Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 03:58 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,419,467 times

Advertisements

Considering the biggest beneficiaries of affirmative action are white women I feel like this whole thread is kind of a waste.

Who are the Intended Beneficiaries of Affirmative Action? [NC State University Affirmative Action in Employment Training]

Old 03-12-2014, 04:06 PM

3,175 posts, read 3,656,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
That's irrelevant. America is the promise of a certain standard of living for all citizens. And a certain group of citizens has been unfairly disadvantaged by another group of citizens, and it's degrading the quality of life for ALL citizens.
Give your money to the blacks, the indians, the families of yankee soldiers, anybody you want. I can't though because I'm broke.

Old 03-12-2014, 04:11 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
Quote:
I'm white and I support affirmative action laws and reparations for black people.

Think about it. During the era of slavery, the white man received massive economic gains using economic labor production value from black people. After the abolishment of slavery, black people were already off to an extremely disadvantaged, unfair start on living a "free" life. They were constantly hampered down by segregationist laws, 3/5 voting, employment discrimination, etc. How on earth can white people expect black people to have the same standard of living as white people nowadays and STILL point the finger at black people? It is the white man's fault.

I now view slavery as "reverse" affirmative action. Therefore, affirmative action is justified. But it's not enough. I would go as far to say that black Americans should be exempt from ALL income and payroll taxes, if their gross income is below a certain threshold. I mean, it's no wonder why the black community is poorer, less educated and more crime ridden than the white community.

It's like having a marathon with someone and you get a head start, and later on expect the other person to be running right next to you. You can't expect a certain group of people to magically come up with new businesses, innovations, etc, and take advantage of the capitalist system on their own in order to get ahead. That's unrealistic.

And why can't white people realize that we could have safer inner cities, less crime and become more relatable to the black community if we simply made conditions much easier for them to get ahead and become on par with the white community?

It's not the black community's fault. This nonsense has been going on for 200 years now and needs to stop. You can't just sit there and blame it on the black community for "refusing to change their ways" or whatever. The reason why many of them are a certain way is because of the severe disadvantage they have had for generations upon generations, in this nation.

Geez.
Find a live slave from back in the day and I will pay him/her reparations.
And you want to give blacks a hand. They need to give themselves a hand. When they regularly wreck their own neighborhood, I have nothing but contempt. Blacks have the same opportunities as whites. Problem is, they got so used to hand outs and having other things given to them simply because they are black breeds contempt for the system and now they feel entitled because they are black.

Old 03-12-2014, 04:12 PM

Quote:
That's irrelevant. America is the promise of a certain standard of living for all citizens. And a certain group of citizens has been unfairly disadvantaged by another group of citizens, and it's degrading the quality of life for ALL citizens.
Arrant nonsense.

Old 03-12-2014, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Then how the hell do you expect blacks to become on the same par as the white community, in regard to standard of living? What's YOUR solution?
Afford them the same opportunities as other races.

Old 03-12-2014, 04:16 PM

Quote:
So basically, most people in this thread think that things are fine the way they are. And that it's the natural state of our economy to have blacks be so far behind in terms of standard of living. Act like slavery had nothing to do with why racial inequality is the way it is today.

How stupid can conservatives be? -_-

They're so damn obsessed with people "leeching" off society and getting handouts and stuff. They support social Darwinism, survival of the fittest, which is just plain wrong in a modern society. Thank god I switched from voting Republican to voting Democrat from now on. And I can't wait for the Democrats to retain a majority in the Senate in the midterm elections later this year.
So you want to coddle blacks and apologize ad infinitum. Give them money to assuage your guilt?

Last edited by Ibginnie; 03-12-2014 at 04:50 PM.. Reason: personal attack

Old 03-12-2014, 04:54 PM

2,821 posts, read 2,112,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Afford them the same opportunities as other races.
Still requires hard work, as I have mentioned in this thread and in other threads. In this particular thread, a poster replied and stated that working harder was not a solution.

Thousands upon thousands of non English speaking immigrants come to these shores and struggle to become very successful.

Old 03-12-2014, 04:59 PM

878 posts, read 737,715 times
Quote:
Then how the hell do you expect blacks to become on the same par as the white community,
They never will.

Old 03-12-2014, 05:03 PM

89,026 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
America is the promise of a certain standard of living for all citizens.
Promise? No. America is the POSSIBILITY of a certain standard of living for all citizens. But you have to WORK to EARN it.

Old 03-12-2014, 05:20 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,262,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
I have a direct line ancestor that was a Union soldier who died in the Cival war. I think I should get something too!
My great grandparents on my Mothers side owned slaves and they were freed by the government. They would have been my inheritance. Do I get something?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies