Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 05:12 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,738,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexdiamondz1902 View Post
There was never a merit system to begin with, hence why Affirmative Action was necessary.
So what you're saying is...

Problem: people weren't being accepted based on merit
Solution: permit a system where people aren't accepted based on merit

You don't happen to work for the government do you?

Yes, we don't have a merit system though. We have a system where Asian students are discriminated against in favor blacks and Latinos.

Here is the approximate SAT score adjustment you receive based on your race, relative to whites:

Black +310
Hispanic +130
Asian -140

http://www.princeton.edu/~tje/files/...Dec%202004.pdf

Gee, I wonder why Asian students don't like the institutional racism known as affirmative action.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2014, 05:14 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,344,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
It is an interesting problem. Merit is an interesting criteria but it does have some problems. At the moment the elite UC schools are at or near 40% asian. Roughly 3 X their demographics percentage in CA.

Is that a good thing? It does not of course indicate that Asians are in fact 40% of the best minds in CA but rather that certainly family and cultural drives tends to get superior academic performance.

Black students are represented well below their demographic share. Non Hispanic whites are about on share though Hispanics take a beating.
For the first bold, that is because they have worked hard and deserve it.

For the second bold, I think black people could learn a thing or two from this. That would certainly be better than stealing the success of Asians.

Old 03-14-2014, 05:18 PM

91 posts, read 72,258 times
All this does it take away any incentive for hispanics and blacks to put an effort in school, and what good does that do when they'll flunk out of college because they were unprepared? Is the solution to that to inflate their grades in college? What about when they apply for a job?

Old 03-14-2014, 05:23 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,738,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
It is an interesting problem. Merit is an interesting criteria but it does have some problems. At the moment the elite UC schools are at or near 40% asian.
That's a problem why?

Old 03-14-2014, 05:24 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,921,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
For the first bold, that is because they have worked hard and deserve it.

For the second bold, I think black people could learn a thing or two from this. That would certainly be better than stealing the success of Asians.
Nigerian Black people in the US don't need AA since they're "Asian" level or better in taking care of business.

Old 03-14-2014, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Nigerian Black people in the US don't need AA since they're "Asian" level or better in taking care of business.
Really? Or are Nigerian black people just utilizing a system that they greatly benefit from? Take those pretty statistics about Nigerian Americans with a grain of salt. Their success is not just their own. They have a lot to thank affirmative action for.

Never the less they are a good example of what other black people in America could be if they put their minds to it.

Old 03-14-2014, 05:51 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,116,698 times
We were taught, at a very young age, to strive for perfection. We were told to worker harder than everyone else.

I started my studies at Berkeley in the fall of '76. My younger brothers and sisters all attended Berkeley, as well. My daughter attended Berkeley and Davis. I trust that my 3 year old grandson will have the same opportunity.

Limiting qualified Asian students admission sends the wrong message.

Old 03-14-2014, 06:08 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,818,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneOnegin View Post
That's a problem why?
Because Asians are not in fact 40% of our intellectual elite. I suspect they may be more than their demographic share but by a small percentage not a factor of 3X.

So practically we are singling out Asians for special education privileges far above what they can legitimately claim.

And this is based upon certain cultural and family patterns and social workings that may in fact may make Asians less valuable then their premium education would indicate.

YOu need to walk carefully so that you don't get tripped up by standard Asian stereotypes. But the criteria being used is probably incomplete and not approaching the full need of the society. I remain somewhat skeptical of any groups that end up with 4.15 averages on a 4.0 base. The system is being worked. I would much rather see a system where the average is well below 4.0. And perhaps a lottery for enrollment for all those who meet a suitable score.

We are rewarding a particular stereotype for both Asians and everyone else. But they are not necessarily our best and brightest.

Old 03-14-2014, 06:46 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,921,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
Really? Or are Nigerian black people just utilizing a system that they greatly benefit from? Take those pretty statistics about Nigerian Americans with a grain of salt. Their success is not just their own. They have a lot to thank affirmative action for.

Never the less they are a good example of what other black people in America could be if they put their minds to it.
Yes: "really". Nigerians are living proof there's NO need for AA based on skin color. Tho I'm def Ok with AA for our veterans, especially combat vets.

Old 03-14-2014, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Yes: "really". Nigerians are living proof there's NO need for AA based on skin color. Tho I'm def Ok with AA for our veterans, especially combat vets.
I don't buy it for a second. I think that Nigerians are right in line with the American norm. It is just that affirmative action works to inflate their numbers when it comes to college graduation rates. I personally have never met a really successful Nigerian American. I have met countless cab drivers from Nigeria though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies