Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 08:56 AM

2,601 posts, read 3,398,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post
Where's that guy on here who owns a business? I hope he chimes in soon since he is more than just a disgruntled employee--even if he is a liberal . I work on hourly wage, so i get over time. However, even if I didn't, I am a long-term thinker: I would rather be employed at a lower rate indefinitely than to make more and have to deal with the horror of losing a job/lay off.

If this is something that won't affect job security then I won't fight it per se, but I won't stand for it on principal either. Giving the government more power to interfere with private sector business is a double-edged sword. Your job sucks, get a new one. Life doesn't always hand you an opportunity, opportunity often involves hard work.
That's why people are willing to work for 2 dollars an hour if there weren't laws protecting them. The government is there to protect people from abuses. That's why a 40 hour work week exists so we don't end up like China with sweat shops.

You're buying into fear tactics used by the ownership class about losing jobs due to them paying you an extra dollar an hour.(minimum wage fight) Trust me, profit margins are not that low. If they were the company would go out of business anyway if paying an extra dollar an hour would bankrupt them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2014, 08:58 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,491,134 times
Quote:
Who would whine making 90k a year? LOL
Look at the OP. I'm not joking. He has a great job.

Quote:
Also, what do you consider working? Is posting on here working? Do you do nothing, but work non-stop during those 50 hours a week? A cashier supervisor for example works the entire shift non stop.(except for upaid lunch break and a 15 minute break) Same with someone working at ups. How many minutes/hours a day do you spend doing something that is not direct work? You lack compassion for other people's circumastances with statements like these. Very selfish point of view in my opinion.
You're right, I don't consider this working. But when I have to be in at 4a and leave at 6p with no lunch. I could take a small break. I agree that "salaried" employees, as you state above and below in the example, do deserve to be protected. This is where the fine line of what a "white collar" employee is.

Quote:
This is not a personal attack, but simply giving my opinion of your point of view. This law was not really for "white collar high end fairfield county types", but people who are salaried like low level managers at retail shops ect. It protects them from being stiffed.

Old 03-12-2014, 09:02 AM

2,122 posts, read 2,422,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
That's why people are willing to work for 2 dollars an hour if there weren't laws protecting them. You have a small world point of view. The government is there to protect people from abuses. That's why a 40 hour work week exists so we don't end up like China with sweat shops.

You're buying into fear tactics used by the ownership class about losing jobs due to them paying you an extra dollar an hour.(minimum wage fight) Trust me, profit margins are not that low. If they were the company would go out of business anyway if paying an extra dollar an hour would bankrupt them.
Hey man, your entitled to your opinion and clearly we are too far apart to ever agree. Since this thread is not about minimum wage, lets not go there.

Take some history classes if you really believe governments exist for your protection. again another topic...

Like I said, if this happens I won't fight it as its not a bad thing to me, I just wish that companies would take responsibility on their own so government wouldn't have to do this crap. The private sector is letting us down and the government is gaining more power--neither are good to me or IMO the country.

Old 03-12-2014, 09:02 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,491,134 times
Quote:
That's why people are willing to work for 2 dollars an hour if there weren't laws protecting them. The government is there to protect people from abuses. That's why a 40 hour work week exists so we don't end up like China with sweat shops.

Don't forget..that with each additional dollar per employee (no matter straight of OT) the employer has to pay SS Tax. Medicare Tax, disability etc. which is PAID by the employer. This is on a % basis and then times that by number of employees. It begins to add up quick.

BTW, I am all for people making fair wages.

Back to the topic...
If you really want to "get" the OT you are due. There is a legal way to due so.

Old 03-12-2014, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post

You're right, I don't consider this working. But when I have to be in at 4a and leave at 6p with no lunch. I could take a small break. I agree that "salaried" employees, as you state above and below in the example, do deserve to be protected. This is where the fine line of what a "white collar" employee is.
You should take a break. That's crazy hours.

I'm not saying people should even have to work non stop like that. I'm just telling that that's the way it is. I'm just pointing out his hypocrisy.

Old 03-12-2014, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
Don't forget..that with each additional dollar per employee (no matter straight of OT) the employer has to pay SS Tax. Medicare Tax, disability etc. which is PAID by the employer. This is on a % basis and then times that by number of employees. It begins to add up quick.

BTW, I am all for people making fair wages.
Go on bizbuysell.com and see what some of those small business companies earnings are. 2 million liquid required to start a mcdonalds franchise.(how the hell does it cost that much!?? lol..ownership class) Small business at most of these retail companies are mostly run by millionaires. Any descent car dealer is a multimillionaire. If you own a few successful gas stations, you're taking in over a million easy. All the while paying the employees like dogs. Now why doesn't joe blow just start/buy his own business? Look at the cost! That's difficulty of market entry. Need money to make money. Ownership class. Obviously a business owner deserves a profit for risk of investment, but it's just out of wack how large the gap is.

Also, when you make a law across the board, it also effects their competition as well. Raising prices for some of the junk at walmart by minuscule amounts would mean no cut into walmart profits(billions)

Old 03-12-2014, 09:17 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,865,844 times
I would think that any "ramifications" of this proposal would impact every state equally. So, i'm not sure that this is the right forum to post this.

Old 03-12-2014, 09:56 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,953,214 times
I really hope that the final definition of "white collar worker" includes staff level employees like me, who currently make a salary of $75K. However, I will receive a target 20% bonus next year, with the raise, so next year I will rake in about $93K for working just 39 hours per week with 5 weeks of vacation and free unlimited healthcare, because my company pays the entire deductible for all of its employees each year.

However, the new law wouldn't affect me, since we rarely ever work overtime here anyway. But I've been in this situation before, when I worked in NYC sometimes 70+ hours a week, it was brutal and barbaric, while partners at the top worked like 30 hours per week and made millions. It's just WAY out of balance, I'm sorry.

If anything, it will force companies to achieve a 40 hour work week for all of its employees, so that people can have a better quality of life AND the company won't have to pay out any overtime dollars.

In my opinion, life is not about making money, primarily. Personally, I want to live a life that prioritizes health, happiness and beauty. ********** capitalism working ultra hard crap. Hard work means health decline. Sadly, many people don't see this.

Old 03-12-2014, 10:18 AM

2,122 posts, read 2,422,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I really hope that the final definition of "white collar worker" includes staff level employees like me, who currently make a salary of $75K. However, I will receive a target 20% bonus next year, with the raise, so next year I will rake in about $93K for working just 39 hours per week with 5 weeks of vacation and free unlimited healthcare, because my company pays the entire deductible for all of its employees each year.

However, the new law wouldn't affect me, since we rarely ever work overtime here anyway. But I've been in this situation before, when I worked in NYC sometimes 70+ hours a week, it was brutal and barbaric, while partners at the top worked like 30 hours per week and made millions. It's just WAY out of balance, I'm sorry.

If anything, it will force companies to achieve a 40 hour work week for all of its employees, so that people can have a better quality of life AND the company won't have to pay out any overtime dollars.

In my opinion, life is not about making money, primarily. Personally, I want to live a life that prioritizes health, happiness and beauty. ********** capitalism working ultra hard crap. Hard work means health decline. Sadly, many people don't see this.
I hear China and North Korea are nice this time of year. Cuba, come on, the Soviets were lining up in droves to join the navy just for the chance of being stationed there. They are good comrade. Perhaps Cuba is the best balance. Good luck finding a job at all though. If you don't think the back breaking work of being in a sugar cane field 15 hours a day is as bad as your barbaric office job it will be a match made in heaven. Even if it is though, look on the bright side, you will only make 100 bucks a week and wont have enough money to distract you from focusing on your health and happiness.

Old 03-12-2014, 10:27 AM

468 posts, read 708,943 times
Quote:
Go on bizbuysell.com and see what some of those small business companies earnings are. 2 million liquid required to start a mcdonalds franchise.(how the hell does it cost that much!?? lol..ownership class) Small business at most of these retail companies are mostly run by millionaires. Any descent car dealer is a multimillionaire. If you own a few successful gas stations, you're taking in over a million easy. All the while paying the employees like dogs. Now why doesn't joe blow just start/buy his own business? Look at the cost! That's difficulty of market entry. Need money to make money. Ownership class. Obviously a business owner deserves a profit for risk of investment, but it's just out of wack how large the gap is.

Also, when you make a law across the board, it also effects their competition as well. Raising prices for some of the junk at walmart by minuscule amounts would mean no cut into walmart profits(billions)
What are you even talking about? Gas stations usually cost a couple of hundred thousand dollars which people typically finance and their cash flow is very low. Not sure how anyone with a few successful gas stations is raking in the dough. You can buy a Subway for like $200k.

I know car dealers, few are millionaires until they've been in business for years and have multiple locations. I have clients who have bought car dealerships and yes, they're expensive but the transactions are financed so there's no need to have millions onhand.

There's plenty to criticize about this proposal without having to resort to misinformation about small businesses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies