Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2014, 08:42 AM

628 posts, read 1,312,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
80% of people who either have employer health plans or government health plans (medicare/medicaid/tricare) or individual state insurance plans are mainly unaffected by the ACA.

The fight is over the 5% of the US population individual market right now. So while 80% are unaffected now. By 2020 it's expected 20% of people will be signing up for the individual market.

Just because you won't be affected now, won't mean you will be forced onto the individual market by 2020. So that's why I am glad you took a peek over at the individual market plans. It's expensive especially for those making more than 400% and younger. Not everyone is going to get subsidies.
I agree with you and at the same time I sympathize with those who need insurance and dont have it. However, I am happy at this point to not be one of those that are out there shopping for this so called "affordable care act". There is nothing that is affordable about this for those who arent receiving subsidies.
It would cost me approximately 27,000 dollars a year to insure my wife and myself.....18,000 in premiums and 9700 deductible. This number is beyond ridiculous!

Old 04-18-2014, 08:45 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,288,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
This is wrong, this isn't about the 5% of Americans on the individual market. You are very uninformed about the impact of the law on every one.

The changes in insurance standards include guarantees that prevent insurance carriers from dropping policyholders if they become sick or made a mistake on their applications. Additionally, the ACA bans price discrimination based on race, gender or pre-existing conditions and allow children to stay on their parents' insurance plan until age 26.

The ACA also requires insurance companies to spend at least 80 percent of all insurance premium dollars on medical care. And insurers will not be allowed to set annual or lifetime caps on "essential benefits," which include:

-- ambulatory patient services

-- emergency services

-- hospitalization

-- maternity and newborn care

-- mental health and substance use disorder services

-- prescription drugs

-- rehabilitative services and devices

-- preventive and wellness services and chronic disease management

-- pediatric services

All of those changes impact everyone with health insurance.

Plus obviously the ACA is about the uninsured which is about 15% of the population. This is basic stuff.

To say it is only about 5% on the individual market is just flat out not accurate. Smh
No, not anymore.

HHS came out with a new ruling.
$5.5 billion is in the fund "risk corridor" to bail them out of losses.
That 80/20 rule got changed to 77/23.

That happened last month.

Old 04-18-2014, 08:47 AM

8,061 posts, read 4,867,795 times
Default can you believe O is calling this a success?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jareb View Post
I agree with you and at the same time I sympathize with those who need insurance and dont have it. However, I am happy at this point to not be one of those that are out there shopping for this so called "affordable care act". There is nothing that is affordable about this for those who arent receiving subsidies.
It would cost me approximately 27,000 dollars a year to insure my wife and myself.....18,000 in premiums and 9700 deductible. This number is beyond ridiculous!
Obama is quick to brag about the enrollment, but refuses to talk about the cost and the level of coverage a family may receive.

Obama Care is a dog and pony show and I am glad citizens are speaking their minds!

Old 04-18-2014, 08:47 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,281,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
So you want to argue that the drop in the uninsured isnt because of ACA, but have nothing to back that up other than mindless speculation which is worthless..
Again I am not arguing anything. You aren't in disagreement with me. I simply accept the available data on the impact of the law.

QuickTake: Number of Uninsured Adults Falls by 5.4 Million Since 2013

QuickTake: Number of Uninsured Adults Falls by 5.4 Million since 2013

Obamacare helped nearly 10 million get insurance, Gallup finds

In total, 9.9 million people got insurance since the last quarter of 2013, bringing the number of uninsured Americans down from 43.5 million to 36.3 million, Gallup says.

"We feel pretty comfortable attributing much of this change to the Affordable Care Act," Witters told NBC News.

http://www.cbo.gov/sites/default/fil..._Estimates.pdf

CBO and JCT estimate that the insurance coverage pro- visions of the ACA will increase the proportion of the nonelderly population with insurance from roughly
80 percent in the absence of the ACA to about 84 percent in 2014 and to about 89 percent in 2016 and beyond (see Table 2). CBO and JCT project that 12 million more nonelderly people will have health insurance in 2014 than would have had it in the absence of the ACA.

Survey Estimates Net Gain of 9.3 Million American Adults with Health Insurance | RAND

Survey Estimates Net Gain of 9.3 Million American Adults with Health Insurance

But early evidence from our survey indicates that the ACA has already led to a substantial increase in insurance coverage. Consistent with the design of the ACA, this gain in insurance has come not only from new enrollment in the marketplaces, but also from new enrollment in employer coverage and Medicaid.

Old 04-18-2014, 08:49 AM

2,825 posts, read 2,091,286 times
Like it or not, ACA is here. Making it for everyone is the real issue.

Old 04-18-2014, 08:49 AM

69,368 posts, read 63,961,336 times
Quote:
Again I am not arguing anything. You aren't in disagreement with me. I simply accept the available data on the impact of the law.

QuickTake: Number of Uninsured Adults Falls by 5.4 Million Since 2013

QuickTake: Number of Uninsured Adults Falls by 5.4 Million since 2013

Obamacare helped nearly 10 million get insurance, Gallup finds

In total, 9.9 million people got insurance since the last quarter of 2013, bringing the number of uninsured Americans down from 43.5 million to 36.3 million, Gallup says.

"We feel pretty comfortable attributing much of this change to the Affordable Care Act," Witters told NBC News.

http://www.cbo.gov/sites/default/fil..._Estimates.pdf

CBO and JCT estimate that the insurance coverage pro- visions of the ACA will increase the proportion of the nonelderly population with insurance from roughly
80 percent in the absence of the ACA to about 84 percent in 2014 and to about 89 percent in 2016 and beyond (see Table 2). CBO and JCT project that 12 million more nonelderly people will have health insurance in 2014 than would have had it in the absence of the ACA.

Survey Estimates Net Gain of 9.3 Million American Adults with Health Insurance | RAND

Survey Estimates Net Gain of 9.3 Million American Adults with Health Insurance

But early evidence from our survey indicates that the ACA has already led to a substantial increase in insurance coverage. Consistent with the design of the ACA, this gain in insurance has come not only from new enrollment in the marketplaces, but also from new enrollment in employer coverage and Medicaid.
No what you are doing is IGNORING the losses which took place because of ACA and ONLY counting the newly insured individuals

Thats dishonest and YOU KNOW IT..

Quoting Obamas "talking points" arent making you seem anymore honest or knowledgable.

How do we have a net gain when the uninsured is MORE than there were before the bill was passed?

Old 04-18-2014, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erratikmind View Post
Like it or not, ACA is here. Making it for everyone is the real issue.
ACA was NEVER for everyone. In order for it to be paid for, 30,000,000 individuals will STILL go without insurance..

OBAMA LIED, and you bought it.

Old 04-18-2014, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Yes you did..

You said changes in ACA would have had effect until 2013..

Ironically, cancellations skyrocketed in 2013, months before ACA became in effect.. NOT 2012 like you are proclaiming. 2012 actually had a DROP in the uninsured, the exact OPPOSITE of you are saying is true.

Flip flopping like a dead fish...'
Smh, is this your argument? Lol

The tax law to subsidize employer provided health insurance kicked in 2010.

The so called policy cancellation scandal didn't occur until September/October 2013.

You see how those two topics aren't related?

So linking to a story that details how the IRS says hundreds of thousands of businesses are using a tax policy in the ACA is not the same as saying in order for a chart to prove that the ACA caused a spike in the rate of the uninsured, the spike would occur at the end of 2013.

Old 04-18-2014, 08:57 AM

Quote:
No what you are doing is IGNORING the losses which took place because of ACA and ONLY counting the newly insured individuals

Thats dishonest and YOU KNOW IT..

Quoting Obamas "talking points" arent making you seem anymore honest or knowledgable.

How do we have a net gain when the uninsured is MORE than there were before the bill was passed?
Again, what loses. The rate of the uninsured is dropping. You aren't making any sense.

Also the the whole policy cancellations lie has been debunked as not being as severe as conservatives believe.

How Many Nongroup Policies Were Canceled? Estimates From December 2013 – Health Affairs Blog

Using this estimate, our findings imply that roughly 2.6 million people would have reported that their plan would no longer be offered due to noncompliance with the ACA. Another 6 percent reported that their plan was cancelled for other reasons, and 75.4 percent reported that they did not receive a notice of cancellation (figure 1).

Old 04-18-2014, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Smh, is this your argument? Lol

The tax law to subsidize employer provided health insurance kicked in 2010.

The so called policy cancellation scandal didn't occur until September/October 2013.

You see how those two topics aren't related?

So linking to a story that details how the IRS says hundreds of thousands of businesses are using a tax policy in the ACA is not the same as saying in order for a chart to prove that the ACA caused a spike in the rate of the uninsured, the spike would occur at the end of 2013.
ACA didnt kick in until January 2014, so of course the cancellations would have occured in late 2013 so people can sign up for the exchange.

They couldnt sign up for exchanges in 2010, 2011, 2012, so clearly they couldnt benefit from ACA during that period of time.

If you want to have an honest discussion, I'm open to it, but clearly you dont.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies