Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 02:36 PM

30,058 posts, read 18,652,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
The issue you complain about is being caused because a conservative court knocked down Citizens united, just as Pres. Obama warned about at SOU address.
Who cares?

Why are you making this a partisan political issue, when it is an issue that will markedly reduce the corrupt influences of PACs and special interest groups. Are you for the ability of wealthy entities to control the government at the expense of the people and the states?

Do you like your Senators chosen by wealthy individuals, PACs, and lobbyists, or by the people and the states?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 02:45 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,457,345 times
This bill would do NOTHING to curb the influence of moneyed special interests.

Nothing.

The only way to do that is to get big money out of politics entirely, starting with a reversal of the odious Citizens United ruling.

Old 03-10-2014, 03:04 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,191,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Few citizens are aware that US senators used to be appointed by state legislatures, rather than voted into office. This was established in the Constitution. The founding fathers knew that a few represenatives (two senators) could be "purchased" by outside entities and thus not reflect the interests of the state. It used to be that if Senators did not reflect the interests of the state, they were recalled.

Now we have Senators leaving office as mulit-millionaires, having been "purchased" by wealthy citizens and lobbyists, trading our liberty for cash.

Repeal the 17th.

repeal the 16th Amendment as well, and get rid of the private bank known as the federal reserve.

Old 03-10-2014, 04:35 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,193,944 times
Quote:
Few citizens are aware that US senators used to be appointed by state legislatures, rather than voted into office. This was established in the Constitution. The founding fathers knew that a few represenatives (two senators) could be "purchased" by outside entities and thus not reflect the interests of the state. It used to be that if Senators did not reflect the interests of the state, they were recalled.

Now we have Senators leaving office as mulit-millionaires, having been "purchased" by wealthy citizens and lobbyists, trading our liberty for cash.

Repeal the 17th.
Maybe you should read some of the history of the 17th amendment ... which was passed primarily because rich guys "bought" state legislatures to appoint "their" candidates to the US Senate.

Old 03-10-2014, 07:22 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,957,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
repeal the 16th Amendment as well, and get rid of the private bank known as the federal reserve.
And while we're at it let's remove everything but the 2nd Amendment because that's the one that really guarantees other "rights."

Am I right?

Old 03-10-2014, 11:54 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Votre_Chef View Post
Directly electing people is a democratic act, a component of a republican form of government.

By removing direct election of Senators, the people no longer have an equal voice in voting for who is representing them in the Senate, the state legislature would do that. Unless you wish to try and make the argument that somehow, a state legislature is more in line with everyone having an equal voice than the voters actually getting to vote for Senators themselves.
go back and read the constitution and how our officials were to be selected. when you study the original design of the government you will find that the president is sent into office by the electoral college so that states of varying sizes had a fairly equal voice in the selection of a president. this was done to prevent the largest states from telling the rest of the country who was going to be president.

the house of representatives is the peoples house of congress, we vote on them based on congressional districts, and they represent the people of the country.

the senate was to be chosen by the state legislatures as the senate was designed to be the voice of the states. its all right in the constitution.

Old 03-11-2014, 12:13 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,191,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
And while we're at it let's remove everything but the 2nd Amendment because that's the one that really guarantees other "rights."

Am I right?

no, I like all the amendments from 1-15 that actually are applied correctly. take away the federal reserve and all reason to tax the people goes out the window.

Old 03-11-2014, 04:36 AM

16,761 posts, read 8,207,350 times
Quote:
Who cares?

Why are you making this a partisan political issue, when it is an issue that will markedly reduce the corrupt influences of PACs and special interest groups. Are you for the ability of wealthy entities to control the government at the expense of the people and the states?

Do you like your Senators chosen by wealthy individuals, PACs, and lobbyists, or by the people and the states?
I like to be able to vote for who represents me.. It was made a partisan political issue when a conservative SCOTUS said that money = free speech.

I do not want a minority party, who is in power at the state level, to be able to load up the federal gov't..

Infact I believe we need to do away with the Electoral College.

Old 03-11-2014, 05:15 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,466,132 times
Quote:
I like to be able to vote for who represents me.. It was made a partisan political issue when a conservative SCOTUS said that money = free speech.

I do not want a minority party, who is in power at the state level, to be able to load up the federal gov't..

Infact I believe we need to do away with the Electoral College.
In fact it`s the Senate that needs to be done away with. People should have representation, not real estate.
Abolish the Senate: Truly Radical, Yet Wholly Sensible Reform | FDL Action

Old 03-31-2014, 04:13 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,779,270 times
Quote:
I like to be able to vote for who represents me.
U.S Senators were never intended to represent you. That's why you didn't vote for them, until the 17th was passed. Representing you, was the House's job. The Senators were intended to represent their state government, and that government's interests, AGAINST the Fed govt and the interests of other states.

The idea was, the Senators would only pass things that a majority of state govts agreed on. And the fact that the Fed govt might not agree, was tough luck for the Fed.

Both ideas were destroyed by the 17th amendment. For that reason, it should be repealed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies