Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2014, 02:45 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,197,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Everyone I am aware that were given cancellation notices were forced into the exchange.
I received a cancellation notice, and I had three options.

1. Keep my old plan.

2. Buy a new policy directly from one of the many insurance companies in my state.

3. Buy a plan off the exchanges.

Old 04-18-2014, 02:45 PM

7,501 posts, read 5,749,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
Over one million more than were projected with the final numbers coming in. Only 27% of the enrollees were between 18 and 34. However that means that almost 6 million were over 35 with many in the what could be considered the Republican base between 50-64. Do you think those people are going to be responding to the Republican plan of repeal and lose their insurance and possible subsidies? The Republicans dont have a plan as the RSC admits since nothing has ever been voted on since 2010. Shouldn't Republicans be coming up with a plan rather than telling the 8 million sorry about your health insurance but we have ours?

Obamacare final enrollment hits 8 million
Anyone give me 9,9,9 million? 9 million to the man in the liars chair! Can someone give me 12 million? 12,12,12 million? Nobody? 12,12 12 million? Ok, 9 going once. 9 going twice. SOLD for 9 million to the man in the lairs chair!

For Christs sake liberals will believe anything from their dear leaders chops.

Old 04-18-2014, 02:51 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,017,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Over the last few decades, tremendous technological advancements have meant huge spikes in medical capital equipment

We pay for what is available when we visit a hospital, just as we pay for all available amenities at a 4 star hotel whether we use them or not.
I'm just talking the last 10 years. They have the same technologies in Europe and they pay
a third of what we do. Quit thinking America is the only country in the world with extraordinary
health care because it is not. We are simply the most expensive, and it has nothing to do
with technological advancements, but everything to do with greed.

When we STOP looking at health care delivery as a commodity THEN the USA can join the rest of civilized society.

Old 04-18-2014, 02:57 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,966,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post

We are simply the most expensive, and it has nothing to do

We also have jackpot lawsuits which create gigantic malpractice insurance costs. Charging that back to the user isn't greed.

I'd love tort reform, which combined taking medical licenses away (without fellow docs on staff deciding), with very low limits on punitive damages.

Old 04-18-2014, 03:02 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:
I'm just talking the last 10 years. They have the same technologies in Europe and they pay
a third of what we do. Quit thinking America is the only country in the world with extraordinary
health care because it is not. We are simply the most expensive, and it has nothing to do

When we STOP looking at health care delivery as a commodity THEN the USA can join the rest of civilized society.
Is that billed, or paid amounts because they are vastly different..

And if its paid amounts, considering the government pays a vast number of claims in this country, how does moving more people under their care make it cheaper?

Old 04-18-2014, 03:11 PM

3,599 posts, read 6,782,668 times
Quote:

You do realize the average wage of European workers is about $40K (plus great social services).

The average wage of US federal workers is around $80K (plus great benefits)

Everything is expensive in the USA. We should start reducing US federal workers salaries first. Cut defense spending, cut healthcare spending.

Let's see which group of people get pissed off at their politician first. Ain't no politician going to get elected by cutting salaries.

Old 04-18-2014, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
We also have jackpot lawsuits which create gigantic malpractice insurance costs. Charging that back to the user isn't greed.

I'd love tort reform, which combined taking medical licenses away (without fellow docs on staff deciding), with very low limits on punitive damages.
Tort reform is just a buzz word for republicans to want to keep things exactly as they were.

Actually around 38 states have tort reform already. And you don't want to totally erode
the 10th amendment, do you...

Three out of the four most populated states have punitive caps.
What's wrong with New York??
Well, what they say is if you sue in NY you will get paid very well

It's also common knowledge that tort reform does not reduce health care costs.

Old 04-18-2014, 03:16 PM

2,865 posts, read 3,630,500 times
Obamacare Final Enrollment Hits 8 Million

This just shows you how many people chose to purchase insurance rather than face the penalties. It is no indicator of how many actually wanted to participate. I am sure that a percentage that signed up wanted to, but we may never know what that percentage is. It's like saying "New seatbelt law in effect as of April first. All violators will face 3 points on their license and a $100 fine". Just because you buckle up, doesn't indicate you want to or agree with the law.

Old 04-18-2014, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
You do realize the average wage of European workers is about $40K (plus great social services).

The average wage of US federal workers is around $80K (plus great benefits)

Everything is expensive in the USA. We should start reducing US federal workers salaries first. Cut defense spending, cut healthcare spending.

Let's see which group of people get pissed off at their politician first. Ain't no politician going to get elected by cutting salaries.
That's an average. There are a lot of folks working for the federal government that do not
make 80,000 a year. And we don't have to cut salaries. But we certainly can freeze them,
especially during times of low inflation. Don't even get me started on the Congressional
salaries. They should go back to 10,000 a year and part time to boot...

Old 04-18-2014, 03:21 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,972,033 times
Quote:
Why does a hospital bed cost 2K a day. Why has it doubled in the last 10 years when inflation
has been practically at a stand still.

An average stay in the USA is over 18,000.
The US spends three times as much on a hospital stay as other industrialized countries, even though our hospital stays are shorter.

Insurance companies make their money on premiums. And premiums are based on costs.
And now we have a federal mandate to continue the madness...
Malpractice insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies