Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2014, 10:00 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Change restaurant to airplane and now we have a potential problem.
Laws going back to the 80's do not require US carriers to accommodate emotional support animals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2014, 10:03 AM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
How would one ask for a demonstration of a dog that is train4ed to alert on a pending epileptic seizure?
Actually, the answer to the issue of what is and is not a real "service dog" is quite simple: require a doctor's prescription showing that the need for the animal is real. Issue an ID card (free, of course. The doctor can increase fees 0.5% on all patients to cover the cost) that has the name of the owner, the name of the dog, the purpose of the dog, the name of the doctor, the prescription number, and the expiration date.
No ID card? Leave your dog at home!
That would seem to be a more than "reasonable accommodation".

Old 08-28-2014, 10:14 AM

13,303 posts, read 7,872,015 times
Quote:
OMG!

What if there had been German Shepherds on board FLT 93!

OMG! OMG!

It would have made the Government's job much more difficult!

Old 08-28-2014, 10:43 AM

4,529 posts, read 5,138,902 times
Quote:
Had a lady and her annoying pug next to me on a flight from St. Thomas. The thing was panting so she fanned it with the Sky Mall for 2 hours straight. I wanted to throttle her.

Old 08-28-2014, 10:51 AM

4,529 posts, read 5,138,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Better behaved than many children that are brought to eating establishments and often cleaner.

Non-service animals don't belong in stores or restaurants. Many people are afraid of them or are allergic.

Bringing your dog into establishments where they're not needed is the height of self-absorption.

Old 08-28-2014, 10:54 AM

13,303 posts, read 7,872,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
Non-service animals don't belong in stores or restaurants. Many people are afraid of them or are allergic.

Bringing your dog into establishments where they're not needed is the height of self-absorption.
Some people need desensitivity training.

Old 08-28-2014, 02:31 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,995,391 times
People who don't want to have to eat in a restaurant with my dog, should pick another restaurant.

Old 08-28-2014, 02:33 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
People who don't want to have to eat in a restaurant with my dog, should pick another restaurant.
You shouldn't inflict your mutt on other people. Its not sanitary to have a critter that licks its ass around a food establishment.

Old 08-28-2014, 02:34 PM

9 posts, read 7,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Sorry, but you really need to seek out better treatments for your daughter's asthma and allergies. Living on the knife-edge of a fatal attack when there are very effective treatments available is very dangerous. As I said before the threat of a service animal triggering your daughter's asthma is far less likely than dander on clothing, furniture, etc. As a parent in exactly your situation I think arguing against people using service animals based on potential allergic reactions is very curious in 2014 when there are many more options available than fatalism, certainly more effective treatments than treatments available for persons who require the assistance of a service animal.
Amazed at the ignorance of some people. Having an asthma attack because of dander is no joke. There is no cure! People think there is a pill for everything. Asthma is an auto-immune disease. If you knew the facts for a change then you wouldn't assume there was a cure! In 2014 there are no cures for asthma. Medicine keeps us alive. However, people that do not know anything about it make those of us who live with this deadly disease have to hear comments like yours. Yes! There is dander everywhere but it is much worse if the animal is present. I've altered my life greatly to reduce my symptoms but it's impossible to get well because now I must be subjected to dogs everywhere I go. If only real service dogs were in restaurants and in other public places this wouldn't be a problem. There are very few guide dogs out there. But everyone claims their pet is a service dog. No one is suggesting real service dogs be banned. (Duh) People need to understand that these comfort dogs are not service animals. They do not have the right to go to places that do not allow pets.

I empathize with people that have children with asthma, especially if dander is one go the triggers. It is scary watching a child gasp for air. I wish people knew how much their pets make life very hard for these families.

Old 08-28-2014, 02:38 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
Sign, sign, everywhere a sign
Blockin' out the scenery, breakin' my mind
Do this, don't do that, can't you read the sign?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies