Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 08:28 PM

26 posts, read 35,799 times

Advertisements

I've never seen this. I have seen women take young boys into the womens bathroom though. Men couldn't take little girls to the mens bathroom (because of urinals). Some double standards make sense...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2014, 08:32 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,930,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadyLadyTX View Post
I've never seen this. I have seen women take young boys into the womens bathroom though. Men couldn't take little girls to the mens bathroom (because of urinals). Some double standards make sense...
They do though. Not often, but often enough. My gym says children under 3 can be in the opposite sex locker room. This guy had his 10 year old daughter in with him the other day. NOT a thing you want to do to a 10 year old. All these men standing around completely naked. They don't all look buff like me either. I went out to complain as soon as I got dressed and other men were complaining too. The manager was just shrugging his shoulders, he clearly didn't want to confront this guy and make him get his little girl out of there.

H

Old 03-12-2014, 12:10 PM

1,515 posts, read 2,273,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
They do though. Not often, but often enough. My gym says children under 3 can be in the opposite sex locker room. This guy had his 10 year old daughter in with him the other day. NOT a thing you want to do to a 10 year old. All these men standing around completely naked. They don't all look buff like me either. I went out to complain as soon as I got dressed and other men were complaining too. The manager was just shrugging his shoulders, he clearly didn't want to confront this guy and make him get his little girl out of there.

H
That is awful. What was the 10 year old saying or doing? I know that my son at 10 years would refuse to go into my dressing room or gym locker room. No way in hell could I drag him in there. If I did drag him into a gym locker room, there would be such an outrage from the ladies in there that we would be driven out with pitchforks, lol.

If the manager won't do anything, I would go up the corporate chain and explain this situation in great detail. I really question the judgment of that father.

Old 03-12-2014, 01:01 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,812,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986pacecar View Post
I guess what bothers me is the double standard. It's okay for these women to go into the dressing area and chit chat with their family member while other men are trying on clothes and assuming there is some implied privacy in the fitting area.

If a middle age man were to go into the women's fitting area and stand outside the door while other women are coming and going don't you think that would set off some alarms?
Double standard?

Yes, there is, and I say that and this as a man.

A man in a woman's dressing room is far more likely to be up to no good than is a woman in a man's dressing room. People who spy on others (cameras, peep holes - these stories make the news now and then) in dressing rooms are almost always men, and the spied upon are almost always women. Leering is disproportionately man-on-woman. And sexual violence? Hopefully, you don't need the skewed stats on that pointed out to you.

So, yeah, a man in a woman's dressing room is going - quite rightly - to set off far more alarms bells than is a woman in a man's dressing room.

The double standard that upsets you is due to a double standard that should upset you far, far more.

Old 03-12-2014, 05:10 PM

1,659 posts, read 1,658,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Double standard?

Yes, there is, and I say that and this as a man.

A man in a woman's dressing room is far more likely to be up to no good than is a woman in a man's dressing room. People who spy on others (cameras, peep holes - these stories make the news now and then) in dressing rooms are almost always men, and the spied upon are almost always women. Leering is disproportionately man-on-woman. And sexual violence? Hopefully, you don't need the skewed stats on that pointed out to you.

So, yeah, a man in a woman's dressing room is going - quite rightly - to set off far more alarms bells than is a woman in a man's dressing room.

The double standard that upsets you is due to a double standard that should upset you far, far more.
Thanks for the lecture and condescending tone. Talk about skewing words to reflect what you think I meant. There are men's fitting rooms and women's fitting rooms and both should expect privacy while trying on clothes. How this got to be about sexual predators is beyond me. I'm just asking for common courtesy and respecting boundaries.

Old 03-12-2014, 10:03 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,915,269 times
I've seen this also, where a woman walks into the men's dressing room with her husband. I think the best way to handle this is the way I have already seen in a few stores. They have one big unisex changing room for trying on clothes. Solves the problem.

Old 03-13-2014, 03:56 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,242,081 times
I must lead a very boring life. None of the stuff that I see here ever happens to me. I'm in my mid 50's and have never seen a female enter a men's dressing room while I'm in there.

Old 03-13-2014, 04:05 PM

20,763 posts, read 19,968,204 times
There is alot of grown up men who act like babies when it comes to buying and trying on clothes. Therefore, wifes need to step in and help them look presentable and don't buy too long/wide/short/tight clothes and look ridiculous.

I don't do that but my mom does. Every time my dad buys something on his own, it looks horrible on him.

Old 03-13-2014, 04:47 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
There is alot of grown up men who act like babies when it comes to buying and trying on clothes. Therefore, wifes need to step in and help them look presentable and don't buy too long/wide/short/tight clothes and look ridiculous.

I don't do that but my mom does. Every time my dad buys something on his own, it looks horrible on him.
While it is often true that some grown men act like babies they are not real babies and their wives should wait outside of the actual dressing room area for them to show her the clothes that they are considering buying.

I think that the OP may have been referring to those very few stores that have sort of an open area where multiple men & boys are changing & trying on clothes in front of each other. When I have seen that type of set up it usually was in stores that sold "trendy teen & early 20 something clothing". Clearly a mom or girlfriend in an area where men & boys are in their underwear would be quite upsetting. Heck, I was once in a female "open changing area" and I was a little embarrassed to change in front of everyone (I am a grown woman).

Sometimes individual booths/stalls in changing areas in stores have doors that are high off the ground and/or are quite low. I can see where a man or teenage boy would be uncomfortable changing if a mom could easily see over or under the door to where he was trying on clothes.

Old 03-13-2014, 05:22 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,952,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
I have been asked/told quite a few times that it is okay for me to go assist my wife in the women's dressing and even bathrooms. I always decline, both because my wife does not need the assistance and that laws or no laws, it would freak out many of the women in them, even if not all of them. I have a bigger problem when men bring their 5 year old daughters into men's bathrooms. Yikes! Clearly these men don't have any clue of the psychic damage that can be done to a female at an impressionable age by the sight of undiluted Mandingo equipment in such close quarters. They should though, don't they read?

H
I have shopped with my sons and never felt the need to enter the Men's Dressing Room area. I am respectful of everyone's right to privacy. Seems to be the common response from the women here.

As for the second scenario, in most of the men's bathrooms the urinals are along the wall. Since it's unnecessary for men to disrobe in that situation, the likelihood of anyone seeing undiluted Mandingo equipment (and don't we have a high opinion of ourselves ) is slim.

Daddies I have spoken to don't relish having to take a little girl into that situation, but when the child is too small to fend for herself, Dad has to do what he has to do. The child is quickly hustled into a stall, the door is closed and the necessary activity takes place. Dad announces when exiting the stall that a child is present and there should be no "sighting" taking place.

Actually, I have on occasion used a men's bathroom in a public place. Of course, there was no one of the male persuasion present at the time and we always had a gal pal standing guard at the door.

ShadyLady: There are stalls in most men's bathrooms, as well as urinals. Sometimes what they have to do can't be done standing up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies