Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 03:08 PM

2 posts, read 1,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
This doesn't relate to a job paying $90k..pretty sure you can live on that. Sorry NEP, looks like that $90k a year job is going to keep paying $90K. SMH

And if I'm wrong, bye bye economy.

I work 50+hours a week and don't whine, plus I volunteer on a farm on Saturdays. Want more money, work harder. I hate this attitude of "I'm owed." You make your own destiny.

Seems reading is a pretty high hurdle for some folks. Let me help you out.

Quote:
For example, a convenience store manager or a fast food shift supervisor or an
office worker may be expected to work 50 or 60 hours a week or more, making
barely enough to keep a family out of poverty, and not receive a dime of
overtime pay. It’s even possible that some of these workers make less than the
minimum wage per hour.”
Read more: [url=http://www.politico.com/story/2014/03/barack-obama-minimum-wage-overtime-pay-expansion-104568.html#ixzz2vsYyBjE1]Obama plans expansion of overtime eligibility - Reid J. Epstein - POLITICO.com[/url]

If an indivisual is working 50 or 60 hours a week, just how many more hours or additional jobs would you suggest they take on??

The rate of pay for some of these salaried folks is so low if broken down by hour, that they live below the poverty line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2014, 03:24 PM

6,193 posts, read 5,369,433 times
I get to work 30 minutes early every day and work till time to punch the clock, then punch in. I get 15 minute break, punch the clock, and keep working. Then a 30 minute lunch break, punch the clock keep working. Take my second off the clock break but keep working.

They get free overtime daily and I get 40 hours pay. If I go beyond 40, I get bitched at then sent home early to prevent OT. The workload in this position is nerve wracking. But I'm close to retirement, unless they lay me off when I'm on the approach to it......like they've done to many hard working people. And the goof off's get away with ______________ (fill in the blank).

Old 03-13-2014, 03:50 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderBolt1960 View Post

If an indivisual is working 50 or 60 hours a week, just how many more hours or additional jobs would you suggest they take on??

The rate of pay for some of these salaried folks is so low if broken down by hour, that they live below the poverty line.
Stop believing what is being spoon fed to you as propaganda to push a political issue.

Food Service Managers : Occupational Outlook Handbook : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

Old 03-13-2014, 05:48 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
gee whiz, management being expected to work more than 40 hours per week, how unusual. sorry but i have been there. as a manager i put in 80 hours per week, sometimes more, to get the job done. its called responsibility.

Old 03-13-2014, 05:58 PM

709 posts, read 656,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
gee whiz, management being expected to work more than 40 hours per week, how unusual. sorry but i have been there. as a manager i put in 80 hours per week, sometimes more, to get the job done. its called responsibility.
Yeah, we don't have that in America anymore. Everything is always somebody else's fault.

Old 03-13-2014, 06:02 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
LOL. My sister worked at Mcdonalds when she was younger. They offered her a management job-repeatedly. She turned it down. Managers averaged 60 hr weeks, and got paid so low that they made LESS per hour then the people they supervised.

Thats not responsibility, thats finding a way to get someone to work like a dog for cheap. Its taking advantage of the exempt classification.

Old 03-13-2014, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Stop believing what is being spoon fed to you as propaganda to push a political issue.

Food Service Managers : Occupational Outlook Handbook : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
Don't confuse restaurant manager with the McDonald's managers. Thats the Median, not the average. I assure you, mcdonalds managers are below the median. Regional managers are probably above, but I dont know.

Old 03-13-2014, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Don't confuse restaurant manager with the McDonald's managers. Thats the Median, not the average. I assure you, mcdonalds managers are below the median. Regional managers are probably above, but I dont know.
Well maybe you better contact the BLS because they group them together as one job title.

From my link to the BLS:

Food service managers work in restaurants, hotels, school cafeterias, and other establishments where food is prepared and served. Managers at fine-dining and fast-food restaurants often work longer hours—50 or more per week. The work can be hectic, and dealing with unhappy customers can be stressful.

Old 03-13-2014, 06:10 PM

You do understand the term median right? While the BLS does include them, they're the below median folks. Im not saying the BLS doesnt, im saying people reading that number thinking that suddenly mcdonalds is the place to work for a bright future.....might not want to believe that.

Old 03-13-2014, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
You do understand the term median right? While the BLS does include them, they're the below median folks. Im not saying the BLS doesnt, im saying people reading that number thinking that suddenly mcdonalds is the place to work for a bright future.....might not want to believe that.
That is taught in 6th grade.
I'm not debating the median wage here.
But not every manager in FF is making less than FPL which one poster indicated from an article in politico.

In a true normal distribution the mean and median would be the same.
BLS doesn't list the mean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies