Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 11:39 AM

78,866 posts, read 46,581,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Throw granny under the bus. Much of the 47% are old people on Medicare and Social Security who paid in most of their lives. Also don't forget to throw in those free loading kids who go to school and play with toys instead of getting an honest job pulling carts in the mine.

Who is throwing granny under the bus. Some reason you took it as getting rid of the IRS meant no taxes at all.
You know SS is taxed, right? Because it is income.

Income based taxing, of any percent is counter productive.
Eliminate income based and go to a use tax. Get taxed when you spend the money you earned.
The rich will buy big ticket items and pay a lot of tax the middle class will by value priced stuff and pay a moderate tax, while the poor will buy the cheap crap and pay very little tax.

Everyone has skin in the game. Not just 53%
With 47% demanding they get to hog it all.

I careless if I don't have skin in the game, if they are serving free hotdogs outside, to get you to enter the game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
And you pay 28% of your dollars while a multi-millionaire pays 11% of their dollars. Is that 'equal' to you?
Not me. I pay 30%, and I'm no millionaire by a long shot. I can't even imagine what it would be like to possess a million dollars.
Fairness decrees a millionaire should pay the same percentage you or I do, doesn't it?

I have no problems with taxing the poor. Let them pay 28% too. For the poorest, 28% of nothing is still nothing. If all millionaires had to pay 28%, our deficit would disappear very fast.

Dang who knew, a Progressive and a Conservative can see the same argument eye to eye and equally.

Now this is progress this nation needs. Things we can both agree on.

Old 03-07-2014, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Only if you are paying little Susie over $9500 a year, she doesn't need to file taxes. Also it depends on the state, she could be considered an independent contractor and it would be her responsible to file taxes.

Also dance lessons on both Friday and Saturday? That sounds excessive.

Uhhhh? Where did you hear this BS.
The governments boot comes down on the throat at $600 paid to anyone as contract/subcontract labor.
We don't have state income based taxing.

Old 03-07-2014, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikBEggs View Post
Once again, griping about the lies perpetuated by the wealthy. Where did you get this ludicrous idea that poor people don't pay taxes?

States counties/parish, community and city, is taxed with sales tax. A use tax. Then you have those unfortunate enough that the state has an income based progressive tax.

So we are discussing income based taxing and how it is not equally based to everyone.
In otherwords, not treating us all equally.

Justice is blind, but laws are not???

Old 03-07-2014, 12:40 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,149,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Uhhhh? Where did you hear this BS.
The governments boot comes down on the throat at $600 paid to anyone as contract/subcontract labor.
We don't have state income based taxing.
Every state is different Bent when it comes to taxes, I never implied they were all equal. Though I prefer a state income tax and no sales tax.

Old 03-07-2014, 12:44 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,150,743 times
Quote:
Obviously this means tax season is coming and someone doesn't want to do his taxes. Personally I get that out of the way as soon as I can so I can get back any money owed to me and plan our next vacation. This year was a double trip, we went to Philly a couple weeks ago and then going to where I grew up in a couple more weeks. I love tax season.
So you like the interest free loan you have been giving the feds? You are clearly over-withholding since you have a sizable refund.

Old 03-07-2014, 01:07 PM

19,001 posts, read 14,180,717 times
There is no such thing as an "income tax" on income. There is a constitutional excise tax on privileges.
“The income tax is, therefore, not a tax on income as such. It is an excise tax with respect to certain activities and privileges which is measured by reference to the income which they produce. The income is not the subject of the tax: it is the basis for determining the amount of the tax.”
- - - F. Morse Hubbard, Treasury Department legislative draftsman. House Congressional Record March 27th 1943, page 2580.

" An income tax is neither a property tax nor a tax on occupations of common right, but is an excise tax The legislature may declare as *privileged* and tax as such for state revenue, those pursuits not matters of common right, but it has no power to declare as *privilege* and tax for revenue purposes, occupations that are of common right."
- - - Simms v Ahrens, 271 SW 720 (1925)
Remember, the income tax amendment didn't grant NEW taxing powers - just removed the apportionment requirement for those income taxes deemed a direct tax.
The cause?
Income taxes on rents, dividends, and interest were ruled to be direct taxes in the court case of Pollock v. Farmers' Loan & Trust Co. (1895).

The question you should ask: "What revenue taxable privilege am I exercising that imposes an excise tax whose amount is determined by the income derived?"

Now, ask yourself, WHAT CHANGED YOUR COMMON RIGHT to labor and gain remuneration into a revenue taxable PRIVILEGE?
[hint: your consent]
[hint: your consent, via FICA]
[hint: your consent, via FICA, bank account, citizenship / residency]
[hint: your consent, via FICA, bank account, citizenship / residency, lack of lawful money]

Since 1933, few, if any, Americans were duly PAID with lawful money (gold or silver dollars). Since no lawful money changed hands, it was not a right, but a privilege involved... or was there?
You'll have to ask "your" representatives to explain themselves.

Old 03-07-2014, 01:34 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,149,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
So you like the interest free loan you have been giving the feds? You are clearly over-withholding since you have a sizable refund.
It doesn't bother me, I use the money for trips, and the amount of interest I would earn on that money during that same amount of time isn't noticeable. Also what is your definition of sizeable?

Old 03-07-2014, 01:43 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,208,662 times
Quote:
So basically he wants seniors, students, and military to start paying taxes.
Based on income they already do. I would be for a flat tax or a national sales tax. This way everyone is paying into the system instead of only half of us.
I would also like to see workfare instead of welfare.
Cut our military by 25%.
Cut foreign aide to all recipients by 75%.
Elected reps pay for their own healthcare insurance.
Cut pensions by 50% for elected reps.
Tax churches that try to influence politics.
all pipe dreams but it would be nice.

Old 03-07-2014, 02:10 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,433,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
You bring up good points. You'd think libs would want EVERYONE treated equally, but I guess that only works when it suits their agenda.

I would support that only if everyone had equal property rights, but we don't and probably never will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies