Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2014, 06:01 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,358,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
You must have missed the free cellphone truck.
Probably since #1 I make a 6 figure income, #2 they dont give out my favorite phone I imagine, and #3 I dont think that got Reagen a ton of votes (it was passed in his administration)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2014, 06:27 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
IMF is also the ones who insist on austerity when a nation spends to much they can't pay their bills like US ;if Op wants to go that route.Deep cuts to public spending is the key word.

Old 03-17-2014, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
IMF is also the ones who insist on austerity when a nation spends to much they can't pay their bills like US ;if Op wants to go that route.Deep cuts to public spending is the key word.
The IMF has also admitted that that was a mistake, because they did not put enough weight on the multiplicative effects of spending.

As a result they were wrong about austerity being the solution, when rather better taxation, and stimulative spending would have been better.

Deep cuts to public spending to deal with taxation shortfalls during a recession are exactly the wrong thing to do, however the IMF advised that, got it, and now Greece is held up as a example of failure. Failure of such magnitude that even the IMF has admitted to being wrong.

Old 03-17-2014, 07:24 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Good lord. Cato? Really? Thats your thoughtful response? And reading it...they dance around, cherry pick some facts, (I especially love the "recent egypt" numbers, and adjusted gini numbers-aka solt gini. nice!). But notice something...they dont actually re-run the comparison using the adjusted solt gini numbers. Nor do they really bring up anything that contradicts the study, they just mumble some points...and run away.

One thing I do agree with them on, sudden massive changes can be disruptive and bad. Shrug, imagine that.
good lord cato=ad hominem fallacy. Again it is naïve to accept a paper on the first day it is released. If you don't like this critique, why not wait for the thousand or so that will follow before you render your judgement?

Old 03-17-2014, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
good lord cato=ad hominem fallacy. Again it is naïve to accept a paper on the first day it is released. If you don't like this critique, why not wait for the thousand or so that will follow before you render your judgement?
Cato is a political based hack site. Their history of distorting data makes it FAR from being a ad hominem fallacy. Even if I went after the author-Id go after things relevant to his believability, not a ad hominem.

Its naive to accept the paper written by what? a dozen Phd's? And you think there will be thousands of critiques? Heres a FAR more likely scenario-Cato's response will be used as the basis for the vast majority of critiques.

And the author? He is hardly a great economist. Read this:
No Housing Bubble Trouble | Cato Institute

Oh and look...also from Cato.

Old 03-17-2014, 08:18 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
And the author? He is hardly a great economist. Read this:
No Housing Bubble Trouble | Cato Institute

Oh and look...also from Cato.
This is the same thing Bernanke told us and yet you defend him.

Old 03-17-2014, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
This is the same thing Bernanke told us and yet you defend him.
Really? Show me where I defend Bernanke. Ohhh wait, another excellent example of a ad hominem atttack! This time directly on me. Nice!

Old 03-17-2014, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Really? Show me where I defend Bernanke. Ohhh wait, another excellent example of a ad hominem atttack! This time directly on me. Nice!
Sorry, I did get you confused with EBEGGS.

Old 03-17-2014, 08:30 PM

279 posts, read 183,166 times
I don't understand what is there to discuss, the GI Bill after WWII, one of the largest redistribution programs and covering over 6 million Americans, was an incredible success and resulted in leaps in productivity and growth of our GDP. Case closed. Spend on the youth, send them to schools and the economy will improve over time.

Quote:

Old 03-17-2014, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin2014 View Post
I don't understand what is there to discuss, the GI Bill after WWII, one of the largest redistribution programs and covering over 6 million Americans, was an incredible success and resulted in leaps in productivity and GDP. Case closed. Spend on the youth, send them to schools and the economy will improve over time.
The G.I.'s kind of earned their schooling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies