Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 11:21 AM

84 posts, read 105,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
What's offensive is the damage that has been done to the Black American population by low expectations enabling Democrat-sponsored social welfare programs over the past 50 years. Truth-telling isn't offensive; it merely identifies where the blame should be placed.
What's offensive to me (as someone who has spent the last 14 years working in county government, working with the population you are referencing) is the assumption that the higher percentage of black welfare recipients (nation-wide, white Americans receive the largest percentage of benefits, for many reasons, but chief among them being that white Americans still make up the majority of the population) are receiving welfare benefits because they are lazy and unmotivated, or because a certain political party has "enabled" them. The most sweeping welfare reform to have ever occured was during the Clinton administration, and we are still feeling the ripple effects of that today. Clinton's reform set a time limit on receiving cash-based assistance, with the stipulation that those receiving it needed to be working or engaged in work related activities (job seeking, education, etc). The welfare rolls shrank by more than 50% since the Welfare Reform Act was signed into law in 1996, and it has NEVER, even now as we are "recovering" from a horrible recession, gotten anywhere close to what it was pre-1996. Idiots who don't work in the welfare office, and who believe anything they read or any vapid "fact" issued from the mouth of whatever politician with an agenda feels like conflating, don't realize that welfare recipients are ALREADY REQUIRED TO BE WORKING or to be working with a job counselor and demonstrating on a monthly basis what is being done in order to obtain a job. They don't realize that there is already a lifetime 36 to 60 month (depending on what state you live in) cap placed on those receiving cash assistance, that people who get pregnant and have additional children AFTER signing up for welfare cannot get additional cash assistance for those children, that it is hard as HELL to jump through all of the administrative hoops we have in place -- far less attempt to navigate this sytem with indifferent and often downright hostile welfare workers who behave as if they are pulling money from their own pockets. That people can and do get their benefits terminated because of the enormous piles of red tape that often confuse us, those who administer these programs.

What offends me is your assumption that there is nothing else at play in terms of why black Americans do not have the same level of income or education as their white or "model minority" (hate that racist effing term, too) counterparts. Things like, decades upon decades of institutional racism. Twenty years ago, much of it was blatant and obvious. Today, bigots hide behind purty words and talk about how they want to raise the black man UP rather than belittle him with welfare benefits designed to keep him DOWN. They talk a great game. They just never do anything to address the insidiousness of what's behind their assumptions: That blacks and other minorities are inferior to them. This is implicit in their very assumptions that black people are on welfare because they are lazy. And it means, while they are in power .... there never will be any real opportunities for equality.

What offends me is that the administrators of this message board will allow clearly racist posts to sit, unchecked and unchallenged.

What saddens me is that I know, the objects of these displays of bigotry are so accustomed to them, it's hardly more than an eye-roll and moving on. It shouldn't have to be this way.

Old 03-13-2014, 11:26 AM

1,404 posts, read 1,031,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Reparations is a steal compared to the huge parade of civil rights driven affirmative action programs all attempting to make it right
But after we cut the check white paternalism needs to end
THAT ^^^ IS THE ONLY THING WHICH NEEDS TO BE SAID

I'm 6th generation American, and my ancestors were slaves in Russia (white on white slavery, I'm Slav on my fathers side). My maternal Great Grandmother was Mexican, and my Great Great Grandfather was black. I am the typical American, and though my white dominates, I feel zero guilt for things that happened 160+ years ago.

596,670 Northerners died or were wounded to free the slaves. I think that's a fine payment in blood.

Old 03-13-2014, 11:30 AM

88,930 posts, read 44,757,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracijo1967 View Post
What's offensive to me (as someone who has spent the last 14 years working in county government, working with the population you are referencing) is the assumption that the higher percentage of black welfare recipients (nation-wide, white Americans receive the largest percentage of benefits, for many reasons, but chief among them being that white Americans still make up the majority of the population) are receiving welfare benefits because they are lazy and unmotivated, or because a certain political party has "enabled" them.
Then explain the following unwed birth rates, and why they're so different for various races:

Percentage of births to unwed mothers

Sources: U.S. Census Bureau, National Center for Health Statistics, 2011

Also factor in the following statistics on how such children fare:
Statistics | The Fatherless Generation

Old 03-13-2014, 11:31 AM

2,028 posts, read 1,887,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
You can lead a horse to water, but you cannot make him drink. I don't know why the steps aren't being followed; all I know is that there is a mountain of evidence, both in history (as you've pointed out) and in the contemporary world, that shows that following them will generally lead to economic success.
I'll tell you why:

The number 1 factor in whether a child is in poverty, has low education, or goes to jail is whether or not he or she has a father around. If you reward kicking the man out, you get the chaos we have now.

The stats don't lie, only 8% of married AA's are in poverty, yet the single mother poverty rate is atrocious. No other reasons, including racism create such a stark contrast. If racism was a factor, the gap between white married and black married poverty rates would be more than 3%.

Solutions:

1. Stop penalizing fatherhood:
- Making him an every other weekend visitor
- Sending him to jail if he can't afford to support his kids, yet subsidizing the mother if she can't support her kids.
- Automatic female custody and lack of offering 50/50 custody as a default.
2. Remove welfare and create workfare jobs instead for any able-bodied poor person, kids in the house or not.
3. Stop offshoring manufacturing jobs, which are easy tickets to the middle class.
4. Stop the drug war or at least erase people's records after they have "paid their debt" so they can obtain employment and support their families.

Even during Jim Crow, the black family was intact, crime was lower, out of wedlock births were lower, and only poverty was higher due to oppression. It was post-Jim Crow policies that brought us where we are now.

Old 03-13-2014, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by InformedConsent
What's offensive is the damage that has been done to the Black American population by low expectations enabling Democrat-sponsored social welfare programs over the past 50 years. Truth-telling isn't offensive; it merely identifies where the blame should be placed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracijo1967 View Post
What offends me is that the administrators of this message board will allow clearly racist posts to sit, unchecked and unchallenged.

What saddens me is that I know, the objects of these displays of bigotry are so accustomed to them, it's hardly more than an eye-roll and moving on. It shouldn't have to be this way.
I agree with InformedConsent on this one. There's nothing racist or bigoted about his statements. The way single mothers are paid more per baby is ridiculous. Regardless of color, In their present forms, programs have harmed the poor more than helped. This is why the poor are worse off now than they were in 1967 when begun.

Old 03-13-2014, 11:33 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,577,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
America is the promise of a certain standard of living for all citizens.
...a fundamental misunderstanding of your country and exhibit a for much of what's wrong these days.

Old 03-13-2014, 11:34 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,978,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfman View Post

I'm 6th generation American, and my ancestors were slaves in Russia (white on white slavery, I'm Slav on my fathers side). My maternal Great Grandmother was Mexican, and my Great Great Grandfather was black. I am the typical American, and though my white dominates, I feel zero guilt for things that happened 160+ years ago.

596,670 Northerners died or were wounded to free the slaves. I think that's a fine payment in blood.

That's the thing, my ancestors came from Germany, Poland and Czecoslovakia. My grandparents were born here, but it was after the Civil War. They did not own slaves nor do I have any descendants that own slaves. I had nothing to do with slavery. We cannot undo the sins of this nation's past, as with any other nation in the world, all of which have their own not so good moments in history. Nor can we blame those in the here and now! The best we can do is learn from history, so we don't repeat it, and move on!

Old 03-13-2014, 11:38 AM

Quote:
They're racist. Far more than White people are. Look at the percentage of Blacks who voted for Obama, and the percentage of Whites who voted McCain in 2008 and Romney in 2012.
If they're racist, why do they overwhelmingly vote for Democrats in these scenarios?

1. When no African-American is on the ballot.
2. In Congressional races where the Democrat is white and the Republican is African-American.

According to your logic, in example #2 shouldn't they be racist and vote for the black Republican?

Quote:
Again... many Democrat voters make the mistake of not realizing exactly whose side Democrats are really on.
I agree, but you're still wrong on THIS topic. (why African-American voters vote Democrat and reject Republicans)

Quote:
Obama's Big Sellout: The president has packed his economic team with Wall Street insiders intent on turning the bailout into an all-out giveaway
https://www.commondreams.org/headline/2009/12/13-8

Don't listen to what Democrats say; lip service is cheap. Watch who they overwhelmingly benefit. 7 of the 10 richest members of Congress are Democrats.
You're making the mistake of assuming that the Republicans are NOT for these people, when actually both parties are big sellouts, which is another reason why I don't vote for either.

I like how you only bring up new points and ignore other my points in previous posts. I guess it's easier to ignore than to admit you were wrong.

Last edited by Freedom123; 03-13-2014 at 11:54 AM..

Old 03-13-2014, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by surfman

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
That's the thing, my ancestors came from Germany, Poland and Czecoslovakia. My grandparents were born here, but it was after the Civil War. They did not own slaves nor do I have any descendants that own slaves. I had nothing to do with slavery. We cannot undo the sins of this nation's past, as with any other nation in the world, all of which have their own not so good moments in history. Nor can we blame those in the here and now! The best we can do is learn from history, so we don't repeat it, and move on!
Exactly right! This thing about getting paid back for things that happened in the distant past is getting too extreme. We've bred two generations who believe that being cared for is a right, while they give up freedom, liberty, and pursuit of happiness, which are the true rights. They are sheep being sold a bridge to nowhere by extreme ideologues.

Old 03-13-2014, 11:45 AM

Quote:
The Democrats espouse and endorse policies to pay them to not follow the steps. Remove the government-sponsored financial incentives for only living up to low expectations.
Your failure is assuming it's only Democrats who do this. Not having a father in the household is a policy embraced by both sides, and lack of a father is the greatest indicator of poverty.

Yes, liberals started it with the Great Society, but Republicans and Democrats continued it state laws creating fault divorce, judges giving automatic female custody, lack of 50/50 custody, and sending men to jail when they can't support their kids instead of subsidizing them like they do for women.

Even in super conservative Texas, there is no option for 50/50 custody unless parents are able to agree outside of the court system. Men are required to use the Attorney General's visitation schedule.

It's an unholy alliance between social conservatives and liberal feminists.

I know it's easy to belive your team is all good and the other team is all bad, but it's really NOT that clear cut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.