Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 08:45 AM

11,578 posts, read 13,950,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Just as an FYI - did you see the ad on the left side of that article that says "Take your dog everywhere. Emotional support and service dogs. Your dog may qualify. Easy Process"? THAT is part of the problem.
Virtually anyone can have virtually any dog declared a "service dog" for virtually any reason.

Ken
Yep. Saw that. LOL. You can also go to eBay and see there are 2,862 results for service dog vest. People just buy the vest and they're good to go as most business owners are not going to call someone out on the issue of their dog being a legitimate service animal.

I HATE people that abuse laws like this. It's like those who park in handicap spots via the use of fraudulent tags/stickers/plates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2014, 08:45 AM

n/a posts
i hope when i'm older i have so little to worry about such that "dogs in restaurants" is on my radar.

Old 03-09-2014, 08:49 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,334,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Yep. Saw that. LOL. You can also go to eBay and see there are 2,862 results for service dog vest. People just buy the vest and they're good to go as most business owners are not going to call someone out on the issue of their dog being a legitimate service animal.

I HATE people that abuse laws like this. It's like those who park in handicap spots via the use of fraudulent tags/stickers/plates.
I know you and I don't see eye to eye very often, but I'm 100% with you on this one - including the improper use of handicapped parking spots - it's just plain wrong and belittles the folks who have legitimate need for those animals/handicapped parking spaces. It really ticks me off.

Ken

Old 03-09-2014, 08:51 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Letting business owners decide whether they allow pets or not would be best.

Old 03-09-2014, 08:54 AM

1,179 posts, read 1,552,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
i hope when i'm older i have so little to worry about such that "dogs in restaurants" is on my radar.
I am pretty old and I am not there yet.

It is a DOG people, get over it.

Old 03-09-2014, 08:58 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Seriously folks, if you are so incapacitated that you need a therapy dog to go everywhere, refrain from eating at restaurants. Please.

I admire those who went to war and the only charities that I give to are veteran groups, but leave the dogs at home.
It's failed.

This is just more Special Snow-Flake Syndrome.

I'm all for pets. I have dogs, a cat, a goat, a horse, a cow, chickens, ducks; I just got another dog to take home with me. Pets are great. It's proven that people with pets live longer, and also that people with pets have less stress.

Blind people need guide dogs; people who are physically disabled and immobilized need service dogs --- that's cheaper than paying someone to baby-sit them 24/7; but this therapy dog stuff is nonsense.

Now, someone ask a stupid question like why healthcare costs are increasing....

Mircea

Old 03-09-2014, 09:07 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Letting business owners decide whether they allow pets or not would be best.
A decision best left to Big Brother, right?

Old 03-09-2014, 09:18 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
Seriously folks, if you are so incapacitated that you need a therapy dog to go everywhere, refrain from eating at restaurants. Please.

I admire those who went to war and the only charities that I give to are veteran groups, but leave the dogs at home.

I like 'em. Heck, we have a couple dogs who are around when we eat at home. It sure does not bother me in a restaurant. We usually eat at the country club, as I do not like to go out in public. However, I enjoy seeing these dogs and think it is great.

In Europe, they allow some of these dogs in restaurants. However, in MANY restaurants there, they don't like kids inside, so the kids play out front and get their chow out there while the parents eat inside. I laughed my ass off the first time I saw that.

Old 03-09-2014, 09:36 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,418,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
I find no fault in that logic.
As I said, I'm just not sure that "service dogs" are always really "service dogs".

Ken
Trained service dogs used by the blind are much different than the family pet designated a "service dog". I would bet at most 15% of that category are legit.

Old 03-09-2014, 09:50 AM

13,303 posts, read 7,870,141 times
Quote:
Logic dictates that dogs should not be in restaurants.
I've known Phd mathematicians whose dogs ate in their kitchens and dining rooms.

The dogs were there to protect and serve their owners' logic.

Most dogs I've known have had better manners than most people I've known.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies