Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 05:28 AM

46,281 posts, read 27,093,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
I see your confusion, which is my fault. I don't know what Scotty's net worth is, but I wasn't referring to the helpers he hires. I was referring to Scotty himself, who works for his clients, all of whom are not wealthy.
Your friend works for himself....his own business....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2014, 05:29 AM

1,179 posts, read 1,552,791 times
test

Old 03-26-2014, 05:53 AM

3,304 posts, read 2,172,400 times
Yes, Detroit is full of poor people and look at all the jobs that they created! The economy is going like gangbusters over there.

The fact that people spend money does not mean that they create jobs. It's like saying the ocean creates sailing ships. It's up to entrepreneurs to harness that spending power by providing some type of goods or service that people want to spend their money on. And in turn, they must employ people to help provide those goods and services. And the general population only has money to spend when millions of businesses exist to do the same.

If I go buy a burger at a fast food place, I didn't create a job. The owner of the restaurant did by producing a burger that I wanted to buy.

Old 03-26-2014, 08:09 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
There's no such thing as a "free economy" and there never was (well, at least not since the old barter days when folks lived in caves and hide huts and hunted for their food).

Ken

A free economy has many choices, not restricting choices so only those with deep pockets can compete.
Government is the only entity, that can restrict choices in the USA.

Old 03-26-2014, 10:10 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,330,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
Yes, Detroit is full of poor people and look at all the jobs that they created! The economy is going like gangbusters over there.

The fact that people spend money does not mean that they create jobs. It's like saying the ocean creates sailing ships. It's up to entrepreneurs to harness that spending power by providing some type of goods or service that people want to spend their money on...
You don't think poor people in Detroit find things to spend their money on?
Trust me, when you are poor, FINDING THINGS TO SPEND YOUR MONEY ON is NOT a problem.
How many jobs would there be in Detroit if all those poor people didn't spend a dime?

If no one spent money there would be NO jobs - period.
On the other hand everyone COULD be self-employed and then there would be no need for someone else to "create a job" so theoretically there's no need for employers, but a constant need for consumers. In reality of course, our society requires BOTH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
...If I go buy a burger at a fast food place, I didn't create a job...
Sure you did, YOU DIDN'T HAVE to buy the burger. You made a choice to do that, and by doing so you created a DEMAND, which the employer then filled. No demand, no job. How many employers do you know who "created jobs" when there was no demand? That's not to say it doesn't happen - there are clever folks out there who have actually created their own demand with really exceptional products or marketing, but those are the exceptions rather than the rule, generally demand exists first then jobs follow. Hence in the vast majority of cases, it's the consumers who are generally the drivers of job creation - especially here in the US where we have a consumer-driven economy.

It cracks me up when I see these self-professed "economic experts" - most of whom have NEVER hired a single person - proclaiming that "poor people" (who consume things just like everyone else) "never created a job" - when in fact those people who REALLY understand how business works (and are SUCCESSFULL at it) know full well that the very existance of their business DEPENDS on the BUYING PUBLIC. That's the difference between those who TALK about "creating jobs" and hiring people - and those who ACTUALLY DO IT. In a consumer-driven economy like that of the US, ultimately, the consumers decide which businesses survive and thrive to "create jobs" and which businesses go down the tubes - as the owners of many failed firms have learned to their dismay.

Ken

Last edited by LordBalfor; 03-26-2014 at 10:32 AM..

Old 03-26-2014, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
A free economy has many choices, not restricting choices so only those with deep pockets can compete.
Government is the only entity, that can restrict choices in the USA.
Hence there's been no such thing as a "free economy" since the creation of government thousands of years ago - which is pretty much what I said.

Ken

Old 03-26-2014, 10:32 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Hence there's been no such thing as a "free economy" since the creation of government thousands of years ago - which is pretty much what I said.

Ken

The Constitution all but guaranteed We The People a Free Economy... What happened

Remember, the Constitution was unique.

Old 03-26-2014, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The Constitution all but guaranteed We The People a Free Economy... What happened

Remember, the Constitution was unique.
No it didn't.
The very act of TAXATION or REGULATION (of ANY KIND) puts a burden on a "free economy" and therefor eliminates it.
What government has EVER existed without taxation or regulation? - certainly not OURS.

Among the several places in the Constitution that restricts a "free economy" (and therefor makes it a "not free economy"):

"Section. 8.

The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;"

http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/cha...ranscript.html

Definiton of Imposts: Imposts. Taxes or duties; taxes levied by the government on imported goods.

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Imposts

So BUILT INTO the Constitution ITSELF there are provisions that put an imposition on a "free economy". A truly "free economy" would have no such thing as import or export duties - and yet the US has such duties secured within the very framework of it's creation.

So, I repeat - there is no such thing as a "free economy" and there has not been since the economy was simple bartering (many thousands of years ago).

Ken

Last edited by LordBalfor; 03-26-2014 at 11:05 AM..

Old 03-26-2014, 11:11 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,730,963 times
Quote:
You don't think poor people in Detroit find things to spend their money on?
Trust me, when you are poor, FINDING THINGS TO SPEND YOUR MONEY ON is NOT a problem.
How many jobs would there be in Detroit if all those poor people didn't spend a dime?

Ken
Yes,.. drugs, then that money goes to Mexico or Columbia.

You mean the poor people find things to spend MY MONEY on. The money I was forced to pay to be passed on to them.

Old 03-26-2014, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Yes,.. drugs, then that money goes to Mexico or Columbia...
You don't think poor people EAT?
You don't think they buy CLOTHES or TOILET PAPER or GASOLINE?

You think that ALL poor people are on DRUGS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
You mean the poor people find things to spend MY MONEY on. The money I was forced to pay to be passed on to them.
You think that ALL poor people are dependent upon YOU?
That NONE of them WORK?

Somehow those views don't surprise me at.

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies