Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 11:29 AM

7,713 posts, read 4,747,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecstatic Magnet View Post
The same crowd who declares there's a war on Christmas every year is now against freedom of religion.

Shocker.
I know this wasn't directed at me, but instead of being cheeky why not try to address this issue seriously? These are very serious issues to Muslims & they want changes. I already know the position of Conservatives & Moderates, but I'm curious to hear what Progressives think on this subject?

- Should we interrupt instruction to have special 15 minute prayer breaks for Muslims only?

- Should we accommodate Muslims by segregating boys & girls in public schools?

- Should we re-allocate funds to build foot washing stations in all public schools?

- Should we ban pork in all public school cafeterias?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2014, 11:45 AM

7,713 posts, read 4,747,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikBEggs View Post
Agreed. However, if fish fry is being offered for lent, I see no reason why Halal options should not also be an offered at public schools. It is the same concept as Vegan / Vegetarian. Schools should have many choices. Anything is better than junk food.

That is not the argument. A Muslim student can choose not to eat pork.

No, that's not true at all. That is intolerance.

Vegetarians can also "choose" to adapt. The point is... the offering should be there to recognize that there are other cultures / lifestyles in our society, especially in NYC.
Thanks for the honest reply. By now I'm sure you realize that Muslims are pushing for and/or gaining the things I listed here. Now that they've set the precedent of banning pork in some public school cafeterias, having special Muslim prayer breaks during class periods, have begun to get their foot washing stations installed & have been pushing for segregated (read; Sharia Law) lunchrooms & classrooms I don't believe it will swing back the other way anytime soon. It's all about setting precedents. Here in St Paul, Mn. we know have Sharia Law swimming classes at the YWCA for Muslim girls only. The local Muslim community also spearheaded the anti Gay Marriage push so I expect before long we'll see them pushing for some type of ban on teachings/displays of homosexuality as well.

Old 03-17-2014, 11:49 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,658,721 times
Mason3000- I answered you very direct, and i would say i am more moderate/ conservative .

Old 03-17-2014, 11:51 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
No wonder the New York Public City Schools are having so many problems with kids not being able to read or graduate.

They are wringing their hands over what to feed the students without offending anyone instead of teaching them.

Old 03-17-2014, 11:53 AM

15,865 posts, read 21,441,250 times
I see a lot of misunderstanding about what Halal and Kosher foods mean. It does not just mean not eating pork.

Halal is less restrictive than Kosher, but it pertains to the means of slaughter and religious ritual around the blessing just as much as it means no pork. Kosher food involves no pork, shellfish, or mixing meat and dairy (depending on your level of observance, that can mean in the same meal or in the same day).

Old 03-17-2014, 11:58 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,405,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
No wonder the New York Public City Schools are having so many problems with kids not being able to read or graduate.

They are wringing their hands over what to feed the students without offending anyone instead of teaching them.
This is an inappropriate and baseless response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
Thanks for the honest reply. By now I'm sure you realize that Muslims are pushing for and/or gaining the things I listed here. Now that they've set the precedent of banning pork in some public school cafeterias, having special Muslim prayer breaks during class periods, have begun to get their foot washing stations installed & have been pushing for segregated (read; Sharia Law) lunchrooms & classrooms I don't believe it will swing back the other way anytime soon. It's all about setting precedents. Here in St Paul, Mn. we know have Sharia Law swimming classes at the YWCA for Muslim girls only. The local Muslim community also spearheaded the anti Gay Marriage push so I expect before long we'll see them pushing for some type of ban on teachings/displays of homosexuality as well.
Well, for clarification, that is not what I was suggesting. That is indeed wrong.

I think a certain amount of diversity is necessary but not if it infringes on the rights of other students. Public schools shall not be segregated, anti-homosexual teaching is unacceptable, and prayer breaks have no place in public schools. Public schools should remain as secular as possible, with some diversity available in food choices.

Old 03-17-2014, 12:00 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
Quote:
This is an inappropriate and baseless response.
Is the job of the NYCPS to teach students or to ensure that no one is offended by taxpayer funded food?

Old 03-17-2014, 12:02 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,405,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Is the job of the NYCPS to teach students or to ensure that no one is offended by taxpayer funded food?
You completely missed the boat.

Part of school is allowing different cultures and ideas to peacefully coexist. Your mindset is more offensive than allowing the choice of someone of a different culture to have their food offered at lunch. And what if a Christian student eats and enjoys? Is that not the point of school; exchanging cultures and ideas?

Old 03-17-2014, 12:04 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,668,081 times
Quote:
Agreed. However, if fish fry is being offered for lent, I see no reason why Halal options should not also be an offered at public schools. It is the same concept as Vegan / Vegetarian. Schools should have many choices. Anything is better than junk food.

That is not the argument. A Muslim student can choose not to eat pork.

No, that's not true at all. That is intolerance.

Vegetarians can also "choose" to adapt. The point is... the offering should be there to recognize that there are other cultures / lifestyles in our society, especially in NYC.
Halal Islamic dietary guidelines.

Islamic is religious.

Why should we permit one religious guideline of foods in our public schools?

Old 03-17-2014, 12:06 PM

1,632 posts, read 1,850,124 times
Jews living in the US don't celebrate Christmas along with us, but it's never caused a problem with either one , doesn't really matter much because Muslims will get whatever they want in the long run anyhow , certain politicians will make sure of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies