Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 09:14 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,174,352 times

Advertisements

When I worked on an IT contract at AT&T back in the 1990's, most of the employees in my building were labeled "exempt professional". It had nothing to do with the overtime rules. It prevented the phone networks from being shut down if the unionized part of AT&T went on strike. Someone had to keep the company running. Their hourly wages were converted to a yearly salary and so they magically became "white collar".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2014, 09:14 AM

13,955 posts, read 5,625,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
The work that needs to be done won't disappear. So businesses will be forced to hire more people, raising costs. Prices will be raised and the businesses may fail, causing everyone working for them to lose their jobs entirely.
Or smart people like me will volunteer for it, keep it on the QT, and be rock solid valuable employees.

Obama and the whole government can go pound sand imho. They aren't going to stop me from being the guy who CHOOSES to go the extra mile for his employer, and is rewarded in all sorts of informal ways, primarily career trajectory.

Old 03-12-2014, 09:21 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Or smart people like me will volunteer for it, keep it on the QT, and be rock solid valuable employees.

Obama and the whole government can go pound sand imho. They aren't going to stop me from being the guy who CHOOSES to go the extra mile for his employer, and is rewarded in all sorts of informal ways, primarily career trajectory.
1) This won't apply to ALL currently exempt employees or even most, so it's doubtful you'll be affected. Of course he could continue to expand the groups to which it applies.

2) With that being said, if you are, non-exempt employees cannot "volunteer" for extra time and for-profit companies are not generally allowed to have volunteers. An employer that would allow this would be subjecting themselves to far more risk than would be worth it.

Old 03-12-2014, 09:26 AM

5,719 posts, read 6,447,937 times
Quote:
Speaking only for myself, but knowing full well how many other salary exempt workers share this exact viewpoint - I'll still work overtime every single week, I still won't gripe about not being paid for it, and nothing in my life will change except how openly I discuss the fact that I work unpaid overtime.

Know why?

Because in the rat race that is high paying, salary exempt work, I can be the idiot who trumpets what the government hath decreed and how Uncle Barack has freed me from unpaid overtime, or I can be the guy who tells his boss "whatever dude, I get my sweet salary because we all know the gig can and does put demands on you more than 40 hours per, so no worries, I'll keep doing my thing and we'll just say I'm not. Sound good?"

Which of those two guys do you think has a longer shelf life in the real jungle of white collar salary work? In 10 years in the military and another 18 years in the salary exempt world, people who like to remind the boss about the workplace "let me be lazy" rules and regulations simply do not fair well, and the people who don't continually seek every excuse to do less work fair much better. It's never overt or obvious, but I am here to tell you, career trajectories for the self-righteous lazy who like to trumpet their workplace "rights" aren't exactly shooting stars...know what I mean?

And I am telling you right now, let this crap be made law, and within 30 seconds I will be telling my boss "yeah, forget that idiot, I will keep doing my thing and we'll just keep it on the QT." I like my job and I am no fool.

That is your choice, but I doubt you are working overtime for $23,000/year. In fact, if you have a "sweet salary" this doesn't appear to affect you at all.

Last edited by juppiter; 03-12-2014 at 09:37 AM..

Old 03-12-2014, 09:29 AM

259 posts, read 151,444 times
Good call. It's becoming ridiculous, budgets and staffs are being cut and the remaining employees have to pick up the slack. I have no choice but to force people to work extra hours either in the office or at home. This has to stop at some point. Again, good call, Obama.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Obama waves magic wand again, in an attempt to enrich some with the money of others:

Obama Will Seek Broad Expansion of Overtime Pay

Surprisingly, this fellow has yet to catch on to the idea of unintended consequences. The purity of his motive is totally ignorant that the path to hell is paved with good intentions.

Old 03-12-2014, 09:31 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
The current manager who works 50 hours will soon be replaced by two co-managers working 24 hours each per week.
Two people working part time. Now people are job sharing. Good for UE numbers though.

Old 03-12-2014, 09:40 AM

13,955 posts, read 5,625,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
That is your choice, but I doubt you are working overtime for $23,000/year.
First 4 years in the military I did just that, and year 4, I worked overtime that very few people who have not spent a year in an active combat theater know anything about, the tune of ~110 hour weeks average, and for less than $23k. And maybe that experience is what taught me to shut my yap, be a good employee/crew member, and just do the job instead of griping about it.

All Obama is doing with this is giving sad sacks another way to self-identify, thus giving employers an easier time in figuring out who to promote and who to downsize. Smart employees will be like me, stupid ones will trumpet their overlord Barack and his formal decree.

All kinds of ways to be "rewarded" in the real world...all kinds....

Old 03-12-2014, 09:56 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,164,730 times
I hope Obama hasn't been getting his wand out in public again, he's already been warned by the Police numerous times about this. He'll end up on the sex offenders register if he doesn't stop it. For the last time it's not magic Obama and a Genie won't appear if you give it a good hard rub.

Old 03-12-2014, 10:02 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
So that would actually help with the unemployment rate.

Also, it appears the current regulations allow you to be salaried and get no over-time pay at a wage of $23,000/year? That is a ridiculous salary for a managerial employee. That is a non-exempt employee disguised as exempt.
That's exactly right. It's been a shell game for awhile. Glad to see someone is finally shutting it down.

Old 03-12-2014, 10:10 AM

259 posts, read 151,444 times
You'll never get promoted. Why promote anybody who's happy where he is right now?

Quote:
First 4 years in the military I did just that, and year 4, I worked overtime that very few people who have not spent a year in an active combat theater know anything about, the tune of ~110 hour weeks average, and for less than $23k. And maybe that experience is what taught me to shut my yap, be a good employee/crew member, and just do the job instead of griping about it.

All Obama is doing with this is giving sad sacks another way to self-identify, thus giving employers an easier time in figuring out who to promote and who to downsize. Smart employees will be like me, stupid ones will trumpet their overlord Barack and his formal decree.

All kinds of ways to be "rewarded" in the real world...all kinds....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies