Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you for gay marriage/same sex relationships?
Yes 108 62.07%
No 26 14.94%
Yes only for relationship, not marriage/adoption/etc 16 9.20%
Don't care/Other 24 13.79%
Voters: 174. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 10:00 AM

14,478 posts, read 11,272,235 times

Advertisements

My only issue is adoption. Gay couples should never be allowed to compete with heteros for children as same sex parentage is a substantially lesser option.

Old 03-11-2014, 10:02 AM

679 posts, read 614,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
My only issue is adoption. Gay couples should never be allowed to compete with heteros for children as same sex parentage is a substantially lesser option.
Lesser option with respect to what? What facts/statistics are there that show same sex parentage as a lesser option?

Old 03-11-2014, 10:02 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,423,097 times
Quote:
Because......?

Old 03-11-2014, 10:06 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,519,507 times
Default What are your thoughts on same-sex relationships?

It's just not one of those issues that trips my trigger, to be honest.

But I see it as a smaller part of an overarching principle.

If America really is the country we've all been led to believe since our childhood; the land of liberty and freedom, then it should be a whole lot more about granting rights to all than restricting them from certain targeted subgroups of our citizenry.

Old 03-11-2014, 10:07 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,193,739 times
Quote:
Considering that there are more children waiting to be adopted than there are people willing to adopt, that is not a problem as there is no competition. It isn't like there are only 100 kids waiting, and a hundred thousand people wanting to adopt.

Old 03-11-2014, 10:08 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,213,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Biological, physical and mental differences that complement each other and create a whole that is greater than the sum of its parts.

Example - women are generally better than men at handling multiple tasks at once, but generally worse than men at singular devotion to a single task for an extended period. A child raised in a household with a man and a woman will generally see both kinds of tasking done well by someone, and will generally see both kinds of tasks done poorly by someone. In general, they see/learn a thing more completely.

You will note that I used the word "generally" several times because this is not universal, and I am not making the accusation that no woman can be singularly devoted to a task, nor are all men incapable of multitasking. I am saying on average, in general, men and women are wired differently that way.

Example 2 - When men respond to a crisis more emotionally than logically, they tend towards emotions linked with aggression and dominance. When women respond to a crisis more emotionally than logically, they tend towards emotions linked with empathy and caring. Each crisis presented will be better solved by one than the other kind of emotional response.

Again, this is not to say that all men are uncaring, or that all women are incapable of kicking ass and taking names. These are generalities, and in general, you get a more complete coverage of the various personality traits, emotions, mindsets, etc of the human condition with a man and a woman than you would with 2 men or 2 women. Just that generally more complete view of the human condition is a better framework for raising children.

I am not being religious on this point at all, but speaking more for general completeness in the transferring of knowledge and teaching by example. No insult to men or women of any sexual preference is intended or implied.
But you fail to recognize that gay men and women are not the same as heterosexual men and women. I am a gay man and live with my partner and two children. It's not the same as if two stereotypical heterosexual men were raising our kids. My partner is a great cook and prepares most of our meals. I'm a good cleaner and keep the house clean and do dishes. My partner teaches our kids sports. I'm more nurturing and have the "soft, motherly touch" with our kids. I do all the yardwork. My partner is on top of their homework and issues at school.

What I'm saying is, we cover both the "motherly" and "fatherly" behavior you find in a typical opposite sex parented household. We just don't conform to the mother/father roles as people would expect for heterosexuals. And to be honest, I know heterosexual couples that don't conform to typical mother/father roles either.

Old 03-11-2014, 10:08 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,193,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
Because......?
Because we all know there is a serious lack of children waiting to be adopted, and if gays adopt there will be none left for the heterosexuals wanting one.

Old 03-11-2014, 10:15 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,423,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Because we all know there is a serious lack of children waiting to be adopted, and if gays adopt there will be none left for the heterosexuals wanting one.
LOL - right

Actually the reply to people who make that point with a straight fact is that in adoption gay couples are known for taking the "problem cases". For example older children are known to be harder to place because adopting couples tend to want as young as possible. Minority race children too have similar issues. And gay couples have been known to be more amenable to considering such portfolios than straight couples.

Mr. Joshua like Harrier is just another user who thinks assertion makes fact - so they simply assert that homosexual couples are less optimal as adoption parents than heterosexual ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Considering that there are more children waiting to be adopted than there are people willing to adopt, that is not a problem as there is no competition. It isn't like there are only 100 kids waiting, and a hundred thousand people wanting to adopt.
Indeed - but even if there was competition - this is not a reason for gay couples to step out of that competition. EVERYONE should compete and we should be placing children with the families that best suit their needs in each individual case. Be that gay couples or straight or whatever.

Competition is a _good_ thing not a bad one. I am not sure why Joshua fears it so. Perhaps like all people who fear competition - he merely fears losing it.

Old 03-11-2014, 10:22 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,238,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMack View Post
Since you stated it I will ask AGAIN ... What are these "special rights" same-sex marriage supporters want?

I will be leaving in a short, I DO have a life outside of CD this is just chill-out time after work ...

I will read your answer later .. I don't expect much, I have been waiting YEARS for others to tell me what they are.
I'll answer. And keep in mind the fact that I believe everyone should have the legal right to marry whomever they wish to marry, and I voted "Yes" on the attached poll.

The "special rights" are the "Protected Class" status that some states have awarded to homosexuals; some people are actively trying to get the class expanded nationwide. What kicked off the recent push toward "Religious Freedom" laws were two cases where homosexuals filed lawsuits seeking "special rights" and won. In my opinion, if you own a contract business, you have the right to take or refuse any job you choose for any reason you choose. Walking into a bakery, pointing to a pre-made cake in a display case, and saying, "I want that one" is one thing. Trying to force a baker to custom-design and create a cake that would serve to professionally endorse an activity the baker considers a sin is completely different. Trying for force them to cater the wedding (requiring active participation) is even worse. Same for a photographer. A wedding photographer is intimately involved with the ceremony, getting up close and personal with every facet of the activities. Forcing someone to intimately participate in an activity they consider to be a sin is unconscionable.

Two different homosexual couples tried to force two businesses to participate in activities the business owners' religion considered to be a sin, and the state to helped them do it. If you don't consider this to be "special rights", then I'd love to hear what is.

A little story about a member of a Protected Class... When moving a while back, my wife interviewed for and was hired at a new full-time job. She quit her old job, moved, and started working the new job. The first day she was informed that the person she was hired to replace had filed a racial discrimination lawsuit, but not to worry. The person was fired because she was constantly late and had a bad attitude with the patients and other employees, not because she was black. But within two weeks my wife's hours were cut to less-than half time because after the NAACP jumped in with their lawyers, the main office caved on the lawsuit and ordered the clinic manager to give the first person her job back. Within a month she was let go. Tragically, the NAACP declined to represent my white wife in her proposed racial discrimination lawsuit.

So there's a little background on my opinion of members of a so-called "Protected Classes". I firmly hold the belief that neither race nor sexual orientation has any bearing whatsoever on a person's moral fiber or work ethic. But being forced to give someone a job or being forced to work for someone else because other people in the person's "class" have been discriminated against in the past is no better than the original discrimination.

Old 03-11-2014, 10:25 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,094,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
I'll answer. And keep in mind the fact that I believe everyone should have the legal right to marry whomever they wish to marry, and I voted "Yes" on the attached poll.

The "special rights" are the "Protected Class" status that some states have awarded to homosexuals; some people are actively trying to get the class expanded nationwide. What kicked off the recent push toward "Religious Freedom" laws were two cases where homosexuals filed lawsuits seeking "special rights" and won. In my opinion, if you own a contract business, you have the right to take or refuse any job you choose for any reason you choose. Walking into a bakery, pointing to a pre-made cake in a display case, and saying, "I want that one" is one thing. Trying to force a baker to custom-design and create a cake that would serve to professionally endorse an activity the baker considers a sin is completely different. Trying for force them to cater the wedding (requiring active participation) is even worse. Same for a photographer. A wedding photographer is intimately involved with the ceremony, getting up close and personal with every facet of the activities. Forcing someone to intimately participate in an activity they consider to be a sin is unconscionable.

Two different homosexual couples tried to force two businesses to participate in activities the business owners' religion considered to be a sin, and the state to helped them do it. If you don't consider this to be "special rights", then I'd love to hear what is.

A little story about a member of a Protected Class... When moving a while back, my wife interviewed for and was hired at a new full-time job. She quit her old job, moved, and started working the new job. The first day she was informed that the person she was hired to replace had filed a racial discrimination lawsuit, but not to worry. The person was fired because she was constantly late and had a bad attitude with the patients and other employees, not because she was black. But within two weeks my wife's hours were cut to less-than half time because after the NAACP jumped in with their lawyers, the main office caved on the lawsuit and ordered the clinic manager to give the first person her job back. Within a month she was let go. Tragically, the NAACP declined to represent my white wife in her proposed racial discrimination lawsuit.

So there's a little background on my opinion of members of a so-called "Protected Classes". I firmly hold the belief that neither race nor sexual orientation has any bearing whatsoever on a person's moral fiber or work ethic. But being forced to give someone a job or being forced to work for someone else because other people in the person's "class" have been discriminated against in the past is no better than the original discrimination.
You clearly don't understand what protected classes are. Neither "homosexual" or "black" is a protected class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.