Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 10:22 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
And registerd in numerous places.....

Scan your VOTER ID....you would not be able to register numerous times...would ya...
I expect many people are registered in numerous places. Most people, when they move, don't make a trip to the county clerk's office to let them know they are moving. They just register in their new location. So the old registration is still in place. What you are saying is that we should be issued a single voter ID, and that we would be required to update that ID each time we move, each time we marry, each time we divorce. And it would have to be maintained nationally, so that our single voter ID would travel with us as we move through our lives. A national ID card, essentially.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2014, 10:24 AM

46,281 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
So you are advocating for a voter ID card that a person would have to update every time they moved, that could be scanned at the polling place. A national ID card, essentially?
No, a voter ID....there is already a national ID...for people old enough to vote, it's called a drivers license....if you live in a place where you don't have to drive, then get a voter ID....

You have to update your DL everytime you move...right?

Let me ask you.....I I gave you a $10,000 cash, your own deposit slip for your bank account, could you deposit that $10,000 without an ID?

Remember I said DEPOSIT, not withdrawl....

Old 03-19-2014, 10:27 AM

Quote:
I expect many people are registered in numerous places. Most people, when they move, don't make a trip to the county clerk's office to let them know they are moving. They just register in their new location. So the old registration is still in place. What you are saying is that we should be issued a single voter ID, and that we would be required to update that ID each time we move, each time we marry, each time we divorce. And it would have to be maintained nationally, so that our single voter ID would travel with us as we move through our lives. A national ID card, essentially.
No matter how many times you say it...no...it's not a national ID card, nor am I stating that....

So, when you move you do not register in your new place of living? Or what is the current law? How about that...

Old 03-19-2014, 10:28 AM

7,413 posts, read 6,228,856 times
Let me guess, they voted Democrat.

Old 03-19-2014, 10:31 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
Read more from Journal Sentinel: Milwaukee County prosecutors charge 10 with voter fraud

Another news story about a problem that doesn't exist according to most Democrats.
WOW 10 charged with voter fraud out of a population of 955,000!! Tell me, Trace, was spending millions of dollars ramming through voter ID across the states to weed out less than 1% of voter fraud? Of course not, but thinking people know that it was a way to keep US citizen minorities from voting

Old 03-19-2014, 10:45 AM

Quote:
No, a voter ID....there is already a national ID...for people old enough to vote, it's called a drivers license....if you live in a place where you don't have to drive, then get a voter ID....

You have to update your DL everytime you move...right?

Let me ask you.....I I gave you a $10,000 cash, your own deposit slip for your bank account, could you deposit that $10,000 without an ID?

Remember I said DEPOSIT, not withdrawl....
You are a college student, and your address has changed four times during the past year. Do you update your driver's license EVERY time you move??????

I have neighbors who have lived across the street for ten months. They haven't changed the tags on their car from the state they moved from, I doubt they've updated their driver's license.

And there are people who have multiple homes, in multiple states.

And again, Chad Gigowski presented identification in order to vote.

When I was in college, I had a State ID from one state, and a Driver's License from another. Why? Because when I started college I didn't have a driver's license, but I needed a photo ID. After I was in college, a friend taught me how to drive, and I got a driver's license in that state because my employer wanted me to have one.

So two perfectly legal, valid ID's.

I suspect that I'm not that unusual, that there a good number of people in that situation.

You've got to have a system in place where ID's can be cross-tracked. Where people can easily update their information. And yet where the ease of updating isn't a doorway to hacking. Good luck.

Old 03-19-2014, 10:53 AM

Quote:
You are a college student, and your address has changed four times during the past year. Do you update your driver's license EVERY time you move??????.
Same college, different address...same county....

Quote:
I have neighbors who have lived across the street for ten months. They haven't changed the tags on their car from the state they moved from, I doubt they've updated their driver's license..
Depends on if they are military, while military, you have to do 1 of the 3....new DL, insurance, or registration

Quote:
And there are people who have multiple homes, in multiple states. .
You have to pick one, as your HOR....

Quote:
And again, Chad Gigowski presented identification in order to vote..
And registered in numerous places....how do you suggest people stop doing that?

Quote:
When I was in college, I had a State ID from one state, and a Driver's License from another. Why? Because when I started college I didn't have a driver's license, but I needed a photo ID. After I was in college, a friend taught me how to drive, and I got a driver's license in that state because my employer wanted me to have one.

So two perfectly legal, valid ID's..
Where is you home of record (HOR) that is where you are allwed to vote....

Quote:
I suspect that I'm not that unusual, that there a good number of people in that situation.

You've got to have a system in place where ID's can be cross-tracked. Where people can easily update their information. And yet where the ease of updating isn't a doorway to hacking. Good luck.
No doubt, but lets do something...instead of providing a piece of paper that shows "someone" lived in that house at some point....

Because we know a piece of paper is much harder to "hack" than a computer....

Old 03-19-2014, 11:01 AM

947 posts, read 1,464,492 times
Quote:
What voter ID laws?

Or people voting numerous times or people voting who are not supposed to be voting.....
The Voter ID in multiple states that have been documented as preventing millions of legit votes.

Studies have been doing that these voter ID laws do not prevent fraudulent voting at all but instead prevent legal voting from taking place.

Old 03-19-2014, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d from birmingham View Post
The Voter ID in multiple states that have been documented as preventing millions of legit votes.

Studies have been doing that these voter ID laws do not prevent fraudulent voting at all but instead prevent legal voting from taking place.
I get so tired of hearing that free IDs are so hard to come by and prevent legal voting from taking place....

So, you say they were documneted...so where is the link...

Old 03-19-2014, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Same college, different address...same county....

Depends on if they are military, while military, you have to do 1 of the 3....new DL, insurance, or registration

You have to pick one, as your HOR....

And registered in numerous places....how do you suggest people stop doing that?

Where is you home of record (HOR) that is where you are allwed to vote....

No doubt, but lets do something...instead of providing a piece of paper that shows "someone" lived in that house at some point....

Because we know a piece of paper is much harder to "hack" than a computer....
Same county????

If I go to the University of Minnesota, when I live in Minneapolis I live in one county. When I move to St Paul, I live in another county.

If I go to the University of Arkansas, I can live in Springdale and be in Washington County, or I can move across town, live in Springdale and be in Benton County.

And even if I'm in the same county, polling places change. Maybe I really like my polling place that's two doors down from where I work, and my new polling place would be really inconvenient. So I don't want to let the county know I've moved.

My neighbors aren't military.

People don't pick one place as the HOR. They register their cars in different places, because of insurance and taxes. And what happens to them when they don't? How are you going to catch them? Different states have different computer systems, different software, different requirements for voting, for issuing driver's licenses. How are you going to reconcile these system to crosscheck ID's?

What I'm trying to tell you is that it's not so cut and dried. And as frustrating as it is, if you're going to have voter ID laws, then they have to actually ADDRESS the problem they are supposed to be ADDRESSING. There isn't any indication that these laws actually do this. If Chad Gagnowski is actually registering in multiple places, voter ID at the polling place isn't going to stop that. Instead of spending money and resources on voter ID laws, direct that money to county and voter registrars so they have the resources to keep their databases clean and updated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies