Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 11:08 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,559,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
house to vote on bill to stop

cathy mcmorris rodgers (r, wa) and darrel issa (r, ca) put together legislation to counter the imperial presidency, which pres. Nixon sought, and pres. Obama has attained. Not according to me, but according to liberal law professor jonathan turley.

The proposal would allow congress to take a matter to the courts, and provide an expedited process, when a president decides to color outside the lines. I suppose this is largely window-dressing, since it will almost certainly die in the senate, and would be vetoed by pres. Obama. But i do think that something like this is going to be needed. Do democrats really want an imperial presidency going forward? Be careful what you wish for!

Here also is an excellent wsj op-ed by ted cruz on the topic:
ted cruz: The imperial presidency of barack obama - wsj.com
do you want some cheese with your wine?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2014, 11:10 AM

2,025 posts, read 4,172,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
All of that vetoed by the WH, if it even makes it though the senate.

So you confirm you would be pleased with an imperial presidency or dictatorship... as long as it's a guy/gal from your side.

As long as the trains run on time, what's the harm, eh?

Old 03-09-2014, 11:14 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
My point is, we go through this whenever a Democrat is in office. The GOP squandered millions upon millions of dollars and many wasted years to try to find something to use against Clinton. Then they go completely silent when Bush comes along and takes us to war for no reason, squandering billions and costing many lives. Only to suddenly, shockingly (!!) find their voices again when a Democrat is once again in the White House.

Sorry, but their outrage is so narrowly selective that they have lost all credibility.
What a bunch of B.S.

We know you are talking about Ken Starr's investigation.

Judge Starr WORKED UNDR the Attorney General, Janet Reno, a DEMOCRAT, and she AUTHORIZED EVERY action he took.

Post FAIL.

Old 03-09-2014, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I and many conservatives did lambaste Bush over the Patriot Act, but Bush did go to Congress and get a bill passed. I hoped that Pres Obama might turn back some of these big brother policies, but he hasn't, has he?

This is really a different issue. This is about a president who consistently seeks to bypass the legislative branch. He even overtly says so. He did it with the abuse of recess appointments in an effort to stack the courts. He did it on the pot issue re WA and CO. He did it w/ FOIA. It seems likely that he misused the BATF, working "under the radar," as he told Sarah Brady, to set the stage for new regulations.
Here is your "problem". You didn't elect a "Conservative" so you basically are crying over "spilled milk" now. Your other problem? We elected a very well talented Lawyer to be our President.

Obama isn't working "under the radar" as you proclaim. He knows exactly what he is doing. Sorry "Conservatives" didn't see it coming just like you are cheering for Sarah Palin......again!

The "dummy boat" does stop at "Wasilla".

Old 03-10-2014, 07:04 AM

13 posts, read 11,735 times
Okay, so is Obama the Imperial President who shreds the Constitution or the feckless community organizer who wears mom jeans? I'm so confused.

Old 03-10-2014, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzonkmiles View Post
Okay, so is Obama the Imperial President who shreds the Constitution or the feckless community organizer who wears mom jeans? I'm so confused.
Why are you "confused"? We knew exactly who we were getting with President Obama! Perhaps you should be confused with terms like "Compassionate Conservative"!
What ever the Hell that means!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies