What's the reason? Mans desire to sin
Maybe we should ban the marriages of everyone that has ever "sinned". That will solve the problem.

Old 03-10-2014, 12:27 PM

872 posts, read 827,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
It's not something new. You stated that marriage is a life long commitment. You also stated "Divorce should not be an option that is easily obtained" when asked if divorce should be made illegal.

Those two don't jive. Perhaps you mean to say " marriage is an attempt at a life long commitment."?

I said what I meant. Marriage is a life long commitment.

Old 03-10-2014, 12:27 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,225,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDave View Post
What's the reason? Mans desire to sin
That's just Crazy Dave! And don't worry about me. My church doesn't consider me being gay, or my marriage to another man, to be sinful. So maybe you shoud re-phrase that to say that you, personally, consider being gay a sin.

Old 03-10-2014, 12:29 PM

493 posts, read 783,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceist View Post
In 2008, 7,001,084 voted for Prop 8. 6,401,482 voted against it. A difference of only about 600,000 people. Hardly 'we here in California' or the 'will of the people'.

You are still reviling and slandering gay and lesbian people as well as telling porkie pies. Better not get your hopes up about getting past those pearly gates old son.
quoting the bible is not slander. if anyone is being slandered it would be myself, afaik no one here knows how i treat others in RL. But, since others insist on casting moral judgement just because i quote from the bible, may i point out that one can address the sin without advocating hating the sinner

i also notice this poster also made personal attacks on at least one other poster. i see how this is an emotional subject for some, but it shouldnt be too much to ask to stick to the topic at hand.

Old 03-10-2014, 12:33 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,323,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CousinMaynard View Post
quoting the bible is not slander. if anyone is being slandered it would be myself, afaik no one here knows how i treat others in RL. But, since others insist on casting moral judgement just because i quote from the bible, may i point out that one can address the sin without advocating hating the sinner

i also notice this poster also made personal attacks on at least one other poster. i see how this is an emotional subject for some, but it shouldnt be too much to ask to stick to the topic at hand.
So, I guess I can quote from Harry Potter and post it as fact?

Old 03-10-2014, 12:34 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassy001 View Post

I said what I meant. Marriage is a life long commitment.
Unless you get divorced. So how does THAT relate to equal marriage for gays? Why would not want people to have the same right to legally commit for life ( with the option of divorce ) just like you have?

Old 03-10-2014, 12:36 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,399,972 times
Quote:
Who cares

Lady, if all you did was "disagree with it" and didn't take the extra step to WORK AGAINST PEOPLE AND THEIR RIGHTS, then nobody would give two hoots about your religious beliefs.

But "Christians" often aren't content to lead by example, or order their own lives. They have a need to legislate and meddle and pry into other's lives based on their religious belief. To make even those who don't share their religion... live by the rules of their religion.

Take a page from the Amish: they disagree with our modern way of life, and are religiously opposed to electricity and cars... yet you don't see them voting to make car driving illegal. Can you do the same? Or you just can't help yourself?

Last edited by TriMT7; 03-10-2014 at 12:47 PM..

Old 03-10-2014, 12:43 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,225,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberal01 View Post
Nobody thinks gays are going to disappear, and only the right most would like to see sodomy re-criminalized, however asking the society to treat homosexual unions just the same as married couples is a little to much. Enjoy your freedom, ability to live and love the person of your choice but don't ask the society to accept same-sex couples as equal to a thousands years old tradition of marriage between a man and a women for the benefit of children.
So you're pretending as if same sex marriage doesn't exist today? Or do you just ignore it?

In the society surrounding me, everyone sure seems to accept my marriage. And it definitely benefits my children. It helped us with our taxes this year, and now we can officially say that we're related. We know that when one of us dies someday, the survivor will be financially set. We've already proved that we have what it takes to be married since we've been in a monogamous relationship for 17 years prior to our marriage last year. Those who are so against SS marriage are on the losing side of history, but so be it. I don't care what people think because I have finally gained my right to marriage.

And has been pointed out, what marriage "is" has changed in the past 1000 years anyway.

Old 03-10-2014, 12:43 PM

872 posts, read 827,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Lady, if all you did was "disagree with it" and didn't take the extra step to WORK AGAINST PEOPLE AND THEIR RIGHTS, then nobody would give two hoots about your religious beliefs.

But "Christians" often aren't content to lead by example, or order their own lives. They have a need to legislate and meddle and pry into other's lives based on their religious belief. To make even those who don't share

Take a page from the Amish: they disagree with our modern way of life, and are religiously opposed to electricity and cars... yet you don't see them voting to make car driving illegal. Can you do the same? Or you just can't help yourself?

I don't have to vote to make same sex marriage illegal. It is illegal where I live.

I am not taking any rights away from anyone, it is NOT LEGAL, therefore there are NO rights.

At this point, at least where I am, this is a non-issue since it is NOT LEGAL.

Old 03-10-2014, 12:48 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,167,245 times
Quote:
I don't have to vote to make same sex marriage illegal. It is illegal where I live.

I am not taking any rights away from anyone, it is NOT LEGAL, therefore there are NO rights.

At this point, at least where I am, this is a non-issue since it is NOT LEGAL.
Yet YOU have the right to marry. How is that not special rights for YOU? All these heteros against gay marriage keep crying "The gays want special rights!!!" B to the S. You got your special rights right in front of you, blatantly obvious. You don't see gays or people who support gay marriage trying to strip you of your marriage privileges, do you? So why are you supporting that very same thing happening to gays?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies