U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 01:20 AM

28,305 posts, read 14,975,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Coast Republican View Post
I used to be a big fan of him and Colbert, the shows were always liberal leaning but they were still funny. I stopped watching them a few years ago because the show became too preachy, I felt that the main agenda was no longer about comedy but was about pushing a political agenda.

To give you a couple examples, during the Zimmerman trial the Daily Show went off about how Stand Your Ground allows you to shoot whoever you want. It doesn't, but they mislead people anyway.
I dont remember the Daily show ever saying that, what i remember is them saying it allowed Criminals to get away with murder, and he was right. Im not even talking about Zimmerman here.

Quote:
His show attacks gun rights often.
I hate when people say gun rights, as if anyone who disagrees with your stance on gun control is anti second Amendment or something.

Quote:
Another example is during the election, Stewart did poke fun at both candidates, but his jokes on Obama were pretty light hearted jabs where as with Romney, Stewart attacked him much more viciously and portrayed him as a selfish rich guy who doesn't care about poor people. Which I find hypocritical of him as Stewart is super wealthy too, and while I'm sure he gives to charities, as does Romeny, Stewart trying to pass himself as a common man and hating on Romney for being wealthy is simply disingenuous.
Presidential elections for the most part are pure messaging that can be boiled down to specific talking points, thats why the jokes at Obama were light hearted. He as someone who is left of center agrees with Obama. There is hardly ever anything controversial about Presidential candidates from your side of the aisle. They say generic things that everyone under their party's umbrella will understand. Where Romney comes is that he is doing the same thing, just under his party, and so people like Stewart are going to disagree with him on pretty much every level.

Jon Stewart is not super wealthy. You are talking about someone, who with a best educated guess, is only worth 80 million where as Mitt Romney is worth 250 million at the low end with millions more in trust.

There is also a difference between being born wealthy vs having accumulated cash while working in your adult life. That the key problem with your argument. Romney grew up rich, accustom to many of the things Stewart alludes to.
Rate this post positively

Old 03-09-2014, 03:39 AM

91 posts, read 69,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post

Jon Stewart is not super wealthy. You are talking about someone, who with a best educated guess, is only worth 80 million where as Mitt Romney is worth 250 million at the low end with millions more in trust.
$80 million isn't super wealthy? News to me. It's only 2600 times what the average worker makes after all.

Old 03-09-2014, 03:57 AM

278 posts, read 262,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Coast Republican View Post
I used to be a big fan of him and Colbert, the shows were always liberal leaning but they were still funny. I stopped watching them a few years ago because the show became too preachy, I felt that the main agenda was no longer about comedy but was about pushing a political agenda.

To give you a couple examples, during the Zimmerman trial the Daily Show went off about how Stand Your Ground allows you to shoot whoever you want. It doesn't, but they mislead people anyway. His show attacks gun rights often. Another example is during the election, Stewart did poke fun at both candidates, but his jokes on Obama were pretty light hearted jabs where as with Romney, Stewart attacked him much more viciously and portrayed him as a selfish rich guy who doesn't care about poor people. Which I find hypocritical of him as Stewart is super wealthy too, and while I'm sure he gives to charities, as does Romeny, Stewart trying to pass himself as a common man and hating on Romney for being wealthy is simply disingenuous.

The sad thing is, while his show is technically '' just comedy '', millions of naive young people worship the guy and use him and Colbert as their news source. Not only is it a stupid thing to do, taking information from entertainment, but these young people also vote and Stewart no doubt has a lot of influence over them.

In short. The Daily Show used to be a liberally slanted comedy show for political junkies. Now it's a liberal agenda show disguised as comedy for a young and naive liberal audience. I just change the channel and ignore him and Colbert now.
Great post. I took a Media course as an elective some years back and the (liberal) Professor actually played clips from Daily Show. Specifically this one

Jon Stewart on Crossfire - YouTube

He plays the "We are just a comedy show" card, ignores that he is admired on college campuses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Found your problem right there.

Regardless of how you feel about President Obama, you should be able to realize that as a nation have improved, atleast compared to 5 years ago.
In what sense?

Old 03-09-2014, 08:38 AM

9,006 posts, read 9,701,268 times
No. I used to like Jon Stewart,
even checked out the show a few times....
but he got to be too full of himself,
& his political agenda is a huge turn off.
And the other guy-
Colbert I think his name is-
I can't stand him.

Old 03-09-2014, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveYOU2 View Post
In what sense?
Economic measures.

even if you want to go by "real" employment, it is down 4 points from 2009.

Our economy/GDP had negative growth 5 years ago, now its has positive growth.

These arent opinions, these are facts.

Saying that we arent better off means you are either very partisan or honestly dont know what a recession actually is.

Old 03-09-2014, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amabokcuf View Post
$80 million isn't super wealthy? News to me. It's only 2600 times what the average worker makes after all.
The above comment is flawed.

Net worth(total assets) and yearly income(what you make in a year) are not the same, you seem to have confused the 2.

Jon Stewart over a 30 year career has accumulated 80 million dollars. Again , that is a guess, no one really knows how much he has, it could be 2 million dollars for all we know.

And Also, you kind of made my point. Mitt Romney is worth 3 times as much as Stewart, they arent on the same level of "wealth"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.