Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2014, 11:47 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,157,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
what's the difference between the need for a service animal for psychological illness versus physical illness?

I think it's ludicrous that some of you seem to think people are going to "fake" psychological problems in order to get away with things.

Given the social stigma of mental illness and the high cost to society of so much real mental illness going untreated, very few people are going to fake mental illness just so they can have an emotional support pet.

You do realize that one needs to get a letter from a doctor attesting to the fact that one is disabled by emotional/mental illness to a degree that some major areas of life function are affected, and that the emotional support pet may help ameliorate some of the symptoms, and help the person function better. No doctor is going to write that letter just because you want Fido around and yet you have nothing wrong with you.

The doctor has to be someone who has been treating you and is familiar with your illness. You can't just visit a doctor once and tell them you are there for a letter for an emotional support pet. You would presumably be under treatment with a physician who would be so familiar with your case that they would recommend an emotional support pet, or support you in your decision to have one.

Mental illness can be every bit as debilitating as a "physical" illness, and the more we can help people with mental illnesses to function the better for everyone.
No, you don't. You don't need a single solitary thing from a doctor. You just say "This is Fido, my service dog. He tells me I am about to have seizures." And everyone has to take your word for it. They are not allowed to question you and can not ask for any type of proof for you or the dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2014, 12:31 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
My coworker brought her dog into the office today to drop off/pick up some paperwork. Let me just say that nobody cares about this at my job, dogs come into the building occasionally without incident but are usually just walking through. This dog was in my area for 20 minutes and smelled like DOG. You know, that dog smell and it was pretty bad. Even the best behaved dogs will smell like dogs.

Old 03-14-2014, 12:36 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,531,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
You don't need a single solitary thing from a doctor. You just say "This is Fido, my service dog. He tells me I am about to have seizures." And everyone has to take your word for it. They are not allowed to question you and can not ask for any type of proof for you or the dog.
Not even that, you just have to say "This is Fido, my service dog". You don't have to say what service he performs. ADA regulations are extremely loose.

From the ADA site:
Quote:
3. Q: How can I tell if an animal is really a service animal and not just a pet?

A: Some, but not all, service animals wear special collars and harnesses. Some, but not all, are licensed or certified and have identification papers. If you are not certain that an animal is a service animal, you may ask the person who has the animal if it is a service animal required because of a disability. However, an individual who is going to a restaurant or theater is not likely to be carrying documentation of his or her medical condition or disability. Therefore, such documentation generally may not be required as a condition for providing service to an individual accompanied by a service animal. Although a number of states have programs to certify service animals, you may not insist on proof of state certification before permitting the service animal to accompany the person with a disability.

Last edited by biscuitmom; 03-14-2014 at 12:49 AM..

Old 03-14-2014, 12:45 AM

Quote:
I think it's ludicrous that some of you seem to think people are going to "fake" psychological problems in order to get away with things.
Nothing ludicrous about it, people do EXACTLY that, increasingly, in order to get Fifi into a restaurant or theater or on a plane. There's no regulation. All one has to do is say the magic words "service dog".

Old 03-14-2014, 12:51 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Nothing ludicrous about it, people are doing EXACTLY that, increasingly, in order to get Fifi into a restaurant or theater or on a plane. There's no regulation. All one has to do is say the magic words "service dog".
And rental housing too. It's the modern way to get around "no pets allowed". I've seen tons of people posting on forums talking about how they do it or plan to.

Old 03-14-2014, 01:16 AM

10,553 posts, read 9,649,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
No, you don't. You don't need a single solitary thing from a doctor. You just say "This is Fido, my service dog. He tells me I am about to have seizures." And everyone has to take your word for it. They are not allowed to question you and can not ask for any type of proof for you or the dog.
Yes, that's true, but that is for a certified service animal.

First of all, as someone as already pointed out, there are differences in how the law treats service animals and emotional support animals.

But in order to have an emotional support pet in a non-pet housing, or on a plane, you are required to have a letter from your doctor. I'm not saying that other passengers on the plane could demand to see it, or a neighbour where you are living, but the landlord, or condo association, or airline does. That's my understanding.

My understanding is that emotional support pets are not currently allowed the same access to restaurants and stores that service animals, including psychiatric service animals, are.

Old 03-14-2014, 01:20 AM

10,553 posts, read 9,649,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
And rental housing too. It's the modern way to get around "no pets allowed". I've seen tons of people posting on forums talking about how they do it or plan to.
That's not true. You need a letter from your doctor, and there are legal specifications as to the contents of the letter. Now, if you have an easy-going landlord and they don't ask for a letter, and they just take your word for it,then I guess you are all set. But if a landlord or condo association with a no pet policy demands that you get rid of your pet, and you state it is an emotional support pet, you have to have the documentation from your medical practitioner to support that, and they have a right to see that documentation.

Old 03-14-2014, 01:36 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Quote:
Yes, that's true, but that is for a certified service animal.

First of all, as someone as already pointed out, there are differences in how the law treats service animals and emotional support animals.

But in order to have an emotional support pet in a non-pet housing, or on a plane, you are required to have a letter from your doctor. I'm not saying that other passengers on the plane could demand to see it, or a neighbour where you are living, but the landlord, or condo association, or airline does. That's my understanding.

My understanding is that emotional support pets are not currently allowed the same access to restaurants and stores that service animals, including psychiatric service animals, are.
They do I see them about one a month in the BASKET of a person at stores. Imean if you are bringing in a dog on a leash that is one thing, but many treat the dog like a pet and not a service animal. That is the issue in my mind. If you have the dog in your lap while you ride in an ECV at a store, you might have problems that therapy dog can only help to a point and other alternative methods should be explored by yourself and your doctor.

Last edited by mkpunk; 03-14-2014 at 02:25 AM..

Old 03-14-2014, 01:47 AM

Quote:
No, no such letter or other documentation is required in any circumstance, on any airline, or in any housing, or in any public place. Your understanding is wrong.

Quote:
Again, your understanding is totally wrong, in every state and municipality. Where on earth did you get such an idea?

Again, just to repeat and clarify, here's the ADA regulation.
The only thing a business (housing, airlines, restaurants, theaters, etc) can ask is this:
Quote:
If you are not certain that an animal is a service animal, you may ask the person who has the animal if it is a service animal required because of a disability
They (said business) have to accept a Yes or No answer, they cannot ask further questions or request further documentation.

Last edited by biscuitmom; 03-14-2014 at 01:55 AM..

Old 03-14-2014, 02:01 AM

Quote:
You need a letter from your doctor, and there are legal specifications as to the contents of the letter. Now, if you have an easy-going landlord and they don't ask for a letter, and they just take your word for it,then I guess you are all set. But if a landlord or condo association with a no pet policy demands that you get rid of your pet, and you state it is an emotional support pet, you have to have the documentation from your medical practitioner to support that, and they have a right to see that documentation.
Wow, this is such a wildly misinformed, incorrect statement that I don't even know where to begin. ellemint, please see my previous post and educate yourself re current laws.

Honestly all I can think is that you're indulging in wishful thinking regarding how you think things should be.

Last edited by biscuitmom; 03-14-2014 at 02:13 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies