Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 03:45 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,364,890 times

Advertisements

I could never make it watching the whole show at one sitting because mostly I find him a boring imbecile. It is shocking the some people turn to the show for news but in reality it is a show that caters to the ignorant masses. I do not find him or Colbert funny , entertaining, or imformative.

Old 03-08-2014, 03:56 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,709,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
I like Stewart, but I liked John Oliver much better.
Oh, I love John Oliver. Also the Black woman on the show whose name I don't know.

I occasionally watch Daily show. sometimes he hits the nail and is laugh-outloud funny.
other times not so much

I think he and Colbert are too conscious of their own celebrity to really good comics any more.

Old 03-08-2014, 04:16 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,321,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenrr View Post
Oh, I love John Oliver. Also the Black woman on the show whose name I don't know.

I occasionally watch Daily show. sometimes he hits the nail and is laugh-outloud funny.
other times not so much

I think he and Colbert are too conscious of their own celebrity to really good comics any more.
Jessica Williams.
I was really disappointed when Stewart came back. I was enjoying John Oliver that much.

Old 03-08-2014, 06:11 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Jessica Williams.
I was really disappointed when Stewart came back. I was enjoying John Oliver that much.
Well John Oliver hopes you watch his new show. I was actually really surprised, he did a great job on the Daily Show, though I still prefer Jon Stewart to host it.

As for the OP's question, no I don't think Jon Stewart has changed since Obama took office. Bush had a tendency to say things that was easy to make fun of, but Obama not so much other than his recent misspelling of respect. The Daily Show is about making fun of what's in the news, not attacking people for partisan reasons like you find on garbage 24hr News Channels.

Old 03-08-2014, 06:25 AM

57,260 posts, read 26,192,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveYOU2 View Post
I just don't see him riding Obama on a nightly basis like he did Bush. The Nation hasn't improved, yet Stewart seems to have moved onto new targets in the political game.

Maybe my view is flawed, meaning Stewart hasn't changed: He's always been far left leaning.

While Colbert's "character" is obviously right leaning, he still challenges every guest he has on. I'm currently watching as Stewart has a guest speaking on Crimea and her opinion is extremely elementary and out dated from the Cold War. Yet he doesn't challenge her opinions, just continues lobbing softballs.

The episodes "Special piece" was a catch em, on how there are poor people without health care in America. Is there a nation on the globe with more accessible college entry than the USA? There are so many issues on this globe and I'm supposed to feel sorry for people unwilling to attend college/get a job. Come on Stewart
I thought the special piece was funny in a nation that touts it's health care as the best in the world. A chopper landing in Knoxville like it was 3rd world country with physicians in what looked like a gym, good satire. Try not to read too much into it, not there to evenly address the problems of the nation or the world it's a comedy show.

Third World Health Care - Knoxville, Tennessee Edition - The Daily Show with Jon Stewart - 03/06/14 - Video Clip | Comedy Central

Old 03-08-2014, 06:37 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,130,732 times
I like Jon Stewart. I attended "The Jon Stewart Show" as an audience member live many years ago. I find him just as funny on the daily show in recent times.

Old 03-08-2014, 07:14 AM

1,138 posts, read 1,041,869 times
I used to be a big fan of him and Colbert, the shows were always liberal leaning but they were still funny. I stopped watching them a few years ago because the show became too preachy, I felt that the main agenda was no longer about comedy but was about pushing a political agenda.

To give you a couple examples, during the Zimmerman trial the Daily Show went off about how Stand Your Ground allows you to shoot whoever you want. It doesn't, but they mislead people anyway. His show attacks gun rights often. Another example is during the election, Stewart did poke fun at both candidates, but his jokes on Obama were pretty light hearted jabs where as with Romney, Stewart attacked him much more viciously and portrayed him as a selfish rich guy who doesn't care about poor people. Which I find hypocritical of him as Stewart is super wealthy too, and while I'm sure he gives to charities, as does Romeny, Stewart trying to pass himself as a common man and hating on Romney for being wealthy is simply disingenuous.

The sad thing is, while his show is technically '' just comedy '', millions of naive young people worship the guy and use him and Colbert as their news source. Not only is it a stupid thing to do, taking information from entertainment, but these young people also vote and Stewart no doubt has a lot of influence over them.

In short. The Daily Show used to be a liberally slanted comedy show for political junkies. Now it's a liberal agenda show disguised as comedy for a young and naive liberal audience. I just change the channel and ignore him and Colbert now.

Old 03-08-2014, 07:28 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,164,069 times
The Daily Show was okay, it used to air on digital channel More4 in the UK, as well as Channel 4's Internet catch up site 4OD. It's now moved to satellite/cable channel UK Comedy Central. It was probably funnier during the Bush administration, as Bush was a far funnier target. Don't really watch it any more, but I wish fellow Brit John Oliver all the best with his new HBO show.

John Oliver on his new HBO project and leaving the Daily Show | Television & radio | theguardian.com

Old 03-08-2014, 07:53 AM

59,022 posts, read 27,290,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
These late night talk shows really just cater to senior citizens with insomnia. They could really care less about the politics of them.
I guess you have some data to back up your claim. Or are you just guessing based on nothing?

I found this:
"Despite Fallon's relative youth, his audience isn't that much younger, with an average age of 53, compared with 58 for Leno and 56 for Letterman. (Viewers of O'Brien's TBS show, though far fewer in number, are more youthful with an average age of 36, while Colbert's and Stewart's are about 42).

Fallon marks generational shift at NBC's 'Tonight Show'

The last I heard, 36 to 58 are NOT "senior citizens with insomnia."

Old 03-08-2014, 11:53 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 21 days ago)

29,549 posts, read 16,536,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveYOU2 View Post
I just don't see him riding Obama on a nightly basis like he did Bush. The Nation hasn't improved, yet Stewart seems to have moved onto new targets in the political game.
Found your problem right there.

Regardless of how you feel about President Obama, you should be able to realize that as a nation have improved, atleast compared to 5 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies