Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2014, 10:00 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,261,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Not true.

There is no legitimate reason to oppose the cross that does not involve hatred and intolerance of Christianity.
Strictly an opinion. But the fact that an ego the size of yours confuses personal opinion with facts is not surprising.

Quote:
Not true.This AHA group was offended by the cross and decided to take action, never mind that it was none of their business that a memorial was placed in Lake Elsinore(especially since they are 3,000 miles away in Washington D.C.), and the fact that they were not personally harmed by the cross being present on the highway.

The only motive we are left with then for this liberal organization is intolerance and bigotry.
Strictly your opinion, once again.

I know you try desperately to convince people on this forum that you're some principled, intelligent, adorably eccentric genius, but seriously, your invariable posting habits -- inserting "liberal bigot" into every single piece of completely unrelated news you read -- and unbridled ego -- posting opinion as fact, every time -- give the game away.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:01 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,694,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
I see, so the government is funding with taxpayer money to preserve religious memorial symbols. The nerve of them!
Logical, based on liberal arguments. Funny, too.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Strictly an opinion. But the fact that an ego the size of yours confuses personal opinion with facts is not surprising.

Strictly your opinion, once again.

I know you try desperately to convince people on this forum that you're some principled, intelligent, adorably eccentric genius, but seriously, your invariable posting habits -- inserting "liberal bigot" into every single piece of completely unrelated news you read -- and unbridled ego -- posting opinion as fact, every time -- give the game away.
Forums are full of opinions. Deal with it. Tolerate it.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:09 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,661,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
What about the Normany American cemetery? Plenty of religious symbols there, and if the government has nothing to do with it, why was the cemetery closed during last year's government shutdown?

Normandy American Cemetery and Memorial - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
That's different than a memorial. It is a military cemetery. All military cemeteries have the religion of the individual who lies there, either as a marker or inscribed on the headstone, regardless of Christian, Jew or Muslim.

You seem to have difficulties distinguishing between a Memorial and a grave site.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:16 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,661,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
The Government cannot endorse one religion while excluding others. This is the act of individuals putting something on private land, not the government. If a Hindu, or Muslim or Jew wants to put a roadside monument up like Christians do, they should have the right to do that as well.

This isn't about the Government endorsing religion, its about Humanists/Atheists who want to rid the world of religion by sticking their nose into matters happening thousands of miles away, much like they did with the Oklahoma courthouse controversy.
Ah yes the ten commandments in a courthouse.

So If I'm a Buddhist and when I walk into the courthouse looking for justice, the first thing I see is Commandment #1. "I am the Lord thy God, thou shalt have NO OTHER GODS before me!"
Sure would make me feel equal in the eyes of the law.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
That's different than a memorial. It is a military cemetery. All military cemeteries have the religion of the individual who lies there, either as a marker or inscribed on the headstone, regardless of Christian, Jew or Muslim.

You seem to have difficulties distinguishing between a Memorial and a grave site.
I think the post was tongue-in-cheek.

Old 03-13-2014, 11:43 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,261,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Forums are full of opinions. Deal with it. Tolerate it.
Of course. But the poster's opinions are not facts, as dearly as he wishes they were and as vigorously as he states that they are.

Old 03-13-2014, 11:58 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,497,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
What the Constitution means is not an issues for you or me to decide. What the Constitution means is whatever the Supreme Court said the last time they ruled on any particular Constitutional issue. Their rulings make up the case law that supports any particular reading of a Constitutional issue.

According to many decades of Supreme Court rulings over the 1st Amendment, you are wrong. The cross represents Christianity. The tacit agreement of the government by allowing it to remain on public land is (according to the Supreme Court) interpreted as the government supporting the Christian religion over other religions. You may not like that interpretation, but that IS what the law of the land is. You may, of course, petition the government for a redress of grievances, and ask the Congress to begin the process of creating a Constitutional Amendment that would make your point of view overturn the Supreme Court interpretations. I'll be watching the news to see how that works out.
If the community forced a non Christian family to take down their memorial you could make that argument.

But as far as we know it is just a harmless memorial honoring the death of a human being...
I don't understand the big deal, it is a memorial and if it bothers people so much o recommend to St driving by it or to just look away for the split second you go pass it.

Old 03-13-2014, 12:02 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,584,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
If the community forced a non Christian family to take down their memorial you could make that argument.

But as far as we know it is just a harmless memorial honoring the death of a human being...
I don't understand the big deal, it is a memorial and if it bothers people so much o recommend to St driving by it or to just look away for the split second you go pass it.
Exactly. There are memorials that are just flowers and they're allowed to stay.

Old 03-13-2014, 04:20 PM

468 posts, read 826,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Personally, not a fan of these road side memorials marking the accident scene where someone died.....I find it macabre and tacky.

These little memorials usually turn into a shabby pile of old, deteriorating decorations and become eyesores.

I guess I am just used to the days when people didn't advertise their grief.

It seems like people nowadays just like to wallow in their grief and spread it around for all to see......for what? to garner pity? "Look at me! Look at me! I am sad.....someone I loved died.....and I want everyone to know it and never forget it!"

Really? Like you are the only one who has ever lost a loved one?

You want to set up a public shrine for your loved one? There is a place for that.....it is called a cemetery.

Couldn't have said it any better.

Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies