Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 10:22 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times

Advertisements

Went to Costco here in Redding today. Haven't been in a Costco store for at least 6 months. I used to buy cigarettes by the case back when I was smoking, and Costco quit selling tobacco products. I figured that was probably a good thing.

But, there was a huge display in the Costco here in Redding today for NJoy E-Cigarettes with the electronic cigarette and refill cartridges.

I used the NJoy e-cig to help me quit last year and once I got used to how different they felt in my mouth as opposed to a real cigarette, I used them instead of real cigarettes for probably 6 months until I even quit the e-cigs.

E-cigs are not tobacco, but I'm telling you, you can get a serious nicotine buzz off them lol! I didn't see anything that said they restricted sales to people 18 years or older. The display was basically in the middle of the store, not behind a cage like the tobacco products were.

Anyway, what do you think about Costco selling e-cigs?

Old 03-14-2014, 11:51 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
It strikes me as strange timing, now that local governments are starting to ban them.

I predict this will be a short-lived thing.

Old 03-15-2014, 12:07 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
I don't understand why they would get banned. I think they're great for what they are

Old 03-15-2014, 12:10 AM

1,276 posts, read 1,774,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
It strikes me as strange timing, now that local governments are starting to ban them.

Not cool if they are being banned. I meet people almost every freakin day who quite smoking using E-cigs or vapor pens, etc. Why does the damn government always disguise that they are doing best for us, when really all we have to do is follow the money trail? E-cigs and the like are a true method for smokers to really finally quit and they are banning it?

Old 03-15-2014, 06:38 AM

2,821 posts, read 2,108,580 times
Quote:

E-cigs will be banned in the same manner which traditional tobacco cigarettes are banned. Smokers will still have the option to use e-cigs.

Old 03-15-2014, 08:47 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,814,475 times
Quote:

Who's "banning" them? No cities/towns are "banning" them, but some are beginning to impose restrictions on where they can be used, just as with cigarettes. There's a big difference there.

E-cigs are here to stay. Busybodies had better get used to it.

Old 03-15-2014, 10:34 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,943,455 times
States are legalizing the use of marijuana for recreational use but some municipalities are restricting where e-cigs can be used.

The demise of our society is assured.

Old 03-15-2014, 10:39 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,500,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Who's "banning" them? No cities/towns are "banning" them, but some are beginning to impose restrictions on where they can be used, just as with cigarettes. There's a big difference there.

E-cigs are here to stay. Busybodies had better get used to it.
I think the anti-smoking folks are URGING the FDA to regulate e-cigs. (And 'big tobacco' is along for that 'ride' too - to limit the competition.) And likely they don't like the non-tax element of e-cigs right now - but they can't quite figure out how to rip taxes from e-cigs and not nicotine-patches, gum, etc -- but just give them time - they will figure some way.

As far as no sign on age restrictions, I think it is similar to alcohol displays in stores.

I think e-cigs are great. My employer went smoke-free recently, and though e-cigs are not allowed either, it really 'forced' me to check out e-cigs more than I had before - and so I'm glad for that.

BTW - cities are banning e-cigs.
Los Angeles moves to ban e-cigarettes, joining NY, others | Reuters

Old 03-15-2014, 11:35 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,948,315 times
I hate how ignorance takes over. I smoked for over 20 years & only quit because if a severe illness. My husband quit then too, but recently picked them back up. I urged him to try the ecigs--he loves them, and so do I! No stinking, no tar, no smoke, no mess--plus the option to wean the nicotine content if wanted. I wonder if these people who want them stopped realize you can buy nicotine-free juice? I doubt it. And what's funny is that, as Mack Knife pointed out, marijuana is being legalized. Like there are no adverse effects or noxious fumes from pot.

Old 03-15-2014, 03:06 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
States are legalizing the use of marijuana for recreational use but some municipalities are restricting where e-cigs can be used.

The demise of our society is assured.
Marijuana is still illegal to use and operate things while under the influence because of risks that effect the general population. That is the only KNOWN negative externality that effects the public (if it is legalized) and it's one we see with other legal drugs (OTC, prescriptions including allergy medication and recreational use such as Alcohol) and illegal drugs. Compare that to e-cigs where there is no known effects based on labs (only anecdotal such as me getting a headache from second hand vapor.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.