Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should a prostitute be allowed to discriminate against a member of the same sex?
yes 61 87.14%
no 9 12.86%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 12:03 PM

1,970 posts, read 1,760,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Take them to court like they did with the bakeries, photographers and catering hall owners.
It's a "business" now and they can't discriminate.
You think so? LOLOLOLOL Anyone can discriminate anytime against anyone anytime they like and never have any problems if they have a half brain in their head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2014, 12:07 PM

259 posts, read 151,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post

Ruling states can't criminalize consensual sodomy.
Ok. What does it have to do with prostitution?

Quote:
I would agree with you. However, baking and selling a cake is not religious. Period.
And nobody argues gays should be prohibited from buying cakes. Just don't force a Catholic baker to bake a custom cake for a gay wedding, bigamist wedding or KKK wedding.

Quote:
I don't understand the point you're trying to make here. You're comparing apples to Cadillacs.
I can see you don't, and suspect it's deliberate.

Last edited by Liberal01; 03-08-2014 at 12:42 PM..

Old 03-08-2014, 12:38 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,095,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberal01 View Post
Ok. What does it have to do with prostitution?
A lot. The court described how our Constitutional right to privacy prevents the government from enforcing laws in a manner that interferes in our sex lives. As such, a prostitute's right to not have sex with somebody is Constitutionally protected. The Government can't enforce a law in a way that requires somebody to submit to sexual intercourse in violation of that Constitutional right.

Quote:
And nobody argues gays should be prohibited from buying cakes. Just don't force a baker to bake a custom cake for a gay wedding, or Nazi wedding or KKK wedding.
You're turning the laws around backwards. Anti-discrimination laws prevent discrimination on the account of a customer's characteristic. The rationale for the discrimination (including a baker not liking what the product will be used for) is irrelevant. If we looked at it your way, such laws would be completely meaningless. Any discrimination could be described in terms of being done out of personal or religious beliefs, even if the effect was that no gay person (or black person, or Jewish person, etc) could buy the product. The law looks at precisely that and only that - whether customers are denied service on account of a protected characteristic.

And one's race-hatred is not a protected class. A baker most certainly could deny service to a Nazi or KKK member on the account such an association.

Quote:
I can see you don't, and suspect it's deliberate.
Do me the favor and explain it to me please. You stared talking about private organizations and Medicaid (specifically Medicaid benefits being paid for something factually impossible) - two things completely unrelated to the discussion.

Old 03-08-2014, 12:43 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
A lot. The court described how our Constitutional right to privacy prevents the government from enforcing laws in a manner that interferes in our sex lives. As such, a prostitute's right to not have sex with somebody is Constitutionally protected. The Government can't enforce a law in a way that requires somebody to submit to sexual intercourse in violation of that Constitutional right.

You're turning the laws around backwards. Anti-discrimination laws prevent discrimination on the account of a customer's characteristic. The rationale for the discrimination (including a baker not liking what the product will be used for) is irrelevant. If we looked at it your way, such laws would be completely meaningless. Any discrimination could be described in terms of being done out of personal or religious beliefs, even if the effect was that no gay person (or black person, or Jewish person, etc) could buy the product. The law looks at precisely that and only that - whether customers are denied service on account of a protected characteristic.

And one's race-hatred is not a protected class. A baker most certainly could deny service to a Nazi or KKK member on the account such an association.

Do me the favor and explain it to me please. You stared talking about private organizations and Medicaid (specifically Medicaid benefits being paid for something factually impossible) - two things completely unrelated to the discussion.
Answer this simple question:

Should a business that provides a paid service be able to turn down gays or transgenders ?

Old 03-08-2014, 12:48 PM

259 posts, read 151,344 times
Quote:
Nope. Sex trade is a commercial activity and not any right protected by constitution.

Quote:

Neither are gays....

Quote:
It's related. Gays want to marry, which to many people is absurd as two people of the same sex are absolutely incompatible to be married as they can't have natural offspring. Now, how about me asking Medicare to cover a hormone therapy so I could bear children... Why not?

Old 03-08-2014, 12:50 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,791,449 times
Quote:
A baker sells cakes. Making those cakes requires blending various plant byproducts together, applying heat, etc. None of those acts butts up against a Constitutional protection.
For the sake of debate--I am not entirely sure that your point here is a good one. After all, don't we have a right to own property? Also, aren't the ingredients with which someone bakes a cake someone's property?

Old 03-08-2014, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
For the sake of debate--I am not entirely sure that your point here is a good one. After all, don't we have a right to own property? Also, aren't the ingredients with which someone bakes a cake someone's property?
The left are now focused on the cake itself and not the service the baker was mandated to perform.

Because if they address the "service" then they would need to admit that prostitutes should be forced not to discriminate.

This is the simple question they will not answer now:

Should a business that provides a paid service be able to turn down gays or transgenders ?

Old 03-08-2014, 01:15 PM

2,523 posts, read 2,202,234 times
You guys realize you are talking about rape right?

Old 03-08-2014, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantown View Post
You guys realize you are talking about rape right?
Nope..legal prostitution..paid for sex.

You opened Pandora's Box. You argued that a business cannot discriminate against LGBT.
Now what do you do ?

Start an "exception list" ?

Old 03-08-2014, 01:35 PM

2,887 posts, read 2,633,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well if a judge ruled that bakery owners, wedding photographers, catering halls must not discriminate then I don't see why a judge wouldn't do the same regarding legal prostitution.

It's all or none here..can't cherry pick who can discriminate and who can't.

We opened Pandora's Box and now we must deal with all the outcomes of it.
The dilemma of unintended catastrophic consequences for which those responsible want all the credit and none of the blame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies