Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 11:01 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,005,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
Your personal beliefs are protected insofar as you do not trample on the rights of others.
What right does a person have under the U.S. Constitution to force another person to bake a cake for them against their conscience?

Old 03-11-2014, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Do libs support or reject the free exercise of religion?
Its abundantly clear through the responses given and the dodging of certain other questions that they reject the free exercise of religion.

Old 03-11-2014, 11:09 AM

11,760 posts, read 14,652,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihurricane555 View Post
I think both sides are forgetting an even bigger issue. the freedom to deny someone something just because I feel like it. I'll use an extreme Example. If my neighbor is having a heart attack and I happen to see it. I decide to just not worry about it and go back inside. it later turns out he dies. While morally it's reprehensible to ignore him. I have no obligation to help him. Now if I can let someone die. How can I not just decide to deny anyone a cake.
That's not a right. It's limited by antidiscrimination laws.

If you want to charge a higher price for someone who is left-handed you can, because there is no law that says you can't. In most states if you want to charge women a higher price than men, or vice versa, you can because sex discrimination is not prohibited on public accommodations. In a state that prohibits discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation you can't choose to serve heterosexuals and not homosexuals.

Old 03-11-2014, 11:20 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,205,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
What part of the constitution requires a person to serve another person contrary to their conscience and religious principles?
Can't answer the question?

So if my religious belief says that it is wrong to serve Jews, then I can refuse to sell items to Jewish people?
(just an example)

Old 03-11-2014, 11:22 AM

Quote:
What right does a person have under the U.S. Constitution to force another person to bake a cake for them against their conscience?
If baking cakes goes against their conscious, then maybe opening a bakery is not their best idea.

Old 03-11-2014, 11:24 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,844,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Just curious. As an avowed atheist, this to me is still one of the fundamental freedoms. Congressional candidate Erika Harold speaks powerfully about this freedom
here.

Is this now obsolete? We see now religious organizations compelled to comply with the tenor of the times. Don't want to bake a cake for a gay wedding--you're sued. Don't want to supply birth control to your students--you're sued again--and get a dressing-down from the POTUS.

Do libs support or reject the free exercise of religion?
As a liberal who is also a Christian, I don't feel the first amendment is obsolete and I value the freedom or religion. I therefore understand that the secular laws allow me to discriminate within religious institutions However, once I engage in functions outside the religious institution I'm am subject to the secular laws that prevent me from discriminating. I would point out that "birth control" pills have health uses other than contraception.

Old 03-11-2014, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Can't answer the question?

So if my religious belief says that it is wrong to serve Jews, then I can refuse to sell items to Jewish people?
(just an example)
You answered Harrier's question with a question

Harrier simply brought the issue from the specific back to the general principle, which you have not yet addressed.

Old 03-11-2014, 11:37 AM

Quote:
You answered Harrier's question with a question

Harrier simply brought the issue from the specific back to the general principle, which you have not yet addressed.
You answered MY question with a question.

Please try again.

(just an example)

Old 03-11-2014, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Where in the U.S. constitution does it say that anyone has to serve another person in violation of their conscience?
Well in at least one the cases the requirement is in the "Oregon Equality Act of 2007".

State of Oregon Finds Substantial Evidence Gresham Bakers Discriminated Illegally

What provision of the US Consitution would make the "Oregon Equality Act of 2007" unconstitutional under the US Consitution?

Old 03-11-2014, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Well, if you aren't talking about constitutionality then you are in the wrong thread, because the constitution is what this thread is about.

Religious freedom is guaranteed under the 1st Amendment.

The Colorado law concerning the baker violated the baker's First Amendment rights.

Any argument that you make that supports that law must be constitutionally based.
Has the case been brought to a Federal Court? What about the Colorado laws violate the US Constitution?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies