Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 10:03 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,524,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I can't believe anyone would form an opinion because of a single movie. Look at how the global warming supporters have distanced themselves from Al Gore.

Yes, an creature like a killer whale is better off in the wild BUT the only reason a large portion of people care about any animal that is kept in captivity is because they get to see them and they become real to them. If they remain nothing more than something they read about they are only slightly more real to them than a Yeti. Let them experience them first hand and you'll get someone who cares about them.

I think this argument has run it's course. One can appreciate the size, beauty and majesty of Orcas without going to Sea World and buying a stuffed toy.

Quote:
They would quickly die in small cages. When people have to use hyperbole like this you know their point isn't very strong because they feel they must exaggerate.
Well, tell us, HOW big are those cages that you feel are sufficient? This animal should have the Ocean in which to swim, not a big swimming pool.

I forsee, in the near future, Sea World making an announcement regarding their release of Orcas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2014, 10:03 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,548,631 times
I fully support this. Set them free!

Old 03-09-2014, 10:11 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I think this argument has run it's course. One can appreciate the size, beauty and majesty of Orcas without going to Sea World and buying a stuffed toy.
It's about 2 foot on my television.

Quote:
Well, tell us, HOW big are those cages that you feel are sufficient? This animal should have the Ocean in which to swim, not a big swimming pool.

I forsee, in the near future, Sea World making an announcement regarding their release of Orcas.
I've never seen them in a cage, so.......... every animal in a zoo would be more in it's place in the wild. As I said though, they are then only an idea to most people. People care far more when they are able to see them in real life. Many species are highly endangered outside of the captivity. Without the work of zoo's and Sea World we would lose many of these animals.

Old 03-09-2014, 10:14 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,524,110 times
Quote:
It's about 2 foot on my television.

Thanks for the flippant answer.

I've never seen them in a cage, so.......... every animal in a zoo would be more in it's place in the wild. As I said though, they are then only an idea to most people. People care far more when they are able to see them in real life. Many species are highly endangered outside of the captivity. Without the work of zoo's and Sea World we would lose many of these animals.
And their work has been done with regard to killer whales. NOW they are doing more harm than good. Further, I believe that Sea World is fully aware of this ~well only a FEW trainers had to die first.

I feel the same about most Zoo's. There might be one or two spectacular zoos where the larger animals don't all look like they would rather be asleep or die.

Old 03-09-2014, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
And their work has been done with regard to killer whales. NOW they are doing more harm than good. Further, I believe that Sea World is fully aware of this ~well only a FEW trainers had to die first.

I feel the same about most Zoo's. There might be one or two spectacular zoos where the larger animals don't all look like they would rather be asleep or die.
Noting that Orca's on television are maybe 2 foot long isn't a flippant answer. That's all they are to many who would only see them on television. Nothing any more real than E.T.

This may be an unfortunate fact but a fact it is. Without zoo's and places like Sea World we will lose many of the animals currently in the wild. Yes, it is unfortunate for the few in captivity but they are treated well.

Old 03-09-2014, 11:07 AM

46,951 posts, read 25,984,404 times
Quote:
Noting that Orca's on television are maybe 2 foot long isn't a flippant answer. That's all they are to many who would only see them on television. Nothing any more real than E.T.

This may be an unfortunate fact but a fact it is. Without zoo's and places like Sea World we will lose many of the animals currently in the wild. Yes, it is unfortunate for the few in captivity but they are treated well.
We seem to be able to remain focused on saving other whale species without having to lock them up and make them do tricks, no?

Old 03-09-2014, 11:10 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,589,904 times
I watched that black fish movie last night and I should have known better than to watch a movie made by CNN. It was just a bunch of disgruntled former employees complaining about Seaworld and trying to blame Seaworld for all of the Orca attacks around the world. It sounds like these animals attacked people all the time, and they attacked and killed each other. I don't see why they are so different from circus lions or elephants.

Old 03-09-2014, 11:14 AM

11,578 posts, read 13,948,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I watched that black fish movie last night and I should have known better than to watch a movie made by CNN. It was just a bunch of disgruntled former employees complaining about Seaworld and trying to blame Seaworld for all of the Orca attacks around the world. It sounds like these animals attacked people all the time, and they attacked and killed each other. I don't see why they are so different from circus lions or elephants.
It's on par with the garbage put out by Michael Moore. Simply a hit piece.

Old 03-09-2014, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
We seem to be able to remain focused on saving other whale species without having to lock them up and make them do tricks, no?
In part because people can see this big animals up close. It would be great if we could take hundreds of thousands of people out into their natural habitat but that's not feasible.

Orca's are simply far easier to keep than a Blue Whale. Even then it's not easy.

NRDC: End Commercial Whaling

Old 03-09-2014, 05:32 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,653,965 times
Quote:
I covered why these types of shows are needed. You can address my point or continue with your "cage" argument.
I agree, people seeing orcas will make them respect orcas more (I still deeply remember the orca Shamu from my childhood.)

But most animals we keep in zoo's live longer in captivity than they do in the wild Top Ten Keeper Questions

But not Orcas. In the wild orcas have an average life expectancy of 30 to 50 years, and their estimated maximum life span is 60 to 70 years for males, and 80 to more than 100 for females. But orcas in zoo's only live an average of 9 years.
Ten Things You Didn't Know About SeaWorld | SeaWorld of Hurt

We obviously do not know how to care for these animals in captivity. And when we catch orcas in the wild we totally destroy the family group that we take the desirable orcas from. It just seems a total waste to destroy a group of wild orcas, and then put the orcas in a zoo where they only live about 9 years (when they often live 60-80 years in the wild.)

I think SeaWorld needs to realize, that they are not providing the proper environment for their captive orcas.
If Sea World wants to keep orcas in captivity, they should invest in different cages and create new lifestyles for their captive orcas.

I have learned that wild orcas spend their whole lives with their family in a very close group. Perhaps SeaWorld should build new larger cages for their orcas. And when they catch wild orcas, they should catch the entire family group, and they should house the entire group together. Then perhaps the orcas will live longer and not go insane?

Last edited by chad3; 03-09-2014 at 05:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies