Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2014, 02:20 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,594,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
Yup, I think you are pulling the whole story right out of your ass. That, or there is a significant piece that you, or your sister is not telling or does not understand about insurance plans.
You think "EVERY" NY metro hospital takes ACA plans, when they in fact do not. So what you think is obviously disconnected from reality.

Only one of us is pulling things out of our asses, and it isn't me.

Old 04-29-2014, 02:25 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Do people availing themselves of the ACA still have to deal with paying monthly premiums to an insurance company?
Arent those monthly payments lower due to pooling of large numbers of people looking for health insurance ?
Seems to me the insurance companies are getting many new clients, hospitals also are getting more patients.
And people who didnt qualify for insurance in the past are now paying a monthly fee for insurance coverage.
New standards have been put in place to prevent unscrupulous insurance companies from ripping off their clients
I'm not seeing a problem with this system.

Old 04-29-2014, 02:25 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,594,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
$1,400 per month. $16,800 per year. What's your deductible?
Probably something criminally obscene for an almost 17k/annual policy like $5,000.

The ACA plans are high deductible plans with high premiums...does not compute.

I pay 1k a month or 12k/year for a family of six and we only have a $500.00 deductible.

It was 699/month, but then the whole "affordable" healthcare thing kicked in so it went up almost 30%, because reasons.

Old 04-29-2014, 03:11 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,022,030 times
Quote:
Don't even give me that bull****. EVERY hospital in metro new york will take a health insurance plan from Empire BCBS. It is one of if not the largest private insurer in the New York metropolitan area.

Some of you people are grasping for straws with your fear mongering. It is so comical and the American people aren't falling for it.
Even a quick search found out that not all hospitals in NYC are taking all Obamacare plans.

Some NY Hospitals Opting Out of Health Exchange Plans - WNYC
Quote:
Many providers say negotiations with insurers are ongoing, but here are some examples of major New York hospitals and how many insurance plans for individuals they are participating in, as of October 1:

Montefiore will be in-network for seven out of the nine insurance plans offered in the region—all except for Fidelis Care, a Catholic non-profit, and MetroPlus, the insurance arm of the city’s public hospital system.
Mt. Sinai Health System, which recently grew to include Beth Israel, St. Luke’s Roosevelt and other facilities, is in-network for six insurers.
Maimonides Medical Center, in Brooklyn, is in-network for five.
Medisys, which includes hospitals in Flushing and Jamaica, is in seven plans.
Brookdale Hospital is in four.
Northshore-LIJ, the state’s largest hospital system, has its own insurance plan – and is in-network for five others.
NYU is in-network for three insurers, Fidelis, Affinity and United.
New York-Presbyterian is in-network for United, Emblem and Aetna.

Old 04-29-2014, 03:25 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,335,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
Probably something criminally obscene for an almost 17k/annual policy like $5,000.

The ACA plans are high deductible plans with high premiums...does not compute.

I pay 1k a month or 12k/year for a family of six and we only have a $500.00 deductible.

It was 699/month, but then the whole "affordable" healthcare thing kicked in so it went up almost 30%, because reasons.
I have a plan through healthcare.gov. A Human POS plan. I receive no subsidy and pay $230 a month. My deductible is $2,500

Old 04-29-2014, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Even a quick search found out that not all hospitals in NYC are taking all Obamacare plans.

Some NY Hospitals Opting Out of Health Exchange Plans - WNYC
Such is the way ALL health insurance plans work. You need to stay in network. That isn't something characteristic of Obamacare. That is what our healthcare system revolves around.

You can't buy an insurance plan through the exchanges and then whine when whatever hospital you want to go to isn't in network. If there is a certain doctor or healthcare facility that you like then it is up to you to get insurance that has those providers in network. The plans through the exchanges make it very easy to see which doctors are in network and which ones are not.

When I bought my Humana plan through the exchanges I was already seeing doctors. I needed to make sure I could see doctors that were in network. That was my responsibility. You can't buy a plan without researching your personal needs first.

Old 04-29-2014, 03:38 PM

9,853 posts, read 7,724,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I'm not getting a subsidy and it's affordable for me -- about the same cost as my former policy.

We're paying $1400 a month, which to me sounds pretty reasonable for a couple in their 60s. That's only $700 a month per head, and one major event could easily go way beyond that.

I don't know how in the heck people expect to survive in this world for free.
I think your idea of affordable is different that most peoples', but congrats to you for fitting that into your budget. $1400 a month is what my family is expected to pay next year when our plan cancels, unfortunately, I don't know how we're going to swing that.

Old 04-29-2014, 04:55 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,504,849 times
Quote:
Such is the way ALL health insurance plans work. You need to stay in network. That isn't something characteristic of Obamacare. That is what our healthcare system revolves around.

You can't buy an insurance plan through the exchanges and then whine when whatever hospital you want to go to isn't in network. If there is a certain doctor or healthcare facility that you like then it is up to you to get insurance that has those providers in network. The plans through the exchanges make it very easy to see which doctors are in network and which ones are not.

When I bought my Humana plan through the exchanges I was already seeing doctors. I needed to make sure I could see doctors that were in network. That was my responsibility. You can't buy a plan without researching your personal needs first.
Your 1st rant was that all NYC hospitals accept all BC/BS policies. That was false.

The exchange plans don't have all the providers every patient had before Ocare abolished their policies. Plus, either you never knew or forget the confusion over the network lists for exchange plans.

Old 04-29-2014, 05:20 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,884,494 times
Default When Power changes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Your 1st rant was that all NYC hospitals accept all BC/BS policies. That was false.

The exchange plans don't have all the providers every patient had before Ocare abolished their policies. Plus, either you never knew or forget the confusion over the network lists for exchange plans.
When the Dem;s are replaced and the country brings a real plan to the table. You will see how many Jump off the SS Obama Health Plan. The Gov holds all the cardswhen they say"Its Mandidtory and you will be fined"

That's the problem!

Old 04-29-2014, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post

The only policies that were abolished are the policies that were crap to begin with. Catastrophe plans with tiny details in the contract and the smallest provider networks on the market.

You will find something better, and cheaper, than those scam catastrophe plans on the healthcare.gov website.

Most New York hospitals will take all insurance plans. If someone wants state of the art care at a state of the art for-profit hospital then there are few hospitals before or after obamacare that will be in network.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies