Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 02:23 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,389,527 times

Advertisements

I used to live in the mountains of NC and it was a huge christmas tree growing area. I knew several families who had tree farms. You made some great points. I live in a smallish apartment in Chicago and am always out of town for Christmas, so I don't even have a tree, real or artificial. My family usually has a 7-8 foot NC Fraser Fir. My Grandmother uses local cedars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2007, 02:42 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,873,039 times
We are getting a real tree this year,it should be interesting as we have two new additions to our family-Bassett Hounds.

Also having all my family come visit from Australia,should make for a fun time.
Most of our trees here come from Western North Carolina so we don't get the variety y'all out west have.

If I was going to go fake,it would HAVE to be one of those aluminium trees...

Old 12-05-2007, 02:52 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,663,974 times
Sorry ... I have no interest in the sap and needles ... the need to water ... the potential for fire ... and the hassle of going out to cut a new tree every year. Plus, I don't care how many reasons someone cites for why I should do it ... I don't want to kill a tree just so it can sit in my house for a few weeks. I'll take a reusable artificial tree anytime.

Old 12-05-2007, 02:54 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
actually there is, you can buy essential oils of pine, which is a completely natural product, made from the tree. And it is in a bottle...

Somehow just never seems the same, a tree for me , please

Old 12-05-2007, 03:06 PM

382 posts, read 954,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoAdrian View Post
Sorry ... I have no interest in the sap and needles ... the need to water ... the potential for fire ... and the hassle of going out to cut a new tree every year. Plus, I don't care how many reasons someone cites for why I should do it ... I don't want to kill a tree just so it can sit in my house for a few weeks. I'll take a reusable artificial tree anytime.
Exactly! Also, since the term "carbon footprint" is the buzzword of the day, do you realize that most big tree farm operations harvest by helicopter and then put the trees on semi's and shipped. Here in North Texas we get alot of Oregon, Washington, Wisconsin and other trucked in trees. Alot of fuel being burned to get that terrific fir smell and have many of them end up in our landfills. We bought an artificial tree about 7 years ago and have not had to waste money buying an outragiously expensive "two week" investment since.

Old 12-05-2007, 05:29 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
As an ardent Global Warming supporter, I whole-heartedly support the killing of trees. I don't celebrate Christmas, and I certainly don't want to bring a massive fire-hazard into my home, but I do what I can by cutting down and burning at least one tree every Arbor Day.

Old 12-05-2007, 06:00 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,389,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
As an ardent Global Warming supporter, I whole-heartedly support the killing of trees. I don't celebrate Christmas, and I certainly don't want to bring a massive fire-hazard into my home, but I do what I can by cutting down and burning at least one tree every Arbor Day.
Gross.

The reasons you guys stated (fuel and such) are yet another reason to buy trees as locally as possible like any other produce. If you don't want a live tree, that's cool. If you do, try to pick the ones that aren't grown and shipped irresponsibly. Buy local. Lots of regions grow trees. Go pick and cut your own if you can. It's fun, and a great tradition in my family. Could be in yours, too. Considering they are farmed, they are much closer to corn or cabbage than they are to old growth redwood. I'm sure none of you have compunction about eating spinach.

Old 12-05-2007, 06:27 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,257,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expgc View Post
Exactly! Also, since the term "carbon footprint" is the buzzword of the day, do you realize that most big tree farm operations harvest by helicopter and then put the trees on semi's and shipped. Here in North Texas we get alot of Oregon, Washington, Wisconsin and other trucked in trees. Alot of fuel being burned to get that terrific fir smell and have many of them end up in our landfills. We bought an artificial tree about 7 years ago and have not had to waste money buying an outragiously expensive "two week" investment since.
Shipping makes them more expensive also. I was amazed at the difference in price when we moved from Dallas to Portland. Another option is to buy a live tree that can be planted after Christmas.

Last edited by tigerlily; 12-05-2007 at 06:28 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 12-05-2007, 09:41 PM

20,341 posts, read 19,930,346 times
My 12 y/o son and I are going out and cutting ours down on Sunday.

Every year we go to a tree farm in Andover Twp, NJ that is run by Korean Catholic monks and then go out for pizza.

Old 12-05-2007, 09:48 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,440,752 times
The only live tree I would consider is one that I could plant outside afterward.

We have a fake tree that we use every year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies