Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 05:39 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,197,482 times

Advertisements

Like why is this and what's the reason for the difference? For this thread id like to hear mainly women's opinions on this. If you're a married woman who votes for the GOP did you vote for them when you were single? Is it simply an age thing and not a marriage one?

I asked this question because the GOP chair said they don't have a women problem they have a single women under 30 problem(and its true).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2014, 05:45 AM

395 posts, read 546,069 times
My mother always she voted opposite whatever my father voted, to balance out the house

I do not, and have never, voted straight down party lines. I tend to vote for liberal social issues and smaller federal government, having essentially libertarian views. Therefore, I may vote for some Democrats or Libertarians locally, while I would vote Libertarian or Republican nationally.

I think marital status really doesn't have much to do with it, although perhaps you might look more into the religious views of people and how they tend to vote. And perhaps more women who fall in line with a religion, would marry rather than remain single.

Old 03-19-2014, 05:51 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,420,607 times
I vote pretty much the same as I did when I was single, and close to the same as I did under age 30, which was in the 70's and 80's. His statement may come from the fact that birth control and other social issues affect single women, and young women, to a greater extent.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:51 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
I am sure there are many reasons, but I am guessing one reason: as we age, we normally become more conservative and not so idealistic. Unmarried women, on the whole are younger, thus they are more liberal in their thinking. Again, I am generalizing. As for me, I was married at the same time as I became old enough to vote: it was 21 when I was a kid. I have always been a registered Republican, but have voted both ways. As a young, college person, though I claimed to be a Republican (the words liberal and conservative were not used then) I actually had some pretty liberal views on social issues. I was mildly pro abortion and I was against capitol punishment. I was totally in favor of equal rights for everyone. The only reason I even registered as a Republican was dad was one and I always did what daddy said to do. As the years moved on, I realized why I did what daddy said to do.

Old 03-19-2014, 09:11 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,324,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johmmittens View Post
Because single women generally aren't as responsible as married women, and have a lack of life experiences meaning less insight and more narrow-mindedness. Generally people wise up as they get older, and it just so happens that the older you get, the more likely you're married. Plus having kids often changes people's outlook on life.
All of this plus married women tend to hold traditional family values in higher esteem than their younger, non-married counterparts. Family values are not as big of a deal to young single women.

For me, however, I have always voted republican as I have always been a staunch financial conservative. Social issues are side attractions meant to rile the masses and obfuscate. I couldn't care less about candidates' stances on abortion, gay marriage, pot legalization. I have opinions about them, but they don't affect my vote in any way. Without financial health and strong economic policy we won't have the luxury to debate the more trivial social issues. I think younger single women are more often swayed by the social issues though.

Old 03-19-2014, 09:13 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,136,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
I asked this question because the GOP chair said they don't have a women problem they have a single women under 30 problem(and its true).
Christ, the only demographic the GOP DOESN'T have a problem with are rednecks.

Old 03-19-2014, 09:15 AM

8,653 posts, read 6,130,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
Like why is this and what's the reason for the difference? For this thread id like to hear mainly women's opinions on this. If you're a married woman who votes for the GOP did you vote for them when you were single? Is it simply an age thing and not a marriage one?

I'm pretty sure the majority of married black women vote Democrat.

Old 03-19-2014, 09:15 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,818,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Christ, the only demographic the GOP DOESN'T have a problem with are rednecks.
Just more racists rants from democrats.

Old 03-19-2014, 09:16 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,172,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johmmittens View Post
Because single women generally aren't as responsible as married women, and have a lack of life experiences meaning less insight and more narrow-mindedness. Generally people wise up as they get older, and it just so happens that the older you get, the more likely you're married. Plus having kids often changes people's outlook on life.

Single woman want "Uncle Sam" as a backup just in case they can't make it on their own. Married women have their spouse as their safety net.

Old 03-19-2014, 09:20 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,596,157 times
Is that a fact or your opinion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies