Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 01:42 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,260,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
I'd prefer that too, but too many state legislatures are controlled by politicians who support gay marriage bans. That, or they're too afraid of challengers in their party primary elections to take a stand and take these bans out. For them it's easier to hide and let the courts do the work on this.
That's pretty much it. Before the SCOTUS heard the DOMA case the Republicans were confident that nothing would happen, as the case unfolded it became pretty clear how the court was going to rule. They could have acted on their own, but instead they let the court do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
It doesn't make sense for marriage equality to come about legislatively. Marriage is a basic human right. Either officials should simply set aside the bans summarily because they're immoral and unconstitutional, or the courts should order them to. Passing a law allowing same-sex marriage promulgates the fiction that the voters have a right to say whether or not homosexuals can marry. Human rights aren't subject to voter whims.
Unless I'm mistaken, they wouldn't be passing a law allowing SSM so much as they would be repealing the laws that ban them.

Old 03-15-2014, 02:06 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,003,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Why use the legislature when we can have the courts doing the legislating.

Much more efficient, no?

You can't have progress without using progressive ways of doing things
Liberal (or "progressive") ways are always unconstitutional.

The judiciary is not allowed to legislate from the bench.

Our republic has a separation of powers.

Old 03-15-2014, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Is it progressive when conservative Republican judges do it? You do realize it's the courts' job to determine the constitutionality of laws passed by the legislature right?
Actually, the job of the judiciary is to settle disputes according to law.

Old 03-15-2014, 02:10 PM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,703,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Unless I'm mistaken, they wouldn't be passing a law allowing SSM so much as they would be repealing the laws that ban them.
Human rights are not something that is within voters' purview.

Old 03-15-2014, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
. Marriage is a basic human right.
Yes, but nothing about that right should involve government endorsement.

If homosexuals want to call themselves "married" then they should be free to have those ceremonies.

Harrier's tax dollars should not be used to give their commitment any recognition or benefits.

Old 03-15-2014, 02:21 PM

843 posts, read 1,431,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post

If homosexuals want to call themselves "married" then they should be free to have those ceremonies.

Harrier's tax dollars should not be used to give their commitment any recognition or benefits.
And by your point of view, a gay couple's tax dollars should not be used to give your commitment any recognition or benefits.

Old 03-15-2014, 04:02 PM

29,818 posts, read 24,898,335 times
I guess my only question would be... Why would gay couples want to live in a red state like Tennessee??? They hold a "gay parade" here in Chicago every year. I can't imagine what would happen if they tried the same thing in some of these red states. But hey, for all I know, maybe such things do happen, and I'm just oblivious.

Old 03-15-2014, 05:24 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,491,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post

Yet is okay for the tax dollars of homosexuals to be used to subsidize heterosexual marriage, to give their commitments recognition and benefits?

Old 03-15-2014, 05:25 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,491,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I guess my only question would be... Why would gay couples want to live in a red state like Tennessee??? They hold a "gay parade" here in Chicago every year. I can't imagine what would happen if they tried the same thing in some of these red states. But hey, for all I know, maybe such things do happen, and I'm just oblivious.
You do know that we live everywhere, right?

Old 03-15-2014, 05:29 PM

423 posts, read 414,756 times
I'm fed up with ____cakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies