Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should a prostitute be allowed to discriminate against a member of the same sex?
yes 61 87.14%
no 9 12.86%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 06:36 PM

259 posts, read 151,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I was talking to a friend who is a black guy who grew up in the 60's & 70's, as I did. His father had a good job, and they wanted to get him out of his urban school district, and to the burbs where the schools were better, but no one would sell a house to a black man. They finally did get one due to the efforts of a sympathetic real estate guy.
These sympathetic real estate guy performed a classic " block busting": he sold a house on a white block to a black family, all whites then would run to sell their houses, too, scared that their property values were taking a dive (they were right) and in the end the real estate guy made a fortune on commissions and moved his attention to another block. I bet that real estate guy is a millionaire now. Sorry for the sidebar.

Last edited by Liberal01; 03-08-2014 at 07:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2014, 06:48 PM

3,550 posts, read 2,556,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantown View Post
Forcing someone to have sex now if it is a job or not is still rape.
and not forcing them is the same type of "discrimination" as not forcing me to violate my religion and sell a wedding cake for a same sex "wedding"

Old 03-08-2014, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
We could use a pragmatic approach like we do for anti-discrimination laws related to hiring and employment. It's against the law to discriminate based on protected classes in hiring/employment, except we do carve out pragmatic exceptions. You can discriminate based on sex if hiring for a restroom attendant, lingerie model, etc.

We could also use a Constitutional test (in fact, I'd argue we're required to). If requiring a service would result in violating a Constitutional right, then the anti-discrimination law can't be applied in that circumstance.
you mean that my 1st amendment right to freedom of religion (not be forced to sell a wedding cake for what I religiously believe is worse then murder) should be a pragmatic exception

Old 03-08-2014, 06:54 PM

Quote:
We could also use a Constitutional test (in fact, I'd argue we're required to). If requiring a service would result in violating a Constitutional right, then the anti-discrimination law can't be applied in that circumstance.
like freedom of religion?

Old 03-08-2014, 07:37 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jew View Post
no where in the constitution does it mention "The service a prostitute provides"
Yeah. What's your point?

Quote:
the few places which may include "The service a prostitute provides" would also include a bakery
How so? I very much disagree.

Old 03-08-2014, 07:38 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times
Quote:
like freedom of religion?
Yes, like the 1st Amendment.

Baking and selling a cake is in no way whatsoever religious, however, so applying this anti-discrimination law to bakeries does not implicate the 1st Amendment.

Old 03-08-2014, 07:46 PM

642 posts, read 1,113,764 times
Quote:
you mean that my 1st amendment right to freedom of religion (not be forced to sell a wedding cake for what I religiously believe is worse then murder) should be a pragmatic exception
Your religion teaches you that gay weddings are worse than murder?

Old 03-08-2014, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Yeah. What's your point?

How so? I very much disagree.
I want you (don't quote judges who flunked basic reading comprehension) to show me the words in the constitution that forbids the government from banning "discrimination" by a prostitute, and then give me a logical explanation of those words that would not also forbid the government from banning "discrimination" by a baker.

for example here's why the government force a bakery owned by a religious person to sell a wedding cake for a same sex "wedding
text of Constitution
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof
interpretation
Since many religions forbid selling a wedding cake for a same sex "wedding", the government can't force a baker to violate his religion, and by allowing a law that if effect says no person from those religions can sell wedding cakes, such a law would interfere with millions of people's free exercise of their religion

follow the same type of format to disallow "discrimination" by prostitutes, yet would not also apply to a baker.

If you invent any "implied" rights make sure you explain them in full detail, and also please explain to me why those implied right are more important then the one stated explicitly that I quoted from, which is the only reason that this country ever was blessed. (If not for the real rights you hate so much My ancestors never would have left Europe)

Old 03-08-2014, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Yes, like the 1st Amendment.

Baking and selling a cake is in no way whatsoever religious, however, so applying this anti-discrimination law to bakeries does not implicate the 1st Amendment.
my religion know as Judaism that is over 3,000 years old forbids selling a wedding cake for a same sex "marriage"

YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO TELL ME WHAT MY RELIGION DICTATES

Old 03-08-2014, 08:42 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
You know my religion if you wish to call it that, says I cannot associate outside my tribe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies