Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2014, 12:37 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,186,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
How prevalent a problem is this? I see people taking dogs everywhere they should not these days, but they are not being passed off as assistance dogs, these are just AHs who feel entitled. I see comparatively few assistance dogs out and about.
I don't know, I'm talking in general. When we stop asking questions we get pretty stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2014, 01:09 PM

20,123 posts, read 16,142,906 times
Quote:
I think it speaks to a special kind of nastiness if someone were to see a person with an assistance companion and immediately assume it was unneeded or that the person was fraudulent.
I guess I am guilty of that special kind of nastiness. If it is a little yappy dog, that is not behaving the way a trained service dog should, then I do make that assumption. If it is a well behaved dog acting the way a trained service dog should, then no I don't.

Quote:
How prevalent a problem is this? I see people taking dogs everywhere they should not these days, but they are not being passed off as assistance dogs, these are just AHs who feel entitled. I see comparatively few assistance dogs out and about.
Yes, they are. The minute a person with one of these non-service dogs is approached and told that dogs are not allowed in the place, they claim theirs is a service dog.

Old 03-15-2014, 01:13 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,316,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temazepam View Post
Why don't YOU and all your dog-toting buddies stay at home?! And the dogs as well! WTF is it to you, you ask? Their yapping and jumping on me and humping my leg and slobbering on me. Yuck. I should be able to go anywhere I want and not be subject to that.
Calm down. Perhaps you need more of your moniker.

Old 03-15-2014, 01:16 PM

1,276 posts, read 1,774,038 times
Dogs are awesome, come on. Dogs make people happy, lower blood pressure and more devoted then any human. Sure, they can be a hassle sometimes and there are some mean dogs, but dogs you see as service dogs are mild -mannered, well behaved and trained.

Old 03-15-2014, 01:38 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,555,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I guess I am guilty of that special kind of nastiness. If it is a little yappy dog, that is not behaving the way a trained service dog should, then I do make that assumption. If it is a well behaved dog acting the way a trained service dog should, then no I don't.

Yes, they are. The minute a person with one of these non-service dogs is approached and told that dogs are not allowed in the place, they claim theirs is a service dog.
Service dogs are identified as such for a multitude of reasons, predominantly to prevent distraction to the dog while they are working. If they are not identified I doubt many people would encourage their presence everywhere.

Old 03-15-2014, 02:50 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,877,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaboy View Post
Dogs are awesome, come on. Dogs make people happy, lower blood pressure and more devoted then any human. Sure, they can be a hassle sometimes and there are some mean dogs, but dogs you see as service dogs are mild -mannered, well behaved and trained.
The service dogs are trained to be mild-mannered, well behaved and what not. An emotionally helper dog is a different story and may or may not be trained. I see this as much as service dogs for the blind at a Walmart or super-market. As I've said, most are lapdogs for emotional support. To me, that is the difference. If they look like Paris Hilton's dog and you treat them as such, they are likely not service animals and shouldn't be taken to stores.

Old 03-15-2014, 03:16 PM

20,123 posts, read 16,142,906 times
Quote:
Service dogs are identified as such for a multitude of reasons, predominantly to prevent distraction to the dog while they are working. If they are not identified I doubt many people would encourage their presence everywhere.
I am really confused about what you are saying. Bottom line - the vast majority of dogs you see out and about are not real service dogs, unless you count emotional support dogs, which the ADA doesn't. However, people can claim they are service dogs because there are no regulations, no proof of any kind is required, businesses are not allowed to question the validity of the owner's claim, and people think they are the center of the universe and their wants trump all else so they have no qualms about lying.

Old 03-15-2014, 04:57 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,644,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temazepam View Post
I thought also that the Health Department has some say in the matter.

I used to have a neighbor who'd go on and on about how her dog was a "service dog" and when she was out with him, he'd wear a special vest. Then, I saw her get into her car and drive. So when she returned home, I called her out on it, and said, "You're not blind, waddya need a service dog for?" She got all snippy and said to look it up on the internet. It didn't answer my question. Since when were they called service dogs anyway? Back in my day, they were called Guide Dogs and only accompanied blind people. Nowadays, I see these women carrying their yappy pampered little foofoo beasts into stores and the store staff allowing it! I knew that sorta behavior went on in Paris, but what has America come to??

I don't like dogs anyway, but I wish I could take my cat in public with me for emotional support (I get agoraphobia), but she absolutely hates to be taken anywhere. Yeah, for heaven's sake, if you're not blind, LEAVE THE DOG AT HOME! Except for the vet's office. "Emotional Support Animals" What a bunch of sniveling sissies some people have become!
It's ignorant to believe that service dogs are only for the blind.

Old 03-15-2014, 07:41 PM

1,410 posts, read 2,138,527 times
Quote:
There's a whole lot of this going on in Orange County, CA where I live. Old women carry the little varmints into the bank too. (no vest, they're not even claiming it's a service dog, they just won't leave the little brat at home) Dog parks and some beaches are different, but I have issue with those that carry their little foofoo dogs into indoor businesses. I've always wondered about those who tote them around in their purses...doesn't the little beast leave a little present in there? Can you imagine these AW women reaching down in their purses for their checkbook, and they feel something warm and moist?

Old 03-15-2014, 07:46 PM

1,410 posts, read 2,138,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
It's ignorant to believe that service dogs are only for the blind.
Well then color me confused, because it seemed like not too many years ago, it was only seeing eye dogs. This whole Service Dog for other types of needs is a new one on me. How long has it been going on for?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies