Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 09:43 PM

21,474 posts, read 10,575,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin2014 View Post
Zealots. Yes. I appreciate the fact that you don't bundle all religious people together considering that many of us embrace and support science. I'm a believer and don't see any reason to put down science just because of that fact. Long live science and hopefully it will always be ethical.
I used to not be much of a believer, but actually ideas like the Cosmos make me more willing to believe in a Creator. Maybe it's just me getting older, but when I look at all those galaxies upon galaxies I think it had to be created by something. All that created out of absolutely nothing makes as much sense to me as believing it was all created in one week.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:49 PM

2,817 posts, read 3,461,258 times
Creation and evolution both require faith to believe in. None can't be proven. Just enjoy your life.

Old 03-17-2014, 10:20 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,330,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Evolution is not a sound scientific theory.

People who rightly question evolution aren't "rejecting science", they are criticizing the promotion of something that has more holes than a chunk of Swiss cheese.
I'm gonna break it down for you:

1. The criticisms of evolution are based on nothing more than religious turkey gobble.

2. The God of which creationists speak is about as real as Santa Clause.

You're damn right I'm intolerant toward organized religion. The only reason I favor the protection of religious freedom is the simple fact that ideas like communism can themselves become like religions, and I'd rather have a bunch of religions cancelling each other out with their stupidity than to have one dominant anthropocentric religion.

Old 03-17-2014, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I used to not be much of a believer, but actually ideas like the Cosmos make me more willing to believe in a Creator. Maybe it's just me getting older, but when I look at all those galaxies upon galaxies I think it had to be created by something. All that created out of absolutely nothing makes as much sense to me as believing it was all created in one week.
It's fine to believe in a Creator or whatever you want to believe - but you're not entitled to your own facts.

Old 03-17-2014, 10:23 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,044,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
Creation and evolution both require faith to believe in. None can't be proven. Just enjoy your life.
While I agree with the idea of "Just enjoy your life", evolution /has/ been proven.

Also, on an unrelated note, the big bang theory has recently picked up some major proof as well.

Old 03-17-2014, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chin_Muzik_NJ View Post
That's all most of the athiest shills say

"You don't know how science works"

No, most people engaging in this type of discourse understand how science works just fine. Yes, it is self "correcting" but still always open ended...

What scientists fail to admit is that this is a perfect environment to rip off the general publics pockets and it is the perfect political tool. They also don't like to discuss flaws with peer review, the "opaqueness" of the fields (particle physics/astrophysics in particular), and how MOST of the world simply cannot replicate or test what is being told to us.

These are facts.
Oh blah blah blah....

"This is a perfect environment for corruption" - without in any way demonstrating how the findings and observations are corrupt.

"Peer review is flawed" -- except that you probably don't question gravity or germ theory. You see, that's the problem with the horse cr@p like the above. You can't just pick and choose the science you want to believe in. You either believe in scientific method and accept what those who actually dedicate their life's work produce - or you don't. And you clearly don't, because you don't like the fact that it completely goes contrary to some muck you learned in Sunday school. Well that's just too damned bad. But science is science. Deal.

Old 03-17-2014, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
It's fine to believe in a Creator or whatever you want to believe - but you're not entitled to your own facts.
What's that supposed to mean? When did I ever say anything was a fact? Please explain because I don't understand your post at all.

Old 03-17-2014, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
Oh blah blah blah....

"This is a perfect environment for corruption" - without in any way demonstrating how the findings and observations are corrupt.

"Peer review is flawed" -- except that you probably don't question gravity or germ theory. You see, that's the problem with the horse cr@p like the above. You can't just pick and choose the science you want to believe in. You either believe in scientific method and accept what those who actually dedicate their life's work produce - or you don't. And you clearly don't, because you don't like the fact that it completely goes contrary to some muck you learned in Sunday school. Well that's just too damned bad. But science is science. Deal.
I don't get the hostility. What are you raving about anyway?

Old 03-17-2014, 10:31 PM

Here's why I HATE religion.

If there's a Creator - and I actually happen to believe that there probably is - He/She/It would want you to USE THE DAMN BRAIN MATTER THAT YOU WERE GIVEN AT BIRTH!!!!!!!!!!! Otherwise, you wouldn't have benefited from being endowed with this higher form of consciousness. It's idiotic to suppose that God only wanted us to believe in the same lore that was told around campfires at the times cavemen were drawing paintings on stone walls. I'm sick of religion. I DESPISE it!!!!

Old 03-17-2014, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I don't get the hostility. What are you raving about anyway?
My hostility is bare. It is directed at those who insist on imposing their worldview, which has no basis in fact, on the rest of us who experiment and observe. I am hostile to them. I used to pretend that I wasn't. I used to believe that there was room for tolerance of opposing viewpoints, but I have come to realize that there's no tolerance of mine, so why should I tolerate theirs in return. Why pretend to be nice. I f*cking despise religion. Why did 9/11 happen after all? Was it a secular crime or a religious one? All for a God that doesn't exist. Lives snuffed out forever. Damn right I'm intolerant and hostile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies