Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 10:27 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,408,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberal01 View Post
You'll never get promoted. Why promote anybody who's happy where he is right now?
Thank you, your post is a fabulous demonstration. Of ignorance.

Hardworking people who seek to be as valuable as possible to their employees, like our fellow poster, know that employers do not like to run the risk of underpaying good people. Underpaid but valuable employees can go across the street or down the block and make more money, so wise employers try to keep up.

I always suspected that liberals did not know this, or else they would be more pro-active about each person being more valuable to the rest of society--and spend less time arguing about minimum wage and work rules and the whole rest of the anti-jobs, anti-productivity agenda. Thank you for the descriptive label you use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2014, 10:38 AM

13,954 posts, read 5,623,969 times
Quote:
You'll never get promoted. Why promote anybody who's happy where he is right now?
Too bad you have no idea what you're talking about. At three different employers, I was promoted in house, and the other employers who did not choose to recognize my value lost my services to another employer who did, each time resulting in more money, promotion, etc.

and right now, I have no desire for a promotion, because what I am doing is a really good job with a really nice balance between work/home/quality of life/etc. I still work hard, provide value and get the job done, but that is so my employer stays happy with me, since I am happy being here and in no hurry to be elsewhere.

Old 03-12-2014, 10:41 AM

259 posts, read 151,410 times
Nope. "Being underpayed" is just a perception, if you don't think you're underpaid, you're not.
Wise employers pay employees only as much as they have to. If you don't ask for a raise or promotion you'll never get it. If I can have you working for $50k, why would I pay you 70k?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Thank you, your post is a fabulous demonstration. Of ignorance.
Hardworking people who seek to be as valuable as possible to their employees, like our fellow poster, know that employers do not like to run the risk of underpaying good people. Underpaid but valuable employees can go across the street or down the block and make more money, so wise employers try to keep up.

Old 03-12-2014, 10:47 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,137,674 times
Quote:
Good call. It's becoming ridiculous, budgets and staffs are being cut and the remaining employees have to pick up the slack. I have no choice but to force people to work extra hours either in the office or at home. This has to stop at some point. Again, good call, Obama.
I agree with this in theory but this is aimed only at low-wage workers. I'd like to see it across salaried positions too. Employers are getting away with murder working people 50-60+ hr weeks while keeping staffing levels very low. They only want to pay machines and schmucks willing to sacrifice their lives and health working crazy hours.

But employers would offshore the work at higher rates and hire fewer Americans. When greed and profits for execs and stockholders is the goal, the workers will always suffer.

Old 03-12-2014, 10:52 AM

3,620 posts, read 3,835,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Too bad you have no idea what you're talking about. At three different employers, I was promoted in house, and the other employers who did not choose to recognize my value lost my services to another employer who did, each time resulting in more money, promotion, etc.

and right now, I have no desire for a promotion, because what I am doing is a really good job with a really nice balance between work/home/quality of life/etc. I still work hard, provide value and get the job done, but that is so my employer stays happy with me, since I am happy being here and in no hurry to be elsewhere.

your working hard, yet havent had more then an hour gap of posting since 8:30 AM this morning.

we all play roles online, yours is of the industrious hard worker who is the model employee.

reality is much different though.

Old 03-12-2014, 10:57 AM

5,719 posts, read 6,447,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
First 4 years in the military I did just that, and year 4, I worked overtime that very few people who have not spent a year in an active combat theater know anything about, the tune of ~110 hour weeks average, and for less than $23k. And maybe that experience is what taught me to shut my yap, be a good employee/crew member, and just do the job instead of griping about it.

All Obama is doing with this is giving sad sacks another way to self-identify, thus giving employers an easier time in figuring out who to promote and who to downsize. Smart employees will be like me, stupid ones will trumpet their overlord Barack and his formal decree.

All kinds of ways to be "rewarded" in the real world...all kinds....
An employee who shuts his yap in 2014 to work overtime at $23k when Obama says he no longer has to is not smart.

But different strokes for different folks.

This to me is cracking down on excesses. That is not a managerial wage in 2014 and the govt is calling a spade a spade.

Old 03-12-2014, 11:04 AM

259 posts, read 151,410 times
You want to become my secretary now? I don't work hard, I don't have to, I work smart. In an organization with clear objectives and metrics it's very easy to say who's doing a great job and who's simply making a lot of noise about "working hard". I don't need hard workers, I need results. If you can do an 8 hours worth of work in 5 I don't care what you do, as a salaried employee, with the rest of your day. Spend it with your kids and see you tomorrow.
I had some "hard workers" in my organization before, early in the office, late out with no results to brag about. They're gone together with brown-nosers. I don't need "hard workers", I need productive workers. When people I support meet their objectives I shut my yap and stay out of their way. I think they appreciate it and as a result are more productive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
your working hard, yet havent had more then an hour gap of posting since 8:30 AM this morning.

we all play roles online, yours is of the industrious hard worker who is the model employee.

Last edited by Liberal01; 03-12-2014 at 11:33 AM..

Old 03-12-2014, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post

Ah, the ad hominem of "oh yeah...explain your posting then..." I work on a computer. Some days my post count is high because some days, the work I am doing locks up my development tools for 2-10 minutes at a time. When that occurs, I can stare at an hourglass, or I can post, or I can go walk around the building. I choose to post.

I know my reality, regardless of what you wish to believe.

Old 03-12-2014, 11:09 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,677,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
The former publisher of a magazine called The American Conservative is not a conservative? Maybe you should have read the story before posting. You think?
Calling for government to force all employers to raise wages by about 40%, to offset social welfare, based upon nothing but the whims of another citizen..... is not conservatism, it's big government liberalism.

The man can claim to be a Constitutional conservative all day, but he's proven his just a liberal prog, using government to force private citizens to conform to his ideas.

This was all I needed to see, to classify this man as a big government liberal, who wants to use government to force his personal opinions down the throats of others:

Using what he sees as conservative principles to advocate a policy long championed by the left, Mr. Unz argues that significantly raising the minimum wage would help curb government spending on social services, strengthen the economy and make more jobs attractive to American-born workers.

It's really nothing more then a tax on private sector businesses, forcing them to pay social welfare to their employees, in the form of wage increases.

Old 03-12-2014, 11:12 AM

Quote:
You want to become my secretary now? I don't work hard, I don't have to, I work smart. In an organization with clear objectives and metrics it's very easy to say who's doing a great job and who's simply making a lot of noise about "working hard". I don't need hard workers, I need results. If you can do an 8 hours worth of work in 5 I don't care what you do, as a salaried employee, with the rest of your day. Spend it with your kids and see you tomorrow.
I had some "hard workers" in my organization before, early in the office, late out with no results to brag about. They're gone together with brown-nosers. I don't need "hard workers", I need productive workers.
This.

I too am in a results driven profession. I get tasks, I get deadlines, and I produce results. Shockingly, I can post on one screen while watching an hourglass on another, and still produce the results my employer demands well within the time they demand it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies