Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 11:20 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,828,036 times

Advertisements

I think he should pay their tuition himself.

TALLAHASSEE: Gov. Rick Scott backs in-state tuition for undocumented students - Legislature - MiamiHerald.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2014, 11:44 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,459,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
I think he should pay their tuition himself.
I don't think they should be permitted to attend college in the US at all no matter who pays their tuition. But, if they're going to be allowed to, they certainly should pay out-of-state rates and not be eligible for scholarships. Let the illegals and their likely illegal parents who probably brought them here illegally figure out how to pay the entire cost.

Old 03-18-2014, 11:45 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,220,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
Idiot.

Old 03-18-2014, 11:51 AM

679 posts, read 614,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I don't think they should be permitted to attend college in the US at all no matter who pays their tuition. But, if they're going to be allowed to, they certainly should pay out-of-state rates and not be eligible for scholarships. Let the illegals and their likely illegal parents who probably brought them here illegally figure out how to pay the entire cost.
I can understand the gripe on allowing them to have in-state tuition, but I believe that if a person shows that they are academically capable of earning a scholarship, then give it to them. If they are smart enough to earn a paid college education, then I'd imagine that we would want to keep them in the United States, help benefit our country.

Old 03-18-2014, 11:58 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,717,736 times
It does show that when someone who was elected with the Tea Party vote knows which way the wind is blowing. Rick Scott also reversed himself on Medicaid expansion. Wheres the Koch Brothers when we need them.

Old 03-18-2014, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eborg View Post
I can understand the gripe on allowing them to have in-state tuition, but I believe that if a person shows that they are academically capable of earning a scholarship, then give it to them. If they are smart enough to earn a paid college education, then I'd imagine that we would want to keep them in the United States, help benefit our country.
They should be made legal first. We shouldn't lavish illegals with rewards.

Old 03-18-2014, 12:01 PM

Quote:
They should be made legal first. We shouldn't lavish illegals with rewards.
Making someone a citizen can be a long arduous process. I'm not saying "lavish" illegals in general, I'm saying find the really smart ones and give them a free college education if they are smart enough to deserve it. Then maybe while they gain that education we start them in on the naturalization process.

Although, that might be an interesting program. If you are really, really smart we'll give you your citizenship immediately. Hmmmmmm, I could get behind that.

Old 03-18-2014, 12:01 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,323,230 times
Is that the same Rick Scott who perpetrated the largest Medicare fraud scheme in the history of the world? The one who was voted in, anyway?
You get the government you deserve.

Old 03-18-2014, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eborg View Post
Making someone a citizen can be a long arduous process. I'm not saying "lavish" illegals in general, I'm saying find the really smart ones and give them a free college education if they are smart enough to deserve it. Then maybe while they gain that education we start them in on the naturalization process.

Although, that might be an interesting program. If you are really, really smart we'll give you your citizenship immediately. Hmmmmmm, I could get behind that.
They could be given student visas rather than citizenship.

Old 03-18-2014, 12:10 PM

Quote:
They could be given student visas rather than citizenship.
True, but you want to get all of the smart people to come here and then stay here, brain drain everyone else. So what if the US Government set up a scholarship program. Start it off with a student visa, but with a naturalization process that something like once you've acquired your degree you need to work in the US for the next 5-10 years or whatever and if you do so afterwards you will be a naturalized citizen.

Kind of similar to my brother's program he was a part of in Louisiana that they would pay him to go to school if he got an education degree and then taught in Louisiana for X amount of years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies