Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 12:57 PM

19,632 posts, read 12,222,208 times

Advertisements

This could be a significant problem for people with severe allergies or asthma. Let's see what happens when someone has a fatal asthma attack because a dog was in an inappropriate place. I see dogs in way too many places, I am allergic but not terribly so, but I know people who get very ill around dogs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2014, 01:04 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,328,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
This could be a significant problem for people with severe allergies or asthma. Let's see what happens when someone has a fatal asthma attack because a dog was in an inappropriate place. I see dogs in way too many places, I am allergic but not terribly so, but I know people who get very ill around dogs.
You bring up a very good point.
It WILL be interesting to the see the legal implications of such a situation.
Thought-provoking and insightful post.

Ken

Old 03-09-2014, 01:08 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,861,118 times
How about the little "therapy" dogs that people take on airplanes. It's great especially when they poop and you have the smell lingering throughout the cabin.

I did see one with a diaper.

Old 03-09-2014, 01:12 PM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,704,652 times
The law that protects this abuse was passed in 1996.

Given that even enforcement of demonstration of need would still leave seeing-eye dogs in restaurants, people who would suffer from fatal asthma attack from encountering a dog would still face that risk. ACA has a limit to the extent of the accommodation it calls for, and the invasiveness necessary to protect someone that readily inflicted with respiratory distress from the presence of dog fur would probably be over the threshold.

Old 03-09-2014, 01:13 PM

1,529 posts, read 1,726,450 times
After reading this thread, I think I like dogs more than I like humans now.

Old 03-09-2014, 01:17 PM

13,303 posts, read 7,868,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
They should get a service dog to desensitize from their psychosomatic allergic reactions.

Some people get asthma attacks just looking at black people.

Sometimes, just looking at pictures of black people!

Old 03-09-2014, 01:19 PM

13,685 posts, read 9,007,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolehboleh View Post
After reading this thread, I think I like dogs more than I like humans now.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog." –Mark Twain

Old 03-09-2014, 01:19 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Actually I DO think a lot of folks abuse the right of having a "service dog" with you in stores/restaurants etc. I tend to think a lot of times those are not real "service dogs" at all, but merely someone's pet with a purchased/home-made "service dog" jacket. Such folks are doing a diservice to those who ACTUALLY NEED/USE real service dogs.

Ken
This. Unfortunately, I believe that the above poster is right, that there are people who are totally abusing the "service dog" certification. That does a lot of damage to those who actually DO need their service dog. It pisses me off when people try to take advantage of a situation, just because they don't want to leave Fluffy at home.

I'd LOVE to be able to take my dogs anywhere with me, but I'm also not an ahole that tries to get some kind of "service animal" certificate for my dogs, just because of something I wish I could do. People who abuse these systems really tick me off, and when they are caught, they need to pay a hefty penalty.

For those who do actually need service dogs, tough crap if someone doesn't like them in a restaurant. Too fricken bad. Those people have just as much right as anyone else to go out and enjoy their lives, including dining out in a restaurant.

Old 03-09-2014, 01:21 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,179,879 times
I've often wondered what's the deal with these dogs. I've seen people with dogs that are far too small as well as the wrong bread to be a guide dog in restaurants and stores with people that obviously were not blind. What are these dogs for?

That being said, I could care less if some individual at the Olive Garden had a dog with them providing it wasn't pooping on the floor. Honestly, fat people are more offensive and smell worse that most dogs do.
Why does the OP even care?

Old 03-09-2014, 01:22 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,259,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Actually I DO think a lot of folks abuse the right of having a "service dog" with you in stores/restaurants etc. I tend to think a lot of times those are not real "service dogs" at all, but merely someone's pet with a purchased/home-made "service dog" jacket. Such folks are doing a diservice to those who ACTUALLY NEED/USE real service dogs.

Ken
Just do a search on ebay.

service dog" jacket | eBay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies