Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 10:48 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,649,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
I don't believe a word of what anyone says. This was a case of poor parenting, not a wayward child. His mother had an income for more than $300,000 per year without working and no other kids to support. With all the time in the world on her hands and more money than she ever needed, she did nothing to get help for him. His mother was as mentally ill as he was. The article states that since Nancy was a gun toting enthusiast who taught Adam to shoot, she was an accessory to the crime and not a victim. She was an accessory because she was a poor parent. Since his parents were divorced, we don't know what access his father was allowed, so it is kind of hard to blame his father if he was not allowed access. However, I believe that if his father had spent as much time with Adam as he did on his career at GE, Adam would have been a much different person and certainly would not have committed such an act. In other words, if Peter Lanza had put his family first, not his job, this shooting would never had happened, just as if a lot of corporate ladder climbing middle class parents put their family ahead of their jobs, they wouldn't have to bail their kids out of jail every now and then.
Why don't you go back and actually read the article the OP posted a link to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 11:49 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
The kid had something physically wrong with him.

Bad parenting was not the cause. Neither was money.

Neurological problems. Brain. Got overstimulated simply by bright colors or sounds, touch. It got worse.

Parents took him to psychiatrists.

He was a very bright kid. The mother chose to put him in college instead of concentrating more on his neurological problems. She just couldn't believe that such a smart kid couldn't get control of himself and just succeed in school.

The father spent a lot of time with him and after the divorce he tried to spend weekends but Adam didn't want to see him. The father kept on trying.

The brother also tried to see him.

Toward the end he wouldn't communicate with anyone, only his mother. And that was only by email. He emailed his mother even though they lived in the same house!

How impossible was it to reach out to this kid. He was unreachable.

He was sick beyond what any parent could handle but the mother refused to believe this. She catered to him, covered for him, told workers not to come near the house, no one could enter the house. She protected him but that was the wrong thing to do. She told the father to stay away.

But she didn't even cause it. He was a sick person and no one really understands this kind of mental condition. A chemical imbalance probably. Probably would have been better off in some kind of facility that is set up to handle cases like this.

Old 03-11-2014, 01:16 AM

243 posts, read 509,728 times
I feel sorry for the dad, and for the mother who was out of her depth with a crazy kid, I don't think it's a case of bad parenting but just a sad case all round

Old 03-11-2014, 01:20 AM

243 posts, read 509,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by June87 View Post
I think there's a lot of proof Adam Lanza might not have even been a real person. Have you ever notice how few pictures there are of him?
there is about 3? floating about I think, maybe not even that, maybe the father didn't release any more than that?

how you mean Adam Lanza mightn't have been a real person? and Snowball- who do you think did it?

Old 03-11-2014, 04:57 AM

973 posts, read 1,453,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy68 View Post
there is about 3? floating about I think, maybe not even that, maybe the father didn't release any more than that?

how you mean Adam Lanza mightn't have been a real person? and Snowball- who do you think did it?
That's still not a lot. It very easy to create a picture of someone and claim they're a real person. I might be wrong, but another thing was early in the case they thought Ryan (I remember this as I live in NJ) was the killer. WTF? How could someone get back to NJ so fast? There's a lot of things that don't add with Adam Lanza. As I said, maybe I'm wrong but things seem funny to me.

Old 03-11-2014, 05:24 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times
Quote:
I think there's a lot of proof Adam Lanza might not have even been a real person. Have you ever notice how few pictures there are of him?
Quote:
That's still not a lot. It very easy to create a picture of someone and claim they're a real person. I might be wrong, but another thing was early in the case they thought Ryan (I remember this as I live in NJ) was the killer. WTF? How could someone get back to NJ so fast? There's a lot of things that don't add with Adam Lanza. As I said, maybe I'm wrong but things seem funny to me.

Old 03-11-2014, 06:31 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,039,806 times
I believe the mother was mentally ill herself. Her actions did not reflect rational thinking and parenting.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:55 AM

5,333 posts, read 8,545,426 times
One of the core aspects to this case, IMO, is that one of Adam's special interests was mass murder. A person with Asperger's can have a special interest in just about anything - World War II, cats, you name it.

This was a boy whose ability to function in the world was gradually deteriorating. Even if his mother had the very best of intentions, his mental illness was way beyond what she had the skill to handle in an appropriate manner. While her responses to Adam over the years did not cause him to be the way he was, they may have inadvertently reinforced his mental illness in a negative way. Same with the father.

So you have this socially withdrawn, isolated, frustrated boy who is obsessed with mass murder and lives in a home full of weapons and ammunition.

And no one around him grasped the magnitude of his problems, and the deadly trajectory he was on.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:32 AM

26,727 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
...early in the case they thought Ryan (I remember this as I live in NJ) was the killer. WTF?
Adam was carrying Ryan's ID.

Old 03-11-2014, 10:01 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,831,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
I believe the mother was mentally ill herself. Her actions did not reflect rational thinking and parenting.
I concur.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies