Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 01:29 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,575,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
And you sell your beer there....that is a service....
No, it's not like they pick and choose who to sell their beer to. They simply decided not to sell their beer at the event at all.

If you don't like to bake cakes for gay people, then you are welcome to not bake cakes for anybody at all. Get that? You are free to not have the business open at all. But you can't pick and choose who to bake a cake for.

If you hate gay people and you're a doctor, you are more than welcome to not practice medicine at all. But once you do, you can't pick and choose whose life to save and whose life to bleed to death.

Edited: Took out offensive words.

Old 03-17-2014, 01:29 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
St. Patrick was not Irish and was never canonized by the Catholic church.

The first St. Patrick's Day Parade occurred in NYC, as a political statement.

The Irish were slaves in Europe and the U.S. An African slave usually had more value than an Irish slave.

There are now as many Irish in the U.S. as there are in Ireland.

As with all holidays in the U.S., it's commercial.

Old 03-17-2014, 01:32 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,321,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Yes, in Cleveland on St. Patrick's Day it is normally cold, and there is some form of precipitation falling be it a cold rain, freezing rain, sleet, or snow flurries. Today it's cold, (31 degrees F) but wall to wall sunshine. Of course there are exceptions. 2 years ago my neighbors threw a huge St. Patricks Day party, and it was warm (almost 80 degrees F) and I had shorts on until the sun started to go down. Most of us were outside because it was so nice. But yes, I agree that most of the time it's too cold to go downtown for the parade . I don't much like going to an event downtown outside in the cold unless it's a Browns game! Even Indians home games in April are too cold. To me baseball equals warm weather, so it just doesn't fit.
It was about minus 20 yesterday. No thank you.

Old 03-17-2014, 01:32 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,788,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
I don't understand why the gay community have to prove or show they are gay at every event or gathering? Its a Catholic Christian Observation.
Today, it's more of a heritage unification observation celebrating the heritage and culture of the Irish. The true power of keeping gays oppressed is to keep them invisible. If gays are not visible, they don't exist, and the oppressors will continue saying things like, "well, only 2-4% of the general population is gay," which we know it is more than that. Oppressors want gays invisible, because if they are visible their acceptance will continue to increase, because all the stereotypes, myths and misinformation oppressors like to spread in order to keep gays disliked will dissipate.

Old 03-17-2014, 01:34 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,187,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
I don't understand why the gay community have to prove or show they are gay at every event or gathering? Its a Catholic Christian Observation.
Oh rubbish. The event has from Day One always been about politics as much as anything...do some background reading. The Irish in Ireland found no reason to go staggering through the streets on St. Patrick's feast day until a bunch of Yanks introduced the parade scene in the later part of the 20th century. And, by the way, one of the very first prize winners for a float was a gay group...in Cork City, as I recall.

When I first came to NYC in the late 50's the parade still had at least the vestiges of an Irish Catholic immigrant event; the United Irish Counties Assn could still muster up a contingent for most (but not all Irish counties, with their own banners, etc.) to give a waning, time-worn authenticity to things.

However, even then there were already many organizations clearly neither Irish nor Catholic participating, and over the forty years I lived in NYC this became more and more the case. I finally simply stopped attending because it had numerically lost its original orientation and the behaviour of the sidewalk crowds became totally obnoxious.

A green plastic derby hat does not make you Irish or Irish-American for a day even if you p*ss your Guinness into it before you put it on.

Old 03-17-2014, 01:35 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,666,331 times
Will gays let you march in one of their parades with signs that read:

"MARRIAGE = 1 MAN + 1 WOMAN" or

"IF GOD MADE ADAM & ADAM WE WOULDN'T BE HERE" or

"GAYS COMPARE THEMSELVES TO RABBITS, SO STOP EATING ALL OUR FOOD"

Old 03-17-2014, 01:37 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,666,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
Today, it's more of a heritage unification observation celebrating the heritage and culture of the Irish. The true power of keeping gays oppressed is to keep them invisible. If gays are not visible, they don't exist, and the oppressors will continue saying things like, "well, only 2-4% of the general population is gay," which we know it is more than that. Oppressors want gays invisible, because if they are visible their acceptance will continue to increase, because all the stereotypes, myths and misinformation oppressors like to spread in order to keep gays disliked will dissipate.
Its not a gay parade. How about all the heterosexuals hold up signs "I AM NOT GAY".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies