Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 09:18 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,419,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Too bad. This is what happens when you take a horrific subject like domestic violence, politicize it and attempt to tar and feather all Republicans with the ugly brush. People will fight back because they aren't going to let libs get away with this nonsense anymore.

You don't like it, have a little chat with the OP for demeaning the entire subject with his blatant attempt to make all Republicans look like wife-beaters.
I specifically said not all Republicans are like that. Obviously there are Republicans who support stuff like the violence against women act and are willing to stand up to domestic violence I know several of them. I believe I said as much in this thread. However I am not going to lie and say I think most Republicans put violence against women on the front burner. I mean just in this thread you have a lot of people on the right ignoring and deflecting towards Obama, or black democrats, or myself etc. The fact is their is a complacency about domestic violence held by not all, but certainly many on the right, as evidenced by the politicians in the article and by the fact people don't want to deal with these issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2014, 06:22 AM

59,059 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egbert View Post
Quote:
I specifically said not all Republicans are like that. Obviously there are Republicans who support stuff like the violence against women act and are willing to stand up to domestic violence I know several of them. I believe I said as much in this thread. However I am not going to lie and say I think most Republicans put violence against women on the front burner. I mean just in this thread you have a lot of people on the right ignoring and deflecting towards Obama, or black democrats, or myself etc. The fact is their is a complacency about domestic violence held by not all, but certainly many on the right, as evidenced by the politicians in the article and by the fact people don't want to deal with these issues.
"I specifically said not all Republicans" Really? Your title says GOP lawmaker, then YOU say "these people" You did NOT say "he"

These people refers to the GOP.

Old 03-16-2014, 07:21 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,954,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"I specifically said not all Republicans" Really? Your title says GOP lawmaker, then YOU say "these people" You did NOT say "he"

Yep. It is a troll thread, nothing more.

Old 03-16-2014, 07:51 AM

5,696 posts, read 6,208,233 times
Quote:

well I took it different as in "these people" I took it as "these stupid people who say these stupid things"
but while you and some others have your panties in a bunch how many women, children and yes even pets were beaten, and killed???
this is about how a politician said something demeaning about domestic violence and the longer you and some others try and make excuses they more narrow minded you look
if I lived in his state I would NOT vote for the son of a ***** I personally am sick of statements like this and then people trying to pass the buck rather that face the truth
we all need some better quality lawmakers and that is for both parties!!!
we are so divided no one can hear anyone else it is what's wrong here with ALL of us!!!
this hack is just that a hack
are there other hacks as well you're damned right but we are talking about this one!!!

Old 03-16-2014, 08:00 AM

279 posts, read 183,255 times
You misunderstood his post. The poster is against domestic violence, or any other violence for that matter, but doesn't think creating new federal laws is necessary. We already have laws against domestic violence and let's focus on enforcing existing laws instead of creating new laws.

Quote:
That is probably one of the most pathetic answers I have ever seen. You oppose domestic violence but, you also stridently oppose constitutional legislation to help states fight it. Seriously that is saying domestic violence is bad but I am going to fight hard to make sure nothing is done about it.

Old 03-16-2014, 08:25 AM

279 posts, read 183,255 times
I am a survivor of domestic violence, too. When I was getting divorced my then loving wife, whom I supported throughout the entire marriage, called the cops reporting domestic violence (not factual at all) and I was promptly handcuffed and hauled to jail for the night and then presented with a restraining order prohibiting me from retrieving even the most personal items from my own house. Isn't that great to be a guy in the us of a?

The domestic violence laws Made it so easy for women to accuse men of domestic violence which is understood as physical or verbal abuse. How do I prove I didn't hold my loving wife's hands against her will while verbally abusing her? How do I do it and what do I between my arrest and my court date when I am out of the house without any of my personal belongings or clothes?

The charges didn't stand in court but for two weeks, till my court date, I was effectively kicked out of the house I paid for and my wife effectively took a possession of my house which I couldn't even come close to because she would just report "domestic violence" again and again, even after the original charges were dropped for the lack of evidence. She kicked me out of my own house and "domestic violence arrest" will always be on my record. We have some great laws in the us of a....

Isn't it great that we have laws that can so easily be abused by women taking advice from their divorce lawyers? Isn't that great that we create laws that effectively make you "guilty until proven innocent" or until your court date? Remember, I was arrested and thrown into a jail cell and then kicked out my own house through the restraining order, wasn't that a penalty even before I had a chance to defend myself in the court of law and before any the crime could be proven?

Stop this nonsense. Domestic violence is a horrible thing but we shouldn't just pile laws on top laws just to get rid of social and psychological evil that should be treated with more education and support for women that are actually abused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia dem View Post
no, I am a survivor of domestic violence and I am VERY interested when ANY lawmaker makes a joke about it
I promise you there is nothing cute or funny about it
if this is the way this hack thinks,
then I hope he is voted out of office!
these jerks need to pay attention to us
I am planning on calling his office next week to let him know how little I think of him!!!
this is NOT about a party here this is about women being killed every minute by a man
so, I am not yawning!!!

Last edited by Rasputin2014; 03-16-2014 at 08:47 AM..

Old 03-16-2014, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin2014 View Post
You misunderstood his post. The poster is against domestic violence, or any other violence for that matter, but doesn't think creating new federal laws is necessary. We already have laws against domestic violence and let's focus on enforcing existing laws instead of creating new laws.
No I understand the post pretty damn clearly and it is pathetic. You don't think I know there are domestic violence laws on the state level, I have tried domestic violence cases in state court. Tell me where do you think a bunch of that funding for that comes from, the unicorn forest? Do you honestly think the cash strapped states are willing to pony up the billions they get from VAWA That is why his answer is pathetic, he is admitting DV is a problem but wants to work against doing something about it.

Old 03-16-2014, 08:40 AM

Quote:

I was referring to people making jokes about this domestic violence. For once in your life try to make a logical inference. In that context what make more sense for "these people" people who make light of domestic violence or all Republicans everywhere generally.

Old 03-16-2014, 09:00 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Its not faux anything. Its just that as is clear from your responses you don't see domestic violence as a serious issue and don't think it is as important as Obama and the Florida special election. Which is why you continue to try and hijack this thread.

Just admit that you don't really care what happens to domestic violence victims so long as it doesn't effect your anti-Obama crusade.
Truth. So few conservatives will even condemn this man for what he said. Deflection all over the place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
No, this is a troll thread in which you are trying to smear all Republicans as somehow in favor of domestic violence.
If this is a troll thread; then every thread on here is a troll thread. Every "I hate Obama' is a troll thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia dem View Post
I did not read that in the OP post about "all republicans but I sure have read a lot of your trying to look the other way to what this jerk said
yes domestic violence IS horrific and for a politician, any politician to crack jokes about it can expect people like me to say something about them
this is not about "libs" this is about violence
This is a fairly conservative poster and those of you who will not stand up and say these comments are wrong - have offended even her.

How many other women will you offend before the Republican ranks are empty of female voters?

Old 03-16-2014, 09:06 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,954,468 times
Odd I can't find a single thread entitled "I hate Obama." And everyone agrees what this no name said is asinine and inexcusable.

So, you need to calm down Ringo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies