Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 09:39 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
The boy is guilty of poor judgment. He didn't deserve to be killed for it.
The whole deal appears to be poor judgment.
The girl and the boy created the circumstances and dad responded impulsively.

It's reasonable to assume the girl and the boy saw the dad's gun. Despite this, she chose to lie. Dad claims the boy moved when he told him not to move and then the dad reacted to the situation.

Old 03-15-2014, 09:46 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
No parents have no clue when a stranger is in the house? All kids bring a stranger for a humpfest at 2 am?
There are house rules that get bent, some get broken, but bringing a stranger into the home at 2 am is like comparing rolling a stop sign to a car jacking by house rules standards.
As I said, I knew plenty of kids who did this back when I was in high school, a long, long time ago.
Parents were clueless.

Then there was the " I am sleeping over at so and so's house" scam....

This does not mean all kids engage in this, but more than most parents care to believe.

Old 03-15-2014, 09:53 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
As I said, I knew plenty of kids who did this back when I was in high school, a long, long time ago.
Parents were clueless.

This does not mean all kids engage in this, but more than most parents care to believe.
Not mine nor did I do these things. My kids never knew if I would call the other kids parents. I live in a small town. The best and worst thing about small towns is that everyone knows everyone. Here parents still talk to each other. My son wants to sleep over, the other kids parents and I would talk. Same in return. Especially true with my daughter.
Kids are our greatest treasure, or at least should be. Do you allow random people access to your checkbook, wallet or car keys? I don't. Why would I treat my treasure less than those items?
The so and so scam never would have worked in my parents house. LOL My parents always called to verify it was okay with my friend's parents. Their parents did the same. I did this with my kids. Imagine if I lied and my dad saw my friends dad a few days later and asked if I behaved on the sleepover only to learn I never slept over?????? My god, the punishment would have made the great flood look like a normal event.LOL
I think much depends upon the household. I knew a certain level of dishonesty was happening. The kids also knew that to violate house rules had consequences, depending on the rule the consequences made it to risky.
I think today parents try to be best buddies with their kids, instead of being the parent. Rules become optional.

Old 03-15-2014, 09:55 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I was responding to the post that said - "All kids follow all house rules - all the time".

IF you have parented a teen-ager - you know that statistics are NOT on your side for this one.

Just ask Sarah Palin.

I raised a successful teenager; currently in college and on a sports team . . . but even I do NOT pretend that I knew his whereabouts at every single second.

Anyone who does ~ is either lying OR delusional.
Not every single second obviously -- but parents should set some rules like curfews.

My kids are not out at 2:30 in the morning at age 17. I definitely know that. If they aren't home and my kids for some reason preferred to be home and have friends stay here, I knew where they were. Trust but verify is my motto.

Once when my son was 16 and I gave him a midnight curfew for one evening, he wasn't home at midnight. I got a call from the cops at 1 am because they had him, it turned out the city curfew for kids 16 and under was 11 pm. I told the cops that I liked their curfew better and was glad they were enforcing it.

There really isn't a good excuse for parent's to have no idea where their minor age children are. If the boy told his parents he was somewhere else, then he was as much of a liar as the girl who claimed she didn't know who he was after she had apparently invited him in for a night of sex in her parents' home.

Old 03-15-2014, 09:56 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Parents were clueless.

Well I didn't -- and I wasn't "blessed" with clueless or cool parents. No way would I have lied if I said I was staying at a particular friend's house and the parents had given permission. My parents were definitely not afraid to pick up a phone and check it out. I try to be like them.

Old 03-15-2014, 09:59 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,506,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
If the daughter invited the boy, he is not guilty of any crime even though she's not the property owner. She's a representative of the owner legally. Like I said, the boy is guilty of very poor judgment but didn't deserve to be killed. With that being said, I don't fault the dad, I fault the girl. She needs to be prosecuted, not the dad.
The dad claims the teen 'reached for something,' so he shot. No way to disprove that claim, so dad gets away with murder.

I can't think of any crime to prosecute against the girl. Seems that the girl and her did inadvertently found a pretty good way to kill just about anyone who's unknown to a family member, especially teen guys.

Old 03-15-2014, 10:01 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,751,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
When the parents of the deceased boys lawyers get finished with them, they'll be living on the streets. That's after the old man serves time in prison.
Quote:
Stupid people raise stupid kids. Or stupid kids have stupid parents, take your
pick
You are talking about the kid who got shot, right?

Old 03-15-2014, 10:11 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
You are talking about the kid who got shot, right?
That was 1 stupid boy that is for sure.

Old 03-15-2014, 10:36 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,459,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
The dad claims the teen 'reached for something,' so he shot. No way to disprove that claim, so dad gets away with murder.

I can't think of any crime to prosecute against the girl. Seems that the girl and her did inadvertently found a pretty good way to kill just about anyone who's unknown to a family member, especially teen guys.
See the link I posted. Manslaughter or at least criminally negligent homicide. In TX (the state where this occurred), a woman was convicted of manslaughter after her husband killed her lover after he caught her in bed with him and she cried rape.

Old 03-15-2014, 03:04 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,319,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Well no kidding, but the father didn't know that at the time! Duh....

But his daughter knew or otherwise she would have screamed when he came through the window, that is the first thing that should have gave him a clue that she was lying in the first place.

Well it's a good thing the system doesn't work that way. You don't get to just decide what parts you want to believe and what parts you don't want to believe based on nothing but your own pre concieved notions.
Do you see how "big" the kid was? he could have easily beat him down with very little effort, unless he was a coward behind a gun and wanted to make sure that he did go to jail. That was the most available "excuse" for him shooting that kid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies